Toraiz is calling

I’m so glad the Toraiz isn’t the Octatrack. The UI, although currently basic, looks clean and straight-forward. As the inevitable updates trickle in, they can maintain the easy-to-use UI, and tweak as needed. There’s even a clearly laid out roadmap so there are no surprises or frustrations from lack of dev communication. We still have zero idea about anything related to Elektron’s new box or any plans related to the future of the RYTM. The effects on the Octatrack have always sounded very lame to me, and without external processing, all the examples of tracks made on the Octatrack I’ve heard have a sort of “pinched” sound that I now associate with the machine. The Pioneer sounds super punchy, with a fuller dynamic range from all the demos I’ve heard. I had the choice between the two, and the Toraiz was a no-brainer for my setup and sound.

1 Like

Yeah as I said earlier the :elot: smokes the Toraiz in many ways, I don’t think I’d consider getting rid of mine as there are some very unique things it can do, for live sets based around lots of loops though the Toraiz makes the OT look clunky and limited with regards to number of loops and pattern/track/sample hierachy which seems a shame given that :elot: is only a firmware update away from being able to do the same.

I might end up with both although obviously I’d prefer not to have to.

Interesting, I like the OTs fx a lot, but your comment about the sound quality - do you mean the Toraiz has a coloured sound like a mastered track for instance?

I think all electronic instruments have their own sort of color; especially samplers with different convertors, and whatever algorithms they might use for pitch-shifting or compressed formats (like older Roland SP samplers). I’ll be able to finally get my hands on the Toraiz later today, and will report back. I wouldn’t say that things sound mastered on the Pioneer, and a lot does have to do with the samples used in the demos I’ve heard, but I can hear a clear dynamic difference when compared to all the Octatrack demos I’ve heard over the years. I’ve a told a friend, who performs with an Octatrack, that it almost sounds like there is some sort of tape emulator effect on the master (which can be good). The Toraiz lacks compressor or limiter effects currently; I think a good compressor effects can really make a huge difference so I’m eagerly awaiting the release of that.

Also, at first, I felt the DSI filter on the Toraiz was a gimmick (especially, considering the inability to modulate it in any way but manually, and how it’s only on the master). But now, it seems more comparable to something like a master EQ on an expensive analog console that can easily be applied to any sound source. I’m certain engaging it with a touch of drive, using the high-pass to cutoff mud, and using the low pass to shave off irritating highs will give some lovely mojo to my tracks.

2 Likes

The filter is just straight HP/LP right on the master bus right? If so it isn’t really going to be too useful to cut ‘mud’ frequencies unless you want to lose all your bass across the entire mix. Same for highs, you won’t be able to get surgical and dial out harsh frequencies without losing all the ‘air’… Ironically using the Toraiz filter for these kind of things will possibly make it sound like you’ve got a tape sim across the master and close to your perceived description of the octatrack sound :wink:

Guess you could solo tracks and resample individually through the filter and get rid of some unwanted highs/lows like that but seems kind of ballache considering you need to use a cable etc to resample post filter.

2 Likes

Yep. I just looked it up again. 32 seconds is the sample maximum. It might be because this is the time it takes till the a loop comes back around again at the slowest setting. Longer samples would need a dedicated file player track type or “one shot trig” kind of thing which they haven’t implemented yet (or have no interest in implementing).

I think they understand the Toraiz as an enhancement for DJ sets, not as a do-it-all production machine or as DJ gear replacement.

1 Like

That would require a sort of paradigm shift.
CDJs are ubiquitous because DJs are ubiquitous, and it is unreal to ask a traveling DJ to bring the gear they require to perform, especially when most use the same gear or are capable of adapting to the same gear (controller vs 1200s/Serato/Traktor vs CJs).
Turntables were the old CDJs, and like CDJs promoters were happy to provide a pair + mixer for the evening for everyone to perform on because it kept the flow going, the baggage fees down, and many promoters are DJs themselves and already own the equipment.

The exception being festivals, where each performer has a tailored setup and the promoter is providing several setups to rotate through the event, but I would say less than 1% of electronic music events are festivals.

To expect a Toraiz ready for you at the gig, one or more of many things would have to happen.
No.1, the Toraiz would have to become standard equipment for a majority of touring acts. Like the same way the CDJ is.
No.2 A drum machine / sampler in general would have to become standard equipment for most performers.
No.3 the Toraiz is going to have to resist any competition, and keep its head above the rest.
No.4 you’ll have to be a performer in big enough demand to expect the promoter to provide it, based on your rider.

Without any of the circumstances listed, has anyone ever expected an MPC to be waiting at the gig for them?

1 Like

I think they’ll be easy to rent. I can totally imagine being able to easily rent these at all types of DJ rental places that deal with Pioneer in the future.

Does anyone know if the Toraiz will play long samples, to essentially act as a multi-track playback unit?

…which is something I can do on the OT.

Nope, discussed above - I think it’s max. 32 secs per sample.

1 Like

OK - thanks. Wasn’t sure if there might have been a multi-tracked mechanism separate to one-shot samples.

1 Like

Called me too, I told em they had the wrong number.

3 Likes

Most artists will rent locally an MPC as they tour. The same goes for keyboards and other gear. They try to call studios within a week or less to rent out.

Let us know how it handles vinyl drum breaks bro.

There is a lengthy OT vs Toraiz post (1st hand experience) over on Muffs:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2338030

3 Likes

Thanks something to read while in the loo. I love my OT though. Nothing like it. It takes more time than other samplers, but once you have your slices and tracks in order you can zone out. It’s my weekend sampler when I have more time. My push2 is my weekday sampler.

Super initial impressions… I’m impressed. I went straight for the reverb; it’s a room reverb that can sound really metallic, but I was able to dial in sounds I liked on the snare. There’s a lot of range, a room size parameter, decay, and damp. It was fun to experiment with; not sure if I can parameter lock it, but messing with the room size made neat sounds.

The filter drive works exactly how I want it to work; at half way, it adds a nice usable saturation to the mix. It is like hitting a mixer hard; overdriving a stereo pair of Prophet filters with your mix is such a good thing. I already know this will be permanently set to at least 12 o’clock at all times on my Toraiz.

That’s all I got to say for now. I’m only ten minutes in. I already know I love this thing.

4 Likes

File organization is so much win :thup:

2 Likes

The pads are perfect. They feel so good.

1 Like

Better than Maschine MKII ?