To Digitakt or to Maschine?

Hi,

I am trying to decide to buy a Digitakt or a Maschine MK3, I’ve read and seen literally hundreds of reviews and demos.
I am so undecided because:

DT pros:

• Standalone gear
  • More focus on music production
  • Modulation, conditional triggers
  • Seems to have a great work-flow

Maschine MK3 pros:

• No limitation on sample size, stereo, can use VST (actually both a pro and a cons)
  • Responsive pads
  • Song mode
  • Arpeggiator and other fancy stuff
  • More easy to arrange patterns (uhm, not so sure)
  • Sample chopping is very easy

Please consider that my current setup is:

• Studio One Pro 4
  • Native Instruments KK 49S (MK I)
  • Audient ID 22
  • Softube Console 1 (for mixing stuff)
  • Arturia Beatstep Pro
  • Modular synth (Moog M32, Clouds, Maths, Rene, Disting MK4, uO_C, ES-3, …)
  • Seaboard Block (quite unused)
  • Too many plug-ins (Omnisphere, Serum, Predator, Komplete, Reaktor, Synthmaster, …)

I started with trackers on Amiga (in the 90’s) and then I switched to FL, Reason and finally Studio One, and now I realised that I am less productive because I am so distracted by all the stuff that I have.
This is the main reason that I am looking into a Digitakt, because it seems that is forcing you to be more focused on music production than browsing thousand of presets, samples and goofy around with options.

My favourite genres are: IDM (ok, so generic), industrial electronic, experimental/drone, rock-eletronic.

So I would like to hear your opinions, especially from who has tried both of them (and maybe are into same music genres)

Thank you for your time

2 Likes

I would definitely get the Digitakt…but also get Maschine software if you can. You can use the Digitakt with the Maschine software plus OB will be out soon.

2 Likes

You’re on an Elektron forum, so your answer will likely have a bias towards the Digitakt, however your assumption about the DT forcing you to be more focused is correct.
My experience with Maschine has been similar to what you described, plus its tied to a computer.

The DT will allow you more freedom, and Elektron have a history of improving products during their life cycle with regular updates.

You will no doubt hear negativity about the current state of overbridge, however that’s more about frustration born out of impatience rather something being wrong with the DT. If you want to track individual samples into your daw, then you just do it one at a time. It’s how things were done in the good old days.

Ultimately, I feel you’ll get a lot more out of the DT than Maschine due to it being a more flexible device. That doesn’t equate to being more complex, as maschine would probably win in that respect.

Or buy both.

3 Likes

Thank you both of you.

Yes, workflow (and standalone approach) is the main thing, that’s why I am so attracted by the Digitakt.

Anyway what is hindering me are some Digitakt limitations, such as sample chopping (it is not easy), no time stretching at all, and no song mode, polyphony is not easy.

If Digitakt had those features I think I would have no doubts.

So undecided :thinking::confounded:

Considering all the gear you’ve already got I’d go with maschine, it’s just that much deeper for actually taking all your current gear and making it into tracks. If you’ve got a decent enough computer I wouldn’t think twice about it. DT seems like a great little box but I think I’d prefer to use it on its own with one or two sound sources. I’m not saying you can’t make full tracks on DT, you definitely can. I just think maschine is deep and if you aren’t allergic to computers like many here it’s honestly one of the best bits of gear on the market for actually making music right now.

This is from someone with maschine mk3 and an octatrack by the way, I don’t have DT but I’ve looked into it a lot.

6 Likes

The OT has the features you want and a mk1 isnt that far off from the price of a new DT.

They hold value very well, so if you got the DT and didn’t gel with it, you could flip and get the Maschine

Neither. I say go to the store and get a big bag of “focus”. :upside_down_face:

Buuuuut seeing as you already have an arsenal of stuff, and no Elektron gear, I say get the DT just to feed your curiosity.

