Track Mute LED colors

I’m also a bit surprised at this. I use both and it it’s pretty strange that global mute isn’t green but red in the DN. I’ll get used to it I guess, but a bit odd nonetheless. There’s probably a good reason for it though :slight_smile:

2 Likes

so, how can i tell if i’ve muted midi tracks ? like,
my Grid mode doesn’t send midi out.
but my chromatic mode does.

WTF has happened.
i’ve had the DN for 2wks.
red meant mute. green meant playing.
now there’s purple and blue, and the manual is way too brief on what’s happening !

buttons didn’t use to flash, now they flash… Tracks 2,3, and 4 play/mute when i need them to, but i can’t get Track 1 out of either blue or purple. what is going on !? i was making so much progress in this song…

after 5mins i was able to get things sounding right BUT my muted tracks are now purple (not red).

1 Like

Sounds like you DNers have it worse than DTers! More colours and states!

The mute states and colours should surely be consistent across models from the same series!

You activated pattern mute mode, press [FUNC] + [BANK] to exit :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The mute LEDs on both digi’s really need to be more intuitive - personally I’d like no LED activity at all for muted tracks, and solid lit for unmuted with the option to set them to flash to indicate events set in prefs/project. The current scheme is just confusing and not conducive to working in a flow state because you have to think about what the LEDs are representing :poop: :joy:

5 Likes

this 100%

3 Likes

thank you, this is the simple explanation I was looking for! once the mutes get to be layered it starts to get out of hand.

Red is global mutes, Purple is pattern mutes. Blue is tracks that are both pattern and globally muted.

Page 22 of the digitone manual

2 Likes

I haven’t been active in this thread because I sold my Digitone a while ago, but I will say that one of the factors was the mute LEDs and their affect on my ability to feel a ‘flow’ with the machine. This is largely personal preference/approach, but it was significant enough an issue from me to feel a disconnect from the machine.

2 Likes

Yes definately will take some getting used to I agree, but it looks pretty nice!

so i’m plugging along, working on 5 different songs. navigating the mute situation, more through trial and error than understanding it.

i start song 6… and something is amiss. i am stuck in the mute vortex. my trial and error is no longer getting me where i need to be.

is there a clear, part of the manual or post that lays out exactly how the mute thing works?

Have you read over page 22 of the manual?

The word “purple” doesn’t show up in any searches of the manual I downloaded 2 weeks ago from Elektron. Hah.

1 Like

You are correct the manual says magenta. My bad.

Not sure what the attitude is for, it’s unnecessary, especially when, I’ve taken my time in multiple threads to try to help you particularly. I included the page of the manual I was referring too, you could have instantly looked there. Also post I quoted called it purple so I referred to it as such to not cause the person I was replying to more confusion.

3 Likes

admittedly, i play to learn machines and then access the manual as i go. BUT i almost always google AND check the manual before i ask a question. AND in this situation, yes i did read the manual. though in mine it’s on page 21. and it’s not helpful. (turns out i have an old PDF of the manual…)

so having the most recent rev of the manual is good. thanks for that.

doesn’t solve my problem.

i can play the sound chromatically, BUT it won’t play sequence. this tells me (maybe) i’m in PATTERN mute, not GLOBAL mute. which, makes sense EXCEPT even when (i think) i’m in GLOBAL mute, i can still play (chromatically) the sound. so, i’m all effed.

?!?

magenta bright =
magenta low light =
no light, magenta flash with trigger =
blue low light =
blue highlight =
green =
red, magenta flash with trigger =
mixed colors, low light magenta, with low light blues, and highlight blue =

I wasn’t giving an attitude in any way, shape, or form. I was simply making sure people realize that they can’t find “purple” since that’s what I searched for when I first saw the behavior.

1 Like

Yes, unfortunately the mute leds can be confusing. Hence, why I asked first if you read the page. You’d be surprised but a lot of people don’t.

Mutes only mute the sequencer. No matter which mute mode things are muted in chromatic mode should still work. The leds are blue if both mute modes are active which i find helpful for remembering what way I have things muted.

3 Likes

are there 3 or two ways to mute?

• pattern mute
  • global mute
  • and is TRACK mute a 3rd way?

this is a little off-topic, but is there a way to reset a pattern?

…update to my dilemma. it would seem my issue isn’t with muting but that i have somehow made a sound that will not sequence. and the culprit appears to be the ARP. this sound i designed will SOUND when i play, but not i sequence it. when i turn the ARP off, it will then play sequenced. obviously, my issue is not with mutes (although, i still do not fully understand it) …it is something else. either a bug OR i have done something wrong with the ARP.

Post a pic of your arp settings. Maybe the length is too short and your sound has too much attack to sound before the next note. Just an idea off the top of my head

Edit: just saw this was posted well over a year ago. My bad! You’ve probably moved on already :slight_smile: