Transpose of MIDI sequences

Suppose you have programmed a complex sequence trough p-locked steps. What is the most efficient way to program (and actually PLAY!!) sequences for easy and instant transposition to whatever base note? I would love to be able to change it live without too complex preprograming and on instant… like for example in Microbrute. You type in the melody which starts to sequence and then you transpose it according to key…

You can transpose a midi sequence using the transpose function on the Arp page (works regardless of whether the arp is on).

Hi,
I know two ways of transpose midi pattern on the OT.
The first is under the arp page, and the second is while using arrangements.
Both work fine, for me and have there special place for me where I want to use them.

But sometimes I just want to transpose notes inside a pattern without those two functionalities. I want that transpose change baked in on some patterns. By that I mean I want to transpose and make them “fixed”. I know I could record the midi into my computer and do this in a DAW, and record that into the octatrack back to get this - i’ve read that somewhere, but that would be ridiculous to do.

Does anyone know what I would like to ask?
:wink:

Thank you and have a nice day!

so you mean you want to end up with a MIDI pattern that basically is the correct (=transposed) notes as opposed to a pattern that just has a “-3 transpose” parameter anywhere?

hmm yeah I think short of a MIDI loopback (=connect a MIDI cable from “out” back to “in” on the OT) and recording the transposed notes to a free MIDI track, I think the only way is to manuall change each note to the new value :-/

cannot think of any other way that wouldn´t involve the arp transpose and/or arranger trickery.

1 Like

Yes, you are right, basically I want a pattern with 0, and a track with +2 lets say, but baked notes.
If I use the arp transpose trick, and I change pattern the transposition is on the other pattern too if I change back, because the arp belongs to the part and not the pattern.
But that’s not what I want, I want to make a pattern, copy it, and make a variation of it with transposing notes. The only other way I now can think of it is to use parts, right? But there are not much of them, I need them maybe for other things.

Ah, I will try this with the cable. Honestly, that’s something I could have come up for myself. If it works I think I could work with it, at least I don’t have to turn my computer on.
Thank you for that Idea!!!

1 Like

hmm if you parameter-lock the arp “transpose” parameter to a trig in the pattern, shouldn´t that work for you as well?

that way it SHOULDN´T lose the info when you switch patterns… but you´d always have to make sure all your patterns switch so step 1 always plays (i.e. no “switching patterns in the middle”).

this reminds me that I haven´t played with MIDI on the octatrack in a while… I guess I should go do that :wink:

1 Like

Yeah, it’s possible because plocks are on the pattern, but tedious to do. Imagine you have to do this on 64trigs x 4 pattern. What if i want to play pattern 1, and pattern 2 in a loop and want to change the transpose with arp on both of them while playing live? Then the locks are in the way.
I think it would be a good addition to do this in an easy way. But maybe I’m too “want this, want that”. Ill try it with the cable, it seems the fastest option I have.

You can record a track on another track, with a midi cable between in / out.
Play the transposed pattern with auto-channel, select the track you want to use for recording.

2 Likes

Thank you! Yes, xenosapien pushed me in this direction. It looks like it’s the fastest option for this “problem”.

2 Likes

Loopback seems the best way for permanently changing but won’t help you with the above. Separate parts would work and you do have 64 of them, that’s quite a lot. I often leave a bank when I’ve used its parts without using all the patterns, there’s still tons of room to do lots of stuff…

1 Like