3 Likes
  1. Yes it’s standalone
  2. I’d argue the Maschine has more focus on music production, Elektron products have typically been sound-design/pattern experimentation
  3. Yes
  4. Absolutely yes

—-
Your gear seems pretty complete as is. If you’re interested more in sequencing than performing the Digitakt might be for you. With Elektron’s new buttons it will feel like playing a video game. It’s bizarre how much that little detail changes the entire experience(it’s fun).

Given your equipment, I reckon you’d get the most mileage out of the Maschine- I believe NI is supposed to be like Apple where each new product you possess is supposed to be very harmonious with your gear and it doesn’t seem like you mind being tethered to a computer(which, all the power to you as you generally get much further using a computer. Desire to play on hardware feels sorta like a pleasurable quirk to me.)

2 Likes

I have both devices and would recommend the Maschine if you’re not computer aversed. I wanted a hardware-only setup, that’s why I was looking for something that could replace my beloved Maschine, and I went for the Digitakt.

The have quite similar feature sets (of course, each one has special capabilities), both are drum machines, can handle samples, sequence external gear and are well enough to rock a complete set for a night (I imagine). They differ quite a lot in the overall workflow, but each one will keep you busy and happily jamming for years to come, don’t worry.

What I miss on the Digitakt:

• Pads. In terms of beat making the DT is more “brain-based”, with you programming steps, p-locking in places, setting probabilities and whatnot.
  • Sample slicing. My favorite thing on the Maschine is to chop up a sample and play it via the pads.

What I miss on the Maschine:

• Power-on-to-jam-time: 2 seconds. I get distracted by the computer easily and would sometimes end up checking my mails instead of starting the Maschine software :confused:
  • The LFO. You can do such crazy stuff with the DT LFOs…

I’d say it depends on how you like to make music:
If you need to “feel” the beat, work with your hands/body and having tactile feedback, go for Maschine.
If you prefer step programming and mostly work on sound design, fiddling with knobs and go weird and crazy, go for the Digitakt.

For me the Maschine feels more like a playable instruments and the Digitakt like a programmable instrument, if that makes any sense.

Just remember, all the hours of watching/reading reviews could have been used to actually make music :wink: Don’t worry about finding the perfect thing, you gonna be very happy with either one if you give it a real chance.

Anyways, that’s my approach and a bit of hindsight.

3 Likes

So I had a similar path to you - started out with Amiga trackers (and really productive with friends and hardware synths at the time), then going through Logic, Live, and getting bugged all done. Until I came across the Elektron machines which just clicked - same logic as the trackers really, all in one box.

Having used Machine Studio for a while, I’d recommend the Digitakt. Although the Machine hardware is brilliant - best pads ever - the software is more of the same.

…ur used to computer setups and ni software already…

aslong u don’t want to perform live, i see no reason why u should’nt go for the good mpc rip off from ni…the new maschine mk3 is a proper design with decent pads, even if they still blink in table disco fashion, that can do a full controler job in an computer based production sourrounding…

but if u look for an instrument, a musical one for real, and see urself also on stage, then the takt is right choice…but only then…
and yes, once ob is finally solid, the takt becomes a serious production sourrounding of it’s own…so…

1 Like

You’re comments and experience are so precious! Thank you all of you! :star_struck:

I am still very tempted to buy a DT over a Maschine, but I think that most of you are right, maybe a Maschine is, at the moment, the best gear to integrate in my current work-flow/setup.

DT is tempting me since it seems closed to old trackers with some funny/useful things on top (such as conditional trigger and LFO modulation)… It looks like little Renoise in a box (ok, it’s not so complex, but it could be its little brother). Argh! So tempted! :flushed:

Maybe I will buy one when it will go on sale (since it seems hard to find on second-hand sites)

Since you already have studio One which is a good DAW Maschine would not really give you anything new aside from the pads. If you want pads just get an Akai MPD.

Dont expect the DT to be better at producing full tracks than the DAW though, its more of an instrument than a production center.

