Toraiz is calling

Or even just pick up a Volca Kick when they come out to take care of the fat analog kick need

1 Like

Not a bad idea! Then you could easily combine and separate the sounds with out the need of programming a p-lock!

I WAS considering selling my RYTM, maybe I could do it quickly while everyoneā€™s trying to compare this to the OT.

Thanks, man!

Ah! The one thing stopping me are the probability trigs. I love those for a percussion machine! Thatā€™s whatā€™s stopping me. And Iā€™m pretty sure Electrons new item will follow suite of not sending midi either, so those abilities are trapped within their analog boxes(outside of a cv converter to midi for the A4)

2 Likes

and thats a good thing!

Like someone mentioned, the main strength of this at the moment seems to be for sampling/triggering a load of loops or as a straight forward drum machine. Do you have control over timestrech Multipliers/divisions or is it all auto? Iā€™m not sure Iā€™m using the right terminology, what I mean is can you dial in different lengths and speeds for a timestreched loop? Like specify how many bars/steps a loop should be streched to?

Edit - also does it audition loops at project tempo?

The toraiz is still buzzing in my head. I still think its expensive but it intrigues me. At the moment iā€™m putting up a live set in my OT and no doubt it will be more clearer and easier to do that on the Toraizā€¦ Butā€¦ The sampling time is an isue here I guess. Youve got an 8gb flashdrive but how about the sampling time per project, song or whatever you call it on the toraiz. With the OT you have got your static samples. Can you enlighten me a bit about that. I cant find it on the internet that easy and its not clear in the manual either.

Is the touchscreen multitouch?

For pinch/zoom waveform editing and selecting multiple pads/parameters etc?

This would actually be pretty great. In effect giving you a duplicate set of pads on the touchscreen for mutes/solos/new creative os features etc whilst you have the physical pads set up for something elseā€¦

Thinking about it, if pioneer wanted to they ā€˜couldā€™ even implement an OT crossfader scene kind of thing. If screen is as responsive as some users are saying then they could just have a touchscreen faderā€¦its not really necessary as they could just expand on the current toraiz ā€˜userā€™ touchstrip banks. But stillā€¦

If I was Elektron Iā€™d seriously think about beginning to use multitouch screens on future products. If they arenā€™t already doing so. It just opens up the potential for os additions exponentially. Obviously keep with the ā€˜physical knobs for all fundamental tasksā€™ current functionality, but having the ability to shoehorn ideas in After a product is finished, and not being limited by the hardware logistics, thatā€™s pretty next levelā€¦another company comes out with a killer feature a couple of years after your unit is released? Boom, no problem, just build it in via touchscreen. Wouldnā€™t work for everything but would be able to approximate a lot of functions this wayā€¦ Be interesting to see what pioneer choose to do with that opportunity.

Elektron should sue Pioneer.

1 Like

Why? They did not invent step sequencing or parameter recording even though lots of people seem to assume they did.

4 Likes

OT was more complete in 2010 than toraiz will be in 2017.

Pioneer need to step up their game. Lower prices or massively expand functionality.

1 Like

Elektron excel at pooling existing ideas in to new chains/workflows. But Iā€™d agree with the other post saying that they didnā€™t invent much in terms of individual aspects.

Pioneer in theory could beat elektron/akai etc at their own game and blend ot/rytm/mpc in to one box with the Toraiz but it seems doubtful right now. Not even sure they ā€˜wantā€™ the box to have that kind of depth. Seems theyā€™re possibly intentionally aiming the Toraiz at people that are looking for more straight forward alternativesā€¦ Iā€™d personally love to see it go the other way via updates tho :wink:

They did not invent the step sequencer but there might be additional functionality that elektron has introduced that might be IP protected.

I could see Pioneer stealing certain sales from elektron. Elektron is feature rich but some aspects are frustrating, not intuitive (becomes intuitive to those who take the time to learn it). The screen and slightly better build quality, UI to me is where elektron need to lift their game.

1 Like

No multitouch on the Toraiz.

1 Like

I just found the screen isnā€™t multitouch :confused: Weird design choice and a big shame. Hopefully that isnā€™t an indication of general lack of vision/ambition/insight within the development team.

2 Likes

You beat me to it :wink:

Iā€™ve been trying out different versions of Linux on my laptop, and settled with Ubuntu Mate. Some are happy with OSX, and others are happy with Windows 10.

Messing around with various versions of Linux, Iā€™m starting to get better at quickly figuring out the logic of an OS.

Having owned every machine Elektron has developed at one time or another, I have a very good sense of their UI design. Iā€™m not opposed to the OT myself; if the Toraiz didnā€™t exist, I might have ended up with an OT again instead.

When it comes down to it, I prefer Pioneerā€™s approach and focus with regards to UI design. You feel these things right away when you know how much they matter. With the gear I already own, and the way I like to create music, the Toraiz is more attractive to me. I think that it is worth the money as well. These are all my opinions.

Not too sure Iā€™d want the Toraiz to compete with the OT, I see them as vastly different in their approach to sampling, the Toraiz seems more streamlined and simple, the OT more powerful but in depth, I would like to see the OT have the ability to do what the Toraiz does, but I donā€™t think it will happen.

However, if the Toraiz development continues and incorparates aspects of the OT that I find indispensible then I think a lot of people will jump ship, which would be a shame for Elektron.

I suppose in their current states the OT is much more suited to creative sampling (which is amazing) and the Toraiz is more suited to perfoming loops in a pre-structured but still somewhat malleable way. I guess for me personally if the Toraiz addresses some long standing frustrations I have had with the OT - loop point handling, timestretch often sounding bad, sample hierachy, and user interface limitations, then I might be tempted to swap. What I think more likely though is that I will end up with both, I am tempted to hire a Toraiz for a weekend to see how it handles and performs though.

1 Like

I think itā€™s great we have options. I donā€™t really see things like some sort of futbol game battle between enemies.

4 Likes