Track Mute LED colors

W T actual F ?

I have a PURPLE mute light on a track. I was trying to copy a track to another pattern … which failed.

What did I do? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Edit { I suck at following the thread but Elektron are colourblind } / Edit

Magenta ≠ Purple :sob:

Sounds like it’s time to turn to the almighty manual and read about the different mute modes. Your DN has powers you didn’t know it had!

2 Likes

I’m there now. I’ve gone a level (of mutes) deeper than ever before.

3 Likes

The digitone mute colors are still confusing to me, it’s easy and obvious on the digitakt. From selected to not across pattern, global, and both mutes together, it is a bit annoying. For those who also have a digitakt (perhaps other boxes?) and don’t need half of it’s midi tracks, you can mute a digitone with, for instance, midi tracks ABCD. I’ve avoided this because even though I don’t use that many midi tracks, I want the option to so I practice using the digitone mutes. It helped me to go over the colors and mechanics of the mutes each time I sit down at the machine for a minute, but without it in front of me I can’t even remember what it means when one of them blue off the top of my head.

It’s not the greatest UI decision, but, it’s manageable. Confusing at first for sure.

1 Like

I find it a bit “form over function” myself and it was one of the things that made me decide to let go of the DN and go back to an A4 MK1, though admittedly this was during an earlier DN OS where the light behavior was even more confusing.

:red_square: + :purple_square: = :blue_square:

Have I got that right? This goes against colour mixing conventions !!!

The manual doesn’t mention blue lights.

its mentioned only once i think so its super easy to miss but its the last sentence of the mute mode explanation before the bold text tips

pg24
“Tracks that are muted in both GLOBAL MUTE mode and PATTERN MUTE mode are shown with blue lit
[TRACK] keys.”

1 Like

Tangentially, if func+track key selected a track while in mute mode, staying in mute mode most of the time would be a bit easier and a lot better functionality, in my opinion.

1 Like

yes its confusing

this:

‘…if func+track key selected a track while in mute mode’

would make it a whole lot better

1 Like

Yes, logical.

Blinking leds even with track muted also add confusion for me. I’d like an option to disable blinking behavior on all Elektrons.

It seems like mutes has never been Elektron’s strength.

2 Likes

I think the mutes should simply be the same as the Digitakt, using the 16 trigger buttons.
They should have the same colors(green and purple), and the pattern mute mode would even fit on the same page. 1 row global mutes and 1 row pattern mutes.

Then the track select buttons would always be track select, and if the trigger blinking stayed on those buttons it would be a lot less confusing.

Those 4 colored buttons are a mess, especially in daylight.

edit: Alternatively, they could combine one row of musical scale keyboard with one row of mutes.

4 Likes

mutes with trigger buttons would greatly improve things.

the different colors of the buttons itself dont bother me, but
what confuses me the most is that making a channel active in certain mode(s?) gives not the same colored backlit , like channel 3 active is light colored, making channel 2 active it lights up in Red.
these inconsistencies together with the complexity of the implementation of mute modes and Track activation, are truly confusing

3 Likes

Yep, same confusion here.
Every time I use the Digitone I have to re-learn those colors.
And every time after I figured it out, my first thought is: “this does not make sense”.

There should at least be some color consistency across devices.

4 Likes

Consistency between DN and DT for example?
It would be interesting to compare new MKIIs (OT, A4, AR) and DT/DN in that concern. Others are not RGB afaik.

At least I’d like some consistency on 1 device. Different active / muted state colors depending on modes for DN. There is some logic, but it’s not intuitive.

1 Like

Yes, I mean consistency between the new RGB devices, but mostly consistency between the DT and DN. I think the DN is the biggest offender, the dim red when a track is muted is sometimes hard to see. It’s even worse in daylight, when the colors of the buttons gets mixed with the led color.

But the thing that gets me the most is that green on DN is select while pattern mute is the same purple as the DT. So, now I can have a red, purple, green and a white led at the same time on the DN, while on the DT next to it these colors mean something totally different but also not? :exploding_head:

3 Likes

Went through the DN and this thread some more… I’m so confused.
A selected track is either green, red, purple OR blue!?
Sure, makes total sense… :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Rytm mk2 green is on, yellow when selected and on.
blank is off not-selected, red when off when has been selected
On the A4 mk2 it’s green is on, red when selected and on.
blank is off not-selected, yellow when off when has been selected
Opposite Colours when selected and on… :joy:

1 Like

The mute color scheme is totally broken on the DN. I can’t for the sake of me know where I’m at with these colors and it has been quite frustrating.

Why not put the mute mode on a row of the sequencer like on the A4 mki. There’s no need to give me red, green, purple, blue colors (color blind people were left out when they imagined this scheme).

I’m surprised to discover the DT is yet an other system (DT is like A4mki in perf mode?) because DT/DN is a nice combo and having to deal with different mute system makes no sense.

2 Likes

What’s next for Elektron?
A dedicated midi mute controller with an incredible feature : 1 color if on, unlit if muted. :pl:

7 Likes