Total Recall only without Overbridge latency?

Hi folks,

I have an ARMk2. I mostly use it as a MIDI instrument from Ableton and Logic rather than using the internal sequencer. I want to control it only via MIDI and I have 10 inputs from a Clarett 8Pre/OctoPre combo reserved for the AR so I can play live (I’m a drummer usually). This works great – no latency.

I’d like to use Total Recall so I can save the state of the machine with my Ableton and Logic projects. But these days, adding the plugin always adds USB/Overbridge latency compensation – even to the direct outs on the AR! It makes no difference if I disable the device/plugin – the mere presence of the plugin in a DAW adds the usual ~25ms latency, making live pad playing into the DAW impossible.

Is there any way I can save the machine’s state in a DAW without incurring the latency tax? Or are the direct outs only usable “live” when Overbridge is not involved, and I have to get by with loading projects manually?

Thanks

1 Like

Possible workaround:
Load plugin at end of session - save with total recall
Recall save state at start of next session, then delete plugin
Load plugin again at end of session to save
etc…

Thanks for this. I tried it for a bit, but it’s really tedious, because you have to preload the state with at least an empty or template project. You end up killing your motivation to make music with a bunch of accounting :frowning:

I think what I’m coming to accept is that I find it easier to use a Push with Drum Rack for this use case, and dirty it up with Softube’s OTO Biscuit and/or Overstayer to get a similar effect. It’s not the same Rytm sound — especially after 1.7.0 — but at least I stay creative.

I haven’t tried this, but why do you have to preload an empty/template project? I thought the point was to save the state of a project you are already working on?

Largely because if I don’t do that, being old and confused I end up mistaking the Total Recall session with a real project just by the lay of the land with the kits. It’s got to look like a Total Recall session (few kits, project-specific) otherwise I get confused and accidentally save it in a real project slot, potentially overwriting stuff I modified for one DAW project only. It’s my biggest bugbear with the Elektronses in general that I have to act like I’m managing a DOS filesystem. And you really have to be on top of this stuff to avoid losing work, so I’m constantly KIT/YES and saving projects to avoid that.