1 Like

I was thinking to use it (Maschine) as a kind of instrument (drum, bass, basic melody) to sketch my ideas and then complete them in Studio One. I would like to use more as a independent gear than a common DAW controller.

AFAIK Maschine should allow me to create draft songs with minimum/zero PC interaction, so it should be able to improve (at least innovate) my work-flow and my focus.

As plus Maschine has a good sample-chopping and time-stretching that should be easier to be used and more powerful than current Studio One implementation.

That’s why I am so undecided, since I think DT can for sure provide me the same new experience (better for somethings, worst for other)

I tried using Maschine Mikro plus NI Komplete for a while, and I recently got a DT. I got the DT as experiment because I found it for a good price, so I can highlight a few things from my experience!

One, I could never get the hang of playing pads, which meant that I just ended up using the whole platform as a way to sequence things on the computer, so take that for what it’s worth. If you’re not going to be playing in your beats, maybe go DT?

Two, just in case it hasn’t been clarified, sample chopping on DT actually isn’t much harder than Maschine, even for a beginner like myself! I was chopping up samples from my iPad within a couple nights of playing.

Three, definitely don’t forget that the DT is an awesome sequencer that can talk to all of those other synths you have. This has been my favorite part of moving towards the DT: when I want a night of jamming and practicing on the couch independent of my computer I can do it, and when I want to control my software with the MIDI (synths, visuals, etc.) I can do that, too.

Either one is great. My vote is DT, but I think you have a pretty sweet setup as it is and either could fit in.

2 Likes

What chopping from an app and transferring the sounds to the DT?

In that case I would recommend Maschine. If you are looking for something to produce/sketch songs standalone then it will be better than DT. DT can be a groovebox and “sketchbook” but that is not what it was made for, unlike a sampler like an MPC which is a Music Production Center.

1 Like

I own both and have used both quite a bit, with more experience with Maschine.

I personally use both for entirely different types of beat making. I use Maschine for my synth-based and heavily processed beats. I use my Digitakt for my more trip-hop and boom bap type beats where less is more.

I actually enjoy sampling more with the DT over the Maschine. Not because chopping is easier or anything, it’s just more limited which keeps me more focused.

With Maschine the possibilities are almost endless and I tend to use it more for writing my own compositions from scratch rather than sampling.

I think of Maschine as an open canvas with a variety of mediums that can be used to create with, while the DT is a fancy sketchbook with some nice charcoal pencils.

You can’t really go wrong with either, but if you’re looking for a hybrid set up Maschine would be the better bet, imo. Most of the plugins you listed are NKS compatible as well so you could browse them easily on Maschine just like your KK mk2.

If you wanted a whacky way to sequence your modular gear go DT all the way.

1 Like

@killkrt - We have a big sense of your gear and existing workflow, but I feel like I still don’t know what you want to achieve, musically.

As per my reputation in these here parts, I approach the DT as an independent instrument, to be learned, practiced, and performed upon. I think it makes a great live instrument (just gigged with it last night…), and approach it like performing, even when I’m recording it in the studio into my DAW.

I have never used Maschine, but sense is, and much of the thought in this thread, is that, as a tool, it will integrate with your other tools well.

Of course - any such hard lined distinctions are just to hilight differences - each has elements of the other… and different people will approach them differently…

But it seems to me the big question is - are you looking to change your approach to creation? (I’m guessing you are…) Do you want to learn a new instrument? or extend your existing tool box?

2 Likes

I am trying to improve my workflow, and I am so undecided to what to choose:

• Maschine for sure would be the smoother change and it would integrate with my current setup with the risk to distract me more.
  • DT could be a game changer, but with risk to be (for me) just a fancy sketchbook that is too far away from my current workflow.

Anyway, I think that, at the moment, I will opt for Maschine and then maybe I will try to understand if I am ready to switch/include a more live-y instrument such as DT.