Too much low end / cutting bass frequencies

Hello everyone, im sure this has been asked before but i couldnt find a thread about it.

i often run into the problem that some samples or toms have too much low end and fight over the bass frequency with the kick.
So i use a highpass-filter on these tracks. Often however i wanna use the filter for sound shaping, like LPF with resonance and lfo.
So i can do both. I would love to have a 2 band EQ in the AMP section per track.

Does anyone know any workarounds for this issue?

In the case of samples, re-process the samples to have less low end?

In the case of synthesis, you have to use indiouts I’m afraid.

IME the rytm shines the most when you can use the individual outs and track out to a board/DAW for parametric EQ treatments.

5 Likes

Thanks for the reply.

I was afraid that this is the only option, since i use the rytm standalone, straight into the PA. I dont own a mixer and not exited to buy one just for this.

My current workaround is to use a bandpass filter instead of a LPF so i can cut some low and aswell as high end.

yeah the BPF is your only hope in such a case. In some cases the bandstop filter might also help if you need to get rid of a particular frequency.

I often use an exponetial lfo to duck the volume everytime the kick hits…

2 Likes

Follow up question:
If i use individual outs for say the tom sections into a mixer to reduce some bass, will these signals be dry or after the delay, reverb, dist, comp section?

dry pre dist/comp - digital FX are on a shared global send

Sorry, Im not sure if i understood correctly,
individual outs have delay and reverb but no compression or distortion?

they can’t be wet as there is only one FX block - all voices go through it (and therefore come out of it) - the individual out tap is pre-fx - it can’t be post-fx

the shared comp/dist are also later in the signal chain than the tap for each voice circuit - so individual outs are just the dry synth/sample/filter/etc - no ‘fx’

4 Likes

yes correctly, reverb and delay are send fx and these fx are going to main out. also master compressor is for main.
but you can use distortion in the individual track page and this works also while sending to individual outs.

by the way, I have another problem with the Rytm. I find the transients to sharp and to short for the bassdrums - especially hardbassdrum. As soon as I add some more elemente in the mix like hihats, claps, a bass and some synths - often - but not with every hit - the transients are cutted or damped … sounds like “brrrr brrrrr mrrrr” - even with very low volume of the transient / click

I think you mean voice overdrive ? There is an old thread which does touch on a bit of an ambiguity here, but I think iirc it relates to the symmetry offset (wrt exact tap position)

This is where the shared global distortion is …

3 Likes

Thanks very much for the clarification!

1 Like

Wow did not know this. So if i want to record to my DAW with the processing by eg the rytm’s compressor I can’t do this via the indiv outs but only via the main stereo out?

1 Like

Correct

2 Likes

It would need 8 compressors to do that and then it wouldn’t compress the mix just individual voices… You can’t really send a mix through a compressor to compress it all but then split it back out to individual tracks…

Maybe you can get away with pitching the sample a bit up so that it will have less low end?

It would be so helpful to have the base-width filter of the Digitone even if it would be digital but I guess that’s not really possible.

3 Likes

Some kind of track eq would be awesome - plock-able too. It’s often not enough to just prep samples first - the overdrive, distortion and compressor can do really crazy things to a sample :slight_smile:

1 Like