Toraiz is calling

Yes it is a little puzzling about the even smaller than usual screen size of the Analog range compared even to earler Elektron machines isn’t it? I am not a make music by staring into a screen guy by any means, but the Analog range screen is not even a match for a Gameboy DMG :smile:

It does not bother me too much but given the small cost difference of a larger screen even if 20 £/€/$ was added to the retail price I would think it worth it.

I just hope as I get older and my eyesight gets worse Elektron will consider this, heh they are getting older too, so who knows maybe the next machine will have a large colour screen :joy:

1 Like

As evidenced from the chat, that’s another one of those subjective things, universal gear does not exist, for me it’s anything but a plus (though it’s not a device with any hold on me, nor even that side of the OT tbh), often more is way less, true even of the OT as a whole imho … finding the right gear for you probably always involves an element of compromise, but it’s gotta channel your ideas, not hinder them if you are not prepared to work around the perceived shortcomings …

There’s no decision that can’t be aided with use of an infographicmeme, this one’s easy from my perspective :wink:

4 Likes

It will be interesting to see how Toraiz develops.
For me it seems to be an easy to use audio-only Ableton-for-DJs/stemremixers in a box while the Octatrack is a much more complex instrument, with a heavy onus on the user to learn its peculiarities.

It seems a little strange that Toraiz would try to develop itself to be more like the OT rather than add more DJ functions instead.

1 Like

Aesthetic tastes are subjective but that is not what I was referring to. Visualisation helps knowing what’s going on under the hood and thus helps the workflow. Things like the compressors gain reduction, LFO speed, sample start and loop points, etc. Lifting those kind of things up to the surface makes everything faster and more fun. Plus it helps avoiding those moments when you come back to your project after a week or a month and you have no clue what’s going on, and you constantly have to reread the manual after longer breaks.

I mean you can’t be serious when you claim that you prefer the OTs screen size and resolution to the Toraizs?

1 Like

[quote=“mokomo, post:63, topic:30866, full:true”]
It will be interesting to see how Toraiz develops.
For me it seems to be an easy to use audio-only Ableton-for-DJs/stemremixers in a box while the Octatrack is a much more complex instrument, with a heavy onus on the user to learn its peculiarities.[/quote]

Exactly. I see Toraiz as a great complement to CDJs for doing a remix set, but not something you could make your own really

1 Like

One quick thing I’d like to add. The Toraiz’s mixer screen is seriously nice. It’s so nice being able to have such a clear, easy to see, and easy to manipulate way of changing levels, effects, etc. for all your sounds all on one page. I really value this.

4 Likes

FWIW I don’t have any interest in DJing, I do think the Toraiz looks more than “just” a DJing tool though, yeah I don’t think anyone is going to say that it is superior to the OT for creative sampling, realtime mangling and such, but for arranging and performing loops it certainly looks up to the job, more so than any prior sampler including the OT in some ways, emphasis on some ways.

3 Likes

I was about to say that you’re supposed to use your ears, not eyes - but I guess that I slightly agree on screen size being an issue. I would perhaps prefer a proper second screen app on tablet, though. Like ob on ipad.

But usability wise bigger problem on elektron gear is IMO track/project/sample/pattern/kit mess. That should be simplified A LOT. And perhaps my dream is some sort of graphical easy UI for a whole arrangementh on Elektron machine.

1 Like

I prefer the Analog series screen size, it’s perfect, forces muscle memory, if touchy glossy screens were useful to me I wouldn’t dislike interacting with the iPad so much, it’s just soulless - I honestly find the overload of colours and flashing lights as noise, blinding effect for me . . as I mentioned, it’s not a product for me, but if it were a better version of what the OT brings for me, it’d turn me right off with the bling tbh - I wish the OT or Rytm had a DSI filter at the end though !!

1 Like

There are a lot of DJs out there who are looping tracks in the Traktor or CDJ.
I believe Pioneer is focusing here mainly on those Ableton/Traktor target group.

1 Like

One other thing on the screens - since this seems to have evolved into a rambling chat (cool) - is that these old mono LCDs are proven reliable technology, they could still be working in 20 years and are easy enough to repair, newer more complicated colour screens maybe not so.

Perhaps there will be a great business oppurtunity in 20 years time (given failing eyesight) for screen magnifiers like you used to get for Gameboys :smiley:

1 Like

Can anyone comment on how the arrange mode works? Seems very similar to how songs are arranged in Maschine

I love small non color screens because they do t create too much stimulation to my eyes and brain. My rytm screen is ‘relaxed’

4 Likes

It’s an impossible mission to change people’s views towards the Toraiz if they have some predisposition towards not appreciating a luxurious touchscreen interface that not only makes doing everything a breeze, but a joy.

If you can’t recognize the great benefit of color coded pads & sequencer buttons that you can assign to different samples to make changes easily discernible, I really don’t know what to say. If you think lighted pads make sense on the RYTM, but not the Toraiz, I’d really think that would be quite dumb.

I’m not convinced by this whole Elektron screen being preferable argument. It sounds silly & ludicrous to me.

3 Likes

I’m with Prints on this one - intuitive workflow is a major factor in gear use for me. I’m very much considering swapping the OT for a Toraiz and this conversation is great to follow.

I’m not concerned about the screen lasting for 20 years, I’m concerned about getting ideas out of my head as quickly as possible.

1 Like

The sequencer looks like a complete ripoff from elektron.

Toraiz screen does look like it’d make mixing and browsing etc a breeze compared to same tasks on Elektron screens. 16 tracks is nice too. It’s way off in terms of OS features for me right now tho for that price. Like waaaaaaay off. Hopefully they’ll beef it up and I’ll take another look. For me personally they’d need to do a fair bit more than just the stuff listed on that ‘Update Road Map’ before I’d start to get hyped on it. Can see it being perfect for a lot of people though. Its like an anti-octatrack for all the people that didn’t gel with it or want something more like ableton for playing loops.

2 Likes

What about the sample start parameter resolution?
I remember this being a sticking point with you on the Analog Rytm.

Lol sample editing is glorious on the Toraiz. Not being able to edit the starting point of samples with fine-resolution is something pretty unique to the RYTM in my experience with machines that have the capability to play back samples.

1 Like

This is beautiful

5 Likes