Transfer - Samples app for IOS... anyone here using it?

ahh! now that’s the way to do it!
i miss the sp404 resampling , i never should have sold mine. i feel like with this app and the m:s resampling is not as fast but def can get some great results now

Right? I’ve shamelessly owned and regularly used a korg microsampler since its release, so I too know the struggles of wanting near-immediate resampling. Being able to quickly grab an idea or bit of inspiration before the moment passes is priceless.
There are ways to get a better level of immediacy with this rig too though.
I pretty much always run MS audio through usb now, landing in GarageBand on iPhone and tracking back through headphone.

MS usb audio >
multi to lightning adapter >
iPhone 7 running GarageBand >
multi to lightning adapter >
headphones or house mixer.

GarageBand in this case can now act as a multi effects processor + eq + spectrum analyzer + sampler + multitrack recorder + Probably a lot more that I haven’t figured out yet.

This has allowed me to really utilize all 6 tracks of the MS for its sequencing/performance features (chance, live track mutes, automation, etc), and then use GarageBand as a sort of multi track recorder that can take over playback of the live ‘scenes’ or ‘loops’ once tracked out of the MS.

Back to the transfer app…

Ive been using the app all weekend, dropping fresh field recordings to the MS on the spot so I can make beats on location with the local sounds… (samples of knocking and stomping on the park bench im sitting on as a drum kit, ambient sounds from the nearby creek and general public park sounds to float behind the other samples, etc.). This app really has opened up the capabilities of the MS as a solid piece of travel kit.

5 Likes

I got my Model:Samples and have been able to hook up and use the Transfer app. It works pretty much as advertised! One very minor complaint with it - there isn’t really a mobile way to do file management with iOS transfers. I think it sends it to a generic “Uploads” folder. One small trick (which I will try) could be doing the organization on the iDevice and then just sending entire folders over already named how you want it to sort.

Also, even using the desktop app, it works pretty well, but I don’t think you can move individual files from a sub-folder out into a different folder. You can rename things, but things aren’t easy to “move around”. It’s only a minor nuisance, as you just need to think ahead and stay organized before transferring.

Any workflow tricks on iOS for slicing and editing samples? AudioShare is obviously a must-have, but today I discovered “Auditor”:

VirSyn’s “ReSlice” works pretty well, also (and is iPhone compatible). But for $8.99, you can some pretty powerful editing features with “Auditor” and a really slick U.I. It uses transient detection to mark the start points of all one-shots in an audio file, and then you can batch export them as individual .wav files to AudioShare. From there, send to the Model:Samples!

3 Likes

Lexis Audio editor.

This app is free, sums stereo recordings to mono, covers all the basic functions (slice, fades etc), saves in WAV format. It’s basic but it works.

2 Likes

FYI, the Transfer app got an update in the last few days - change log notes stability improvements and the ability to reverse your sample before sending it to M:S. The former item would be much appreciated if it’s for real, as the app was crashing on me quite a bit. Particularly when trying to move folders with 10 samples or more (even if all of them were one-shots). The latter item is a bit perplexing to me, since there is literally a dedicated button on the M:S that reverses sample playback. But it doesn’t hurt that it was added.

In the bottom right of the screen, there is a faded-out drop-down selector for “FX”. I have never seen this active - is this a placeholder for a future update, @alexalx666 ? Having the ability to amend samples with a bitcrusher, filter, or other FX before sending them over would be a very neat addition. Of course, you can already record the samples with AUv3 FX apps using AUM, but it’d be even more convenient to have the basics available in-app.

thanks for your feedback, can you please send that 10 samples to contact@fvcntion.net, thanks! FX dropdown is a placeholder for future fx, yes

Hi @alexalx666 I’m using the transfer app (iPad 13.5.1) with Digitakt (1.20a) - When I transfer a sample it doubles in length, the last half of the transferred sample on digitakt is just empty/blank, no noise. An option to disable this would be nice.

Thank you for your report!, I’ve sent you a private message

Would just like to say, i’m using this app to transfer samples from my Iphone to M:S, and it works like a charm. Works perfectly for what i need.

My workflow is to screen record snippets from youtube/spotify and then trim these in koala app. From there i transfer the samples to audioshare, and then use this transfer app from audioshare to m:s.

It’s really opened up the little white box!

1 Like

Any progress on the Android version?

Hey everyone, V1.8 of Transfer - Samples includes FX section, USB recording and saving of files locally. If you experience crashes or any problems with file transfer I urge you to contact me on Facebook or via email, there are some edge cases that I would really like to resolve. FB: https://www.facebook.com/transfersamples Email: contact@fvnction.net

2 Likes

Its for now just about file transfer, you can get it here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fvnction.transfer00&hl=de_AT

1 Like

Unfortunately the app did not work at all for me. Maybe my iPhone6s is too old and I don’t have ios12 on it. When trying to trim the sample and zooming in, it freezez and the crashes. The sliders also behave irratically. The reverse function does not work. However to download the samples to my model samples worked flawlessly. I decided to return the app, since it and will wait for improvements.
The idea is great but I’t didn’t work at all on my ios device.

Works for me with iPhone X, iOS 14.2, Rytm Mk1 OS 1.60A. The app records to .caf file extension/format. Rytm seems to play the transferred .caf file just fine.

Hi everyone, I want to test the uploading samples app for my M:S, from my Ipad. I have an Alesis IosDock II. Do I need a camera kit or I can use de usb midi port of the dock with an adapter directly to the M:S usb port?? I hope it’s clear, my english and knowledge of mac products are both sloppy.

I just use the camera connection adapter, transfer samples directly from iPad to the model samples with no issues.

Based on reading this I would expect that the IO dock would not solve your problem. The USB connection is meant for connecting with computers (or other USB hosts) and not for connecting with USB devices such as the M:S.

However I don’t own an Alesis IO Dock so it’s possible I might get corrected on this.

I suspect you will need to buy a CCK as you suggested.

what’s the update on this issue?

Fixed i believe. I havent used the app for months.

1 Like

I do the same with my iphone. Either grab samples direct or use the app to drop samples from iCloud sample folders quickly into the M:S without having to faff around with my laptop. Super easy. Use this connector - just £12 on Amazon - rather than the branded version and works perfectly

1 Like