Transferring sample names in c6?

This is annoying me:

Why do the sample names transfer if it is from an elektron soundpack,
but the names do not transfer when i send my own samples ?
There is an option i have checked in c6 that is supposed to send sample name.

Surely there must be a way to send my own samples with names, no ???

Which OS version is running on the Machinedrum?

X08 is the os version

I just tried a free program called UWEDIT, and it sends sample names, but can only send 1 at a time.
So why doesnt C6 ??

EDIT: Nevermind, it seems UWEDIT can only send .wav files , Not .syx sample files(even though there is a youtube video showing the person somehow loading a .syx sample file)…

This is ridiculous…

I’d love to know how to transfer names with .syx files to the Machinedrum, I always have to rename them. Doesn’t take too long on a singular level as the MD only supports fie names of up to four characters, but it gets tiresome if, like me, you tend to transfer say, 16 samples at a time.

I would have thought that, if they’re genuinely sysex files, then a program like sysex librarian (mac) ought to do the job. There are similar programs for windows, don’t know the name though.

I don’t own the machinedrum though, so I could be wrong.

Indeed! I’m using Sysex Librarian… Wonder why the file names don’t port over.

1 Like

In order to send sample names with an SDS dump to the MD, the Sysex for the name needs to be sent along with the Sysex for the sample, or after the sample has been saved to the MD. A standard SDS Sysex dump is split into a header section, and the data section. A sample name Sysex for the MD would have to be inserted between the standard SDS header and data.

C6 is supposed to send the sample name because the app was most likely developed to perform these functions. I do not know why is doesn’t do that for @milkyjoe when the option is checked, and I cannot check myself as I cannot run C6 on Linux.

UWEDIT is also developed to send the name of the sample at the same time as the SDS (between the header and the data), that’s why that works. Any other Sysex librarian doesn’t; they just send the SDS dump as expected by default.

If UWEDIT can send names and C6 cannot, then I think C6 is buggy. What about Transfer?

But C6 DOES transfer the names when sending the free elektron soundpacks . So why doesnt it send the names with my own samples ? Thats the question.
I guess i should try it on an older windoze os…

UWEDIT sends the names but only one sample at a time and it only works to send .wav files. It is supposed to send samples in .syx form too but it doesnt work for me on win10.

I couldnt find any options in Transfer to send samples to the MD. The .syx option only seems to be for sending firmware.
Please correct me if im wrong…

I took a look at one of the pack, Arcadix. The samples are in .syx format. I open one of the files and I see that indeed the name is included in the file. A .syx file is made up of one or more Sysex messages all in one.

I think that C6 sends user samples not as Sysex files but as SDS files. The reason I think that is because of your observation that it doesn’t send the names when the option is checked. This makes me think that when it is checked, C6 tries to send 3 things in a row for each sample:

• the initial Sysex header which tells the MD that it is about to receive a sample at slot ID x; then
  • the Sysex message with the sample name (which is what is failing either on the C6 side, or the MD side); and finally
  • the SDS sample data

If C6 instead created a .syx file with these three things combined, and sent the whole thing at once, I feel that would work, in the same way that the free sample packs work.

UWEDIT combines that SDS sample data with the additional Sysex naming instructions right of the bat, and that’s why it works.

I hope that’s a bit more clear…

Thanks for the reply.
If somebody can share how to get it to work (step by step) please do !
So far it seems there is no way to send multiple .syx samples with their names in c6 though.
When i have time, i will try it on an older windows os/pc and report back if it is os related.
I also wish UWEDIT could send multiple samples at a time but it seems you have to go one at a time.