Too tied to DAW plugins for my sound

Maybe you should have become a rock guitarist or a drummer. The career choice was wrong from the beginning :slight_smile:

I have actually played guitar, drums and keys with rock bands.

If you want to use a DAW, use a DAW. If you don’t, don’t. Plenty of musicians don’t use one and have engaging sets. Plenty of musicians do use one and also have engaging sets. 99% of people attending a show won’t care how you make your sounds as long as they’re good. Of the 1% that do, half of them probably wouldn’t actually be able to tell the difference anyway as long as you look like you’re having a good time.

Some of your points seem a bit weird though. Nothing will be more portable than a laptop - especially not a full live rig with multiple instruments, cables, power, etc. Personally, if I played live, I’d likely run all my gear into Ableton and mix/ do most of my FX processing there. It’s just too flexible and I’d never satisfactorily replicate Ableton fx chains with pure harwdare.

Laptop would have to be - laptop plus controller (e.g. Akai APC) plus sound-breakout (e.g. RME UC) at the very least. I could get more portable than a laptop, with an Akai MPC or Force. That’s a possibility, but I’d still be missing some of my preferred DAW hosted plugins.

I’m just rolling ideas around at the minute. I’m also not arguing the validity of DAW vs. OTB etc. As has been mentioned, it’s been done-to-death on here. What I may really looking for, is the potential to mix with DAW hosted plugins.

…or, if such a thing exists - an effects unit which would give me side-chain compression external to a mixer. That might get me there. One possible solution to that, might be to expand the inputs on an MPC or Force via USB, and mix on there. That’s something I’m considering.

Another possibility, might be to use my QU24 mixer as a front-end sound A/D converter, and route the channels into a DAW for effects mixing. Could be a faffy solution, but I might give that a go.

I see the sentiment all the time, “the audience won’t care”
That’s never my concern, it’s me that cares, and my mood effects the performance dramatically

1 Like

The majority of electronic acts that I respect use a laptop with Ableton live and a couple of instruments for the live part.

I too am tied to my DAW for some things, just roll with it. Keeping your production and live workflow similar means you are familiar with what you’re using. Less chance of forgetting things when performing.

It’s like riding a bike everyday and suddenly you have to ride a unicycle in front of a few hundred people. You’d do better on the bike you ride every day.

I don’t understand this. I also suspect it’s a linguistic or even a mental trick to allow you to move the goalposts rather than make decisions.

1000s of hardware compressors include a sidechain circuit. I have two cheapo rack-mount ones. I’m eyeing up the OTO Boum as a smaller alternative. The RNC (Really Nice Compressor) is even smaller, 1/3rd- or 1/2-rack sized compressor with side-chain that’s very popular in this forum. But these are “another box” and potentially counter to your portability needs, depending on what other gear you have.

Another approach would be to delegate the problem to the sound engineer at the venue. Take along just a multi-output sound card, plug all the outputs into separate DI lines on the stage boxes and ask them to handle it as if you were “a band”. They might have an appropriate compressor in the FOH rig. If you’re lucky. The good ones will enjoy the challenge so long as you’re nice.

1 Like

I finally added one of these to my rig. LOVE IT! I have my aux send 3 from my mixer to the side chain so I can duck many things.
For the price, the RNC is fantastic.
Eventually I’ll add the RNLA and get that saucy character I’ve read about

1 Like

I’m actually in a somewhat similar boat. Currently practicing a live set based around the Digitakt sequencing its own internal tracks and my Model:Cycles and Minilogue XD. Using Logic right now with a Scarlett 4i4 and running the DT with the M:C through its internal inputs as 1-2 and the MXD as 3-4.

For me, the limitation is computer processing power; I use my M1 Mac Mini to compose and produce normally, but I’m using my old MBP i5 16gb for portability. I’ve already conceded to using a stock compressor and a filtered sidechain to duck the Minilogue, but I can’t manage to get a similar situation going for the DT/M:C tracks with the DT’s onboard compressor. I initially tried Overbridge to just process everything individually, but that created notable lag and occasional audio artifacts and I’m nervous that that’ll crash the whole thing in a live setting.

Anyone have advice or experience with a setup like this? OP, I completely empathize

Maybe you’re thinking of synth plug-ins rather than effects plug-ins?

No tricks. No goalposts being moved. Why would you even think like that?

E.g. Fabfilter dynamics, EQ and mastering plugins. Reverbs, delays etc.

So, mixing using DAW hosted plugins, from various potential sound-sources.

I’ve made it this far in NGNY, which means I’m going to have to pretend I didn’t see this :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I’m glad at least one or two people don’t see to think I’m attempting to somehow trick them on this thread! :grin:

I’m avoiding Overbridge for stage-work. Adds a bit too much latency for my liking. Maybe going through A/D conversion would reduce your CPU load?

2 Likes

It absolutely does - it’s night and day performance-wise just using the Scarlett even with a low buffer versus trying to rig up Overbridge

I do also have to practice with my friend’s PA still (the gig is a block party) so the issue may be moot. But, like you, I just want to make sure things are as best mixed as possible.

You started out asking about minimising your live rig whilst continuing to band-limited side-chain your bass with your kick. Now you’re talking about EQs, filters, time fx.

This is what I meant by goalpost moving.

1 Like

They’ll still be plenty available in 2023

2 Likes

Started using computer on stage in the 1980’s with a DOS computer running Jim Miller’s Personal Composer to drive a Yamaha drum machine and a group of TX-7’s. Not because I wanted a computer on stage, but because I couldn’t find the musicians to play the synth based dance music we were doing in our small rural town. It worked, and we worked, finding plenty of jobs with our sound.

Now it is so much easier. The question is not should I use a computer. The real question is do I know how to perform with a computer on stage and not bore the audience. I hate watching acts that hit play and do nothing but adjust the mixer during a song. Consider the computer the back line. Supporting musicians there to make you sound better. Stay involved with the music and look like you are in control.

1 Like

Can you embrace the “rawness” and see it as a different signature sound of yours?

Accept the flaws and wrap them up into the feeling over a direct translation or even interpretation of your favorite studio tricks and tracks.

Distance yourself and reimagine and perhaps you can be not just accepting but excited!

It never has to be all or nothing!

Just played a theater/rock show with a friend who uses a few necessary backing tracks while he built up rhythmic/melodic guitar layers, then played live once the “band” bed was set and locked.

Ah, gotcha. I guess I got a bit confused reading through the thread :slight_smile:

Your idea of routing the mixer into the DAW is exactly what I was thinking. Idk how well it all works, and latency could be a problem (as I believe others noted below) but it’s worth testing out since you already have a mixer (presumably with usb)!

1 Like

Exactly! We’re all as bad each other. I’m sorry my post came across as mean. It was meant to be lighthearted.