Torso T1 Algorithmic Sequencer

Using two T1’s with 32 tracks during a live set would melt my brain.

5 Likes

its more about the separation of duties for me, regardless of track count.
also lets be honest here. its prolly just an excuse for me to order a white one.

2 Likes

I’ve been thinking about getting a second too… And yeah, the white looks real nice

1 Like

Yup, that works. Page 176 of the manual says, “Three track modes are available; Note, CC and FX. All modes operate in parallel.” I had that line in my notes where I noted that I didn’t understand what it meant, but now I understand. When you switch the track to FX mode, however, you lose the note output and probably the CC too. I’ve only done a quick test, and now I’m out of time because I have to leave my studio for about 10 days.

Yes. Using CC tracks in parallel, which frees up all 16 for notes, that would be 6 for the 3P with 10 left over for the SPD, which can take up to 19. That will cover a lot of what I want to do, but still leaves half the SPD lying on the table. On the other hand, since the SPD does instantaneous patch switching, that could help a lot. As you say, though, it’s a workflow thing where I don’t want to mentally complicate the percussion because I’ve got other instruments to play. I’m looking to do quality percussion, but minimizing the mental effort because:

which is why

I’m still thinking that a second T-1 dedicated to the SPD, with my original T-1 on the 3P with separate tracks for CC and note (which still leaves 4 tracks for the occasional synth) gives me the most natural separation of duties while taking advantage of the identical workflow on both sequencers.

The white partly inspired this idea, but it’s not worth waiting for if I do in fact purchase now. But I’m now looking at the Oxi One more favorably because its multitrack drum mode is just a lot more suited to the sample-style SPD’s MIDI-note-per-kit-piece, while the T-1 is better suited to the 6-synths-in-1 Nord Drum 3P. I do have my last bit of space where the Oxi One would fit, but dedicating it to only ever sequencing the SPD is another case of paying for a lot of capability that gets left on the table. And I don’t see ever going to the Oxi One for anything else because I basically don’t like this kind of sequencing very much. I only went for the T-1 because the dev said they’ve already implemented polyrhythms (discussed above), so I gambled that they’d crow bar the feature into the UI relatively soon. Same for the Midicake ARP, by the way. But Oxi One’s dev told me polyrhythms are nowhere on his radar, so it would be back to software sequencing when I want that. Still, the Oxi One has some cool generative features, and there is something appealing about a 128-position window into a percussion sequence as opposed to the T-1’s 16 positions.

Long time I have not been here so please forgive my lack of reading…
I am using a T-1 with an OT Mk2 and a modular rig.
I am wondering how to change patterns from OT to T-1.
OT is master, sending clock to T-1. Then T-1 sends clock to modular.
OT MIDI out to T-1 MIDI IN.
T-1 MIDI out to modular.
T-1 MIDI thru to Analog Heat Mk2 MIDI in. AH is connected to my laptop via USB, sending clock to Reaper.
Any help would be much appreciated.

EDIT:
Prog Chg IN is set to ON in MIDI trs section on the T-1 :slight_smile:

1 Like

Torso is exhibiting at Machina Bristronica in a week. ( thread )

1 Like

They were talking about a new product on their Discord a while back, saying it would be made public soon. I wonder if that’s what they ll do there.

1 Like

Seems like a slightly small event for a product launch for them? But I’d be delighted if they did.

I won’t pretend to know the first thing about product launches for music hardware, so I don’t know. But they did mention something about their new hardware coming out soon, and the impression I got was that it wasn’t a sequencer.

… and we are extremely busy with our next project.

More to be shared soon, we are very excited to reveal what we have been working on!

It’s another type of instrument, fulfills a different purpose and can be used with T-1 :slightly_smiling_face:

This was all shared around the end of July.

Yup! I’m on the Discord too. I’m hoping for a mixer, personally but I’m perpetually looking for better options there.

With the new features in the 2.0 update, is it now possible to have one track send pitch information and another track to send trigger information to one combined midi output?

I‘m not 100% sure if that’s possible because in all the videos the pulses from the first track (set to note mode) still trigger in addition to the pulses from the second track (set to FX mode)…

1 Like

I’m guessing a 16-part synth/sampler module to go with the T-1 that also powers the T-1.

2 Likes

I‘m not 100% sure if that’s possible because in all the videos the pulses from the first track (set to note mode) still trigger in addition to the pulses from the second track (set to FX mode)…

You can set midi channel output to none on the first track whilst leaving routing set to the fx track (ctrl + channel).

And this way only pitch information will be taken from the first track? So let’s say I have a pulse on step 1 of the first track (note mode, routed to track 2) that‘s two steps long and a pulse on step 2 of the second track (FX mode, routed to midi out), the midi output will only send a midi note on step 2 with the pitch information coming from step 1 of the first track?

As far as I can tell, pitch and velocity can not be separated from a note track.

Pulses on a FX track do not emit their own note triggers. You can treat those pulse as parameter locks for incoming midi.

For example on fx track place steps 1 and 8, lock repeats on step 1 and voicing on step 8. FX track receiving any notes between pulses 1 and 8 will have repeats, any on 8 onwards will have a different voicing.

1 Like

Surprised to hear this thing is hard to figure out.

I don’t really know how it does what it does so maybe this a stupid question… but can you play it directly from your keyboard/synth?

"A 16 track algorithmic sequencer at the center of your studio. The T-1 offers a generative workflow with focus on immediacy and playful exploration. Whether on stage or in the studio, the T-1 will inspire you with fresh ideas and help you push the boundaries of your music. In short, this is a fundamental rethinking of the sequencer as a modern, fun and inspiring instrument." (T-1 - Torso Electronics)

The Torso T-1 is a controller, so you would controll or seqence your Keyboard/Synth with the Torso T1.

1 Like

Ok I was thinking to use the arp functions etc. No I’d rather control from keys. Guess there is software I could use instead then.

There is fx tracks since firmware 2.0 where you can play the T 1 from an external midi keyboard if that is something you meant.

T1 Fx tracks.pdf (644.1 KB)

5 Likes

I’ve had a torso for a few months now and after an initial play it’s started to gather dust on the shelf and I’ve considered selling it.

But mostly only because I haven’t spent the time learning and understanding it to its fullest.

What would users who love this thing recommend to get more experienced with using it?

My initial idea was to work through the rather giant manual page by page. It gives quite good steps to practise each feature, but it’s quite the daunting prospect given the size of the manual.

Other than this, any other recommendations or specific videos that could help me in this department?

Any ideas appreciated.