TR Style Pattern Play?

Im thinking about maybe getting one and Im wondering if anyone can tell me if this does TR style pattern play? I have the MD MK2 UW+ and it doesn’t really do that. Thanks in advance.

I don’t remember MD but on DT/DN/M:S they look to do exactly the same… I’m missing something? What exactly are you looking for?

For those of us that don’t have a Roland, what is “TR style pattern play”?

once your in a Group Bank you can switch between the patterns by just pressing the corresponding sequencer button. you do not have to hold down the group button unless you want to go to a new group.

On the M:S, you just hold down Pattern and one of the 16 trig buttons to access the 16 patterns in whatever of the 6 banks you’re currently in. If you need to switch banks, then you need to hit the T pad for that bank first, then then trig button for the pattern you want (all while holding the Pattern button).

Related to this, do you know if you can trigger different patterns via Midi? Also, can you please tell me if you know if it can do instant pattern change, as opposed to waiting until the current pattern ends? Pretty sure some Elektron boxes can do this.

Being lazy and should probably just rtfm. Haha

They’re valid questions that aren’t necessarily answered explicitly in the manual.

You can change patterns via midi using Program Change messages. As with some other Elektron devices, you need to time the Program Change a bar or two early to have it kick in when you want it (can’t remember the exact timing offset because it’s a while since I’ve done it).

You can’t do instant pattern change. If a pattern is playing, the next pattern is queued (Pattern name flashes) until either the current pattern reaches it’s end step, or the Chg value you’ve set for it (which can be greater or less than the number of Steps in the pattern).

2 Likes

Interesting. Thanks for clearing that up!

I think I know what Acidtechno is asking. The answer is no.

Like someone mentioned above, you have to hold (press) pattern and then select the pattern you want to switch to.

On the Roland boxes, you don’t have to hold a modifier button. You can just play your patterns and have a hand free to do whatever.

I’ve requested this from Elektron for a while. Don’t think it’ll happen

1 Like

exactly what im getting at.

i saw a video somehwere a while ago of the MD MK1 where one of the software version allowed you to enter a pattern play mode similar to Roland. The next update however corrected this “bug.”

Blockquote You can change patterns via midi using Program Change messages. As with some other Elektron devices, you need to time the Program Change a bar or two early to have it kick in when you want it (can’t remember the exact timing offset because it’s a while since I’ve done it).

Blockquote

I saw a list of the program changes digits for different patterns, i don’t remember where…What are they. Let’s say I want to play C12 then A4…

Was it this one for the Analog Four?

M:S is the same, but it only it goes up to pattern F16. It’s just sequential numbers from 1 (pattern A1) to 96 (Pattern F16)

So to answer the question you have as an example:

C12=44
A4=4

1 Like

Thanks a lot. This will help the synth/drum machine world noob that I am in his quest to link Digitone and Model:Samples and make them play nice together :slight_smile:

1 Like