Touch Screen Interfaces, and to a lesser degree, Large Screens

Does anyone else here get immediately turned off by a large displays and touch screen interfaces? I’m not trying to be a snob or anything, it just never fails to deter me from a product. I was looking at the Waldorf Iridium and it sounded like everything I’d want, but when I see demos with the touchscreen I lose that initial GAS. To each their own, but just a silly thought when my Iridium boner left me after seeing the touchscreen operation and menu diving.

7 Likes

I hate these touchscreens and I do not want them on a musical instrument or in a car. I much prefer tactile instrumentation that allows me to take advantage of eyes off muscle memory. UI with most touchscreens seems to be a mass of compromises, IMHO, and they force the user into being less present in the moment.

7 Likes

No i don’t but if it’s not responsive or slower than working with hands on controls i do get turned off.

I can appreciate both design choices and UI.

3 Likes

Do you ever use an iPad ( or Android as music apps get better on them too ) ?
They completely drop the mechanical control. The trend is certainly toward more screens with virtual controls.

Isn’t a larger screen better than a tiny one ? That said it’s remarkable how powerful a direct, one control to one function physical sort of interface can be.

There certainly are more options for everyone to pick exactly the interface they want today. I think of all the Eurorack gear for instance that let’s you break it all down and create things that are completely unique and individualized, and completely without a screen if you wish.

3 Likes

I agree especially regarding cars and such. To me it’s also the bright screen. I get some eye fatigue staring at an OT MKII screen. I just can’t imagine doing that on a larger scale with colors for the amount of time I spend sculpting. Granted I know people work in DAWs, but I’m a hardware buff because I don’t like staring at the bright screen for hours. I do enough on my phone and work. Definitely comes down to preference, but not my cup of tea.

3 Likes

I don’t own an iPad, but I definitely see the advantages. It’s definitely a personal thing, but I got into hardware to get away from the screens and touch pads. Not that I would necessarily turn down a Black Box, Iridium, or MPC One if offered, but it’s not something I prefer or seek out. There’s just something more satisfying to me in sculpting sound with your ear mostly.

3 Likes

Does that mean you hate VU meters, too?

1 Like

Definitely not. I’d say there’s quite a difference between a VU meter and what amounts to an iPad mounted to your synth/groovebox.

2 Likes

You said sculpting by ear. I’m trying to decipher where you draw the line. How many pixels is too many?

1 Like

It’s not about pixels, we are in an Elektron forum after all. I’m specifically talking about the large touchscreens with full color display. Just takes something away for me personally.

Oh okay. Your original post says large displays OR touchscreens. So I was curious what is large, to you. Along the same line, how many colors is too many? What about colored LEDs? Only 1 color? 2?

1 Like

That’s fair. I might consider editing the title a bit. I wasn’t necessarily married to the concept, just a discussion topic, but I’d say that at a minimum the Black Box would be a good example. I liked what it could do but the touch screen interface just made me look elsewhere.

1 Like

BB has a nice colored display. So you don’t mind the display as long as it’s not a touchscreen?

1 Like

I’d probably mind it less for sure.

Honestly, I may just be one of those “went dawless to escape constant screens” people. I just feel I would get sick of staring at it. I sometimes get eye fatigue from staring at the OT screen.

What about colored LEDs? Also, do you mix your music?

1 Like

Hah I don’t think I’d be on this forum if I minded LEDs.

I’m just practicing the Socratic method, here. Feel free to tell me to piss off :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Currently all my mixing is done on the OT with what I would consider minimal EQ touchups in reaper.

Hah I have no problem with it. I do the same to my GF and she hates it. :rofl:

1 Like