Total recall overwriting kits

Hi.

I’m using the Rytm with the latest overbridge and firmware in conjunction with total recall for my projects. Yesterday I noticed something strange. For some reason one of my kit’s was gone. Today after fiddling around with it some more I noticed that there are 2 different kind of recalls. One which asks if the plugin state is leading or not, and one which just asks for a total recall or not.

Now the second one seems to be the destructive one, actually reverting my machine to a state where it didn’t have the kit (yet).

What I wonder is what prompts this?

Also… This can be a very dangerous feature if used wrong. If Total recall is indeed saving the intire project into the plugin, you would have to be VERY carefull in using total recall and non total recall projects side by side.

If for instance, if you would load a collaboration project, that uses totall recall, into one of your own non totall recall projects, it could in theory write over a whole bunch of kits, without backup and without warning. (Other then ‘Accept recall?’)

So it leads me to wonder;

• What is the difference exactly between the two recall messages and what prompts it? Will it be destructive i it detects a newer machine state in Overbridge for instance?
  • What exactly does total recall store for you? I (probably mistakenly) assumed it was the kit and maybe patterns. Does it store the entire project?
    Does this include samples?

Mind you I am still learning the inner workings of this beast, but Total Recall functionality seems to have upped the ante :smiley: Any help/explanation is appreciated.

Just open a new project and recall into that to be extra cautious?

Hi Sifres - I’ve been exploring the TR experience in another thread in an attempt to aggregate feedback based on user experiences/problems/etc. Judging from the light level of response there as well as here I’m guessing that folks aren’t digging too deeply into this yet. But it’s one feature that I really want to know as well as possible, as I see the real potential here to unlock the rytm’s power. But yeah, also major danger lurks as well!

Anyway, so here’s my take on the different recall options from the experimentation I’ve done thus far: If you have recall enabled and saved within a DAW project and you open it in your DAW, your AR will check it against what is the currently loaded in the active state. If the DAW project has recall info save that corresponds to the active state on the AR, it will give you the options: plugin state, device state, or cancel. Basically it senses a match, but there could be differences; perhaps you tweaked parameter on your AR after you last saved the DAW project. So the choice is yours as to which you want to update - DAW or deveice - and this is a good thing.

On the other hand, if you load a DAW project that contains recall data that corresponds to an AR project that ISN’T in currently in the active state, you just get the option: accept or cancel recall. Again, this makes sense to me.

Furthermore, I’ve found that while in a given project that’s recall enabled, when you hit the “re-activate” button in OB sidebar, you will always get the option menu. This is key to me. So depending on what you’ve been tweaking - AR or OB in DAW - you can choose the appropriate option to make sure they share the same data.

And yeah, TR does store EVERYTHING within a project - kits, patterns, samples, sounds…And this is GREAT! But you do have to think about what you’re doing. I had the same experience of losing a kit and a pattern and was at first confused. But thinking back over the sequence of events, I realized that I recalled the device to the DAW - not the other way around - after I had done a few things on the machine. Think about it: if you have a DAW project loaded with recall enabled, and then you create a new pattern on your machine, you’ll need to hit the “re-activate” button and recall device-to-DAW before closing out. If you do it the other way around, you’re simply recalling to a state prior to the last pattern entered.

1 Like

Thanks for that reply, not quite there yet, but your feedback is definitely helping! :slight_smile:

Yes, but…

Elektron should understand the dangers of user error.
A better UI would begin by considering TR as opening a different project, and, before opening as such, would prompt you to save the current project, as per loading new projects on the RYTM.

IMO.

1 Like

OB is in beta still. Feel free to forward your concerns to Elektron HQ

Yes, but…

Elektron should understand the dangers of user error.
A better UI would begin by considering TR as opening a different project, and, before opening as such, would prompt you to save the current project, as per loading new projects on the RYTM.

IMO.[/quote]
I don’t know, I’m beginning to think it’s pretty well implemented. I mean I hear you of course - I think all of us Elektron users have a bit of fear somewhere in the back of our minds re: accidentally losing something because of the way the file and saving structure is unusual and complex.

I mean, you’re always given a choice whenever you open any project with TR or activate TR in a project where it hadn’t been previously used. So as long as you understand whether OB has your most important new changes stored in the DAW, or if it’s on your elektron machine that you have the recent changes, you should be good.

I guess it’s on us to be aware of what project we have in the active state of our elektrons before even starting with TR. What’s loaded and when was it last saved.

I am struggling with the same issue here. I appreciate limitless options that those machines + Overbridge give but this opulence of choice makes it just hard to work in Elektron ecosystem. Seems like in many design decisions at Elektron, final word belongs to engineers, not user experience people. As a musician, instead of composing I find myself googling for hours, checking forums just to be able to… do basic things with Elektron. On those forums I see that there is so many more people like me, struggling to do even simple things such as recording down your tracks or recalling your sounds the way you left them. I mean, clearly, from user perspective there should be ONE “save” option. Thats it. No matter where you click it, on Overbridge or on the hardware, saving should happen on both and you should not be left worried about IF you recalled this or that memory. Yes, its probably possible to have 10 virtual memory banks but who cares… Lets make it simple, not complicated. There are simply too many options. Memory? We have two memories: normal and Drive+ (again, seeing forum, people struggle to understand the difference) and then on RYTM there is also issue of samples, we have two TR (from machine and from overbridge and each one of them… wipes out the other, destroying all your work? This is insane). This is far from sleek and intuitive image that Elektron would like to portray and it creates serious threat to Elektron as company. You don’t wan’t to end up as oversaturated, confusing “Microsoft” of the computer world just to see everyone switching to Apple… which in music world would probably be… Teenage Engineering or something. :wink:

Maybe there should be some step by step tutorials to explain possible workflows to people because again it seems like there is a billion way to work with Elektron. From my perspective, I gave up on composing on machine itself as I get lost in chain modes, and find myself lacking space for new patterns when I need it. So I am now trying to compose from Ableton Live, sending notes to boxes but keeping whole structure and arrangement in Live. And again, i found myself destroying part of my work just because I apparently clicked wrong recall option.

2 Likes

i came upon this thread while googling after just loosing a whole night’s worth of work because of, i guess, hitting the wrong button… :-/

1 Like

I’m afraid to use this functionality … i feel like icloud sync question do you want to Sync from the cloud or from this device ??? i don’t know apple do i will miss something or what ?

So i don’t use total recall ! I’m afraid to see this woman on the screen say’in now you will rebuild your kits “Twooooooo WEEEEEKKKKKKKSSSSSS” :

Btw : i’m sorry for the lost, it’s always a SHAME when things gone this way and i know what it is :frowning:

Scared of iCloud, prefer MyHardCopy, or IKnowWhereMyFilesAre😉

1 Like

A video tutorial of how to use Total Recall from Elektron would be nice. Or from anyone with experience using it.