Transfer speeds for Digitakt samples

Hey!

Just bought a few sample packs and feeding it to my Digitakt. I have read somewhere that it’s crucial to disable MIDI when using USB for transfers to make it go faster. Did that… but the transfer speed is still at 0,33 MB/s. Wasn’t that a flash drive? Why is it so slow? Am I doing it wrong?

The DIN midi transfer rate is 3125 bytes per second (that’s for the payload).

So 0,33MB/s is already mindblowing fast in comparison. That’s a factor 100 :slight_smile:

You cannot compare it to a normal USB data connection. It still has to adhere to the MIDI protocol and has to be send through the MIDI processing on the receiving end.

1 Like

Well yeah… and on the other hand there is Overbridge which uses the same port and now you tell me how much data per second is necessary to stream 8 tracks and whatnot to your DAW - so I wouldn’t say this is absolutely impossible to change that in the future… Maybe just a quick / lazy implementation with sysex … hopefully?

I guess max transfer speed would also depend on the max write speed of the +drive. Are there specs on that anywhere?

I wouldn’t count on future speed improvements, because (as I mentioned above) it’s not a normal file transfer (or comparable to audio streaming over USB).

All the data gets funnelled through the MIDI-in processing on the receiving end, which needs to examine each bit to extract the real payload from the MIDI stream (which is much more effort than streaming a 1-to-1 copy directly to the +drive like a normal file transfer would do).

I guess the MIDI-in processing part is simply (hardware-wise) not designed to give you much more speed than there is already.

The only improvement I can think of would be if they implement a real file transfer via USB (like on the Octatrack), but I’m not sure if that’s possible without any hardware modifications.