Total recall issue

So I’m pretty sure I lost a few of my most beloved kits but I’m just desperately asking here in case this has a solution. I have the totall recall function activated in my plugin + sync automatically on save, meaning everytime I save my ableton project, my settings in the A4 should be also saved. I opened a project from last week this morning, saved my kit in the project in A4 then save ableton project then closed it and open and recalled from the plugin and my kit is gone. The plugin says that last time I synked the machine was july 25th but I saved the project like 10 times this morning. is there any way i can get my kits back? else, wtf!! if sync automatically just randomly fails it will eventually erase lots of users material…

I’m currently experimenting with this because I had the same problem. My first thought is that it’s user error, but then, this functionality was never truly explained in any really lucid terms and these are important steps, so i want to try and nail down what’s happening. A question: does total recall save newly created kits while active in an Ableton session? That is worth experimenting with. The other thing is - I learnt it is maybe still important to save your ‘project’ on the device. Did you do that? Also, I want to experiment with saving kits on the device, vs in the actual plugin interface. Sorry I can’t be of more help but I’d like to get to the bottom of it also

Here’s one scenario:

1. Machine state 1 -> Ableton, hit sync. Device is in sync

2. Standalone device session, creating sounds, saving kits etc. we’ll call this Machine state 2

3. Machine State 2 -> different Ableton project, hit sync.

The second Ableton project now has different kits than the first one. To test this, we should resync between both sessions and see if the kits are retained.

We could also repeat this process, but instead of a standalone session, we create kits and sounds in Overbridge mode and see if they are retained after syncing.

Another question, is there a problem with ‘sync auyomatically on save’?

My current thought process is, it may be important to ‘save project’ on the device before opening and syncing with Overbridge. This way you can reload the machine state to what it was before sync.

An even crazier thought is, does the sync, sync projects? If an old set from 2016 has like only one project on the device, does a 2017 sync delete all my latest projects? I hope it doesn’t sync at the ‘project level’, because how would you get projects back? In real terms they are still apart of the ‘device state’

“Device Sync” never worked well for backup purposes. I think it’s an Apple “genius” idea that needs to be trashed. What is wrong with good old unambiguous “BACKUP ALL DATA/ BACKUP PATTERNS / BACKUP KITS” etc…
Device Sync is trying to be too clever and failing. I do not want the computer to overwrite my device’s data at the click of a button!

1 Like

I have a show in 3 days and I just had total recall delete my whole set because I loaded an Ableton project that had total recall enabled. I recalled to the plugin state and now my songs, patterns, and kits are gone on both my Analog Keys and Rytm. I’m entirely frustrated and panicking now. This isn’t the first (or second) time Elektron workflow has burned me, I think it needs to be simplified but it’s counter-intuitive and not conducive to productivity when I have to remake sets time after time.

Sorry to hear that mate… that really sucks.

Get your act together Elektron, give us a proper backup solution !!!

From the OB manual :

“When activated, Recall enables the plugin session to store the complete state of the device along with the plugin. When you save the DAW project on your computer, it also includes the entire active project of your device, including all kits, patterns, songs, sound slots, et cetera (similar to everything that is included when a project is saved to the +DRIVE). This convenient feature enables your device to recall its exact state, as it was when you left it the last time you worked on your DAW project.”

So yes it overwrites the Project… A “convenient feature” that enables you to lose a lot of creative work at the press of a button. Just let us backup kits and patterns on the computer without archaic sysex transfer speeds… pretty please! This is 2017 and the machine has USB, why can’t we have an app that allows access to the + Drive for quick backup and sample upload… ffs.

“Every time a new Recall session is initiated, during the first sync operation, the device, and the plugin agree on a unique code to identify the session. This code is kept in the memory of your device until a different project is loaded (for example from the +DRIVE, or from a different DAW project identified with another Recall session). Because of this identity code handshaking, the plugin, and the device can detect when the correct session is active. If you close your DAW project, or disconnect your machine for a while, and then continue to work on that project on the device while offline (not jacked into a computer via Overbridge), these changes do not necessarily need to be lost.”

OH really!!! It looks like someone has been in computer world for too long but still cannot write a good app. The whole point of a drum machine is that your work is saved on the machine and you don’t need a computer to make some beats… :tired_face:

Why does the plugin not keep backups of previous states to avoid the inevitable loss of work described in this thread???

Sorry I can’t resist another quote :

" Then, if you are after an Epic Fail Kick, click the tags Kick, Epic and Fail"

:disappointed_relieved:

4 Likes