Torn between first real synth

Here’s a Tim Shoebridge vid running through them

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xN9wOSxATRw

Polybrute over Rev 2 if you can find a deal on a used one, or if the new price isn’t too much.

The new Fantom is also a beast for pop/trap. Same with the Jupiter X and XM. I had the fantom, and will get an XM at some point.

I make trap/pop as well.

Out of all of these, though. Polybrute is what you can’t do with a VST. Rev2 is surpassed by Repro5, and the Roland stuff can also be done with Zenology Pro. Virus TI is amazing, too, and will always be a special synth to me.

I’ve owned every one of these, btw. Also owned Blofeld, hydra, quantum, prophet x, pro 3.

Out of your list, I would highly recommend the Rev2. Off list, Hydrasynth.

Also, start sequencing that Neutron with your Digitakt damnit!!! :wink:

Just curious, but why?

Analog 4 was my first analog synth, and I’ve learned a lot from it. Sounds great, albeit sweet spots take a bit of seeking out (which actually was a great way to learn subtractive synthesis). It’s a unique machine, and I think a great way to learn it is by reverse engineering some patches you like.

To each their own indeed, but just interested in your perspective.

1 Like

There was a discussion here around this a couple of weeks ago. I think it mainly boiled down to layout. For beginners or those new to synthesis you could argue that a more ‘traditional’ layout with more knobs per function and controls grouped around function assists when finding your way around. The A4 relies on at least a bit of synth experience otherwise it can be a frustrating experience.

1 Like

There’s really no need to derail this thread with yet another A4 debate, plenty of that elsewhere on this forum! And the OP doesn’t seem interested in it anyhow.