To choose is to renounce: live set realizations

EDIT: ok, this ended up beeing longer than I expected. sorry.

So, after many years of perpetually changing my live setup, I got to a pretty stable version: Digitakt + Octatrack + Fadferfox UC4 + a synth (used to be Audiothingies P6 - this last friday I debuted live with a Virus Snow instead, which is much more powerful, also multi-timbral). The Octatrack is (currently) somewhat underused - more like a mixer + sampler for transitioning. But hey, it works.

I’ve always been a bit phobic to big setups (although some could argue it’s pretty big already) - both for logistical reasons (I don’t like to carry too much weight, or spend too much time setting up) and also (and mainly) because it gets out of hand for me - I guess many here can relate to that; having to focus on too many things at once, not for me.

Since I’m planning to go on an European tour in August, I’ve had the perfect excuse to fixate on a even more portable set. For a long time I thought the logical option was DT+Virus + the smallest possible option for looping (just for transitioning) - since I already own a Soundbite Micro it seemed like the best option (can’t get smaller than that, although it doesn’t have MIDI - it auto-detects BPM - so I have to be careful to avoid drifting). I would just need to get a DJ mixer wherever I play, which I think is quite common.

I recently recorded a really long synth improv with a KeyStep and the Virus. Since I really liked it, I decided to do something I’ve never done - which is to play that long synth track on the OT, and use the DT for percussion duties. This made me feel much more focused on the DT, and also made me think I could develop other aspects I’m not capable of controlling (taking better use of scenes, for example - or working deeper on fills)… So, I’m now considering going the other way: DT+OT. Digitakt doing all the percussive work, and OT playing stereo samples, long audio files (all synths pre-recorded) and of course transitioning between tracks (much safer than the SoundBite Micro).

I don’t particularly like renouncing to live synth manipulation… but I can’t avoid feeling that it might help me focus on the overall performance.

Did any of you faced similar realizations when it comes to live performance?

3 Likes

I have OT, DT, A4 and iPad.
Love this set up)))
Similar to yours.
Thinking of replacing DT with MD

I have played out with the OT+AR+Beatstep+SV-1 +TT303 and had the AR in song mode, while live patching and sequencing the SV-1 (on the fly). I think you may be right about using less and concentrating on the external performance more, as I feel I let certain elements go on for too long in my set, while I was creating new synth lines and patches.
I also think it would help my brain (anxiety) not to have so many things to worry about in front of an audience…however there is something nice about live filter sweeps on a mono synth!

go all the way: sample the digitakt, put the OT on your rider and travel with just a CF card :crazy_face:

5 Likes

If you’re looking for inspiration for this type of setups, look for Voiski, he does it exactly like that except using Ableton, long synth samples in the computer, filter + reverb to play with them in a kind of organic way, and a drum machine for jamming the drum parts.

I’d say keep the thing you have the most fun with for your “play” side of the live show. If you prefer playing with your synth, maybe export drum loops or stems to the Octatrack and bring a synth with you?

And remember that you don’t HAVE to only play the drum parts with the DT, you can use single cycles, or even short melodic loops for some minimalistic ambient parts. Same for me, I really like using the Digitone live, but there are killer drum sounds on there too!

1 Like

I’m working on a set with the ableton simplr tracks on my laptop being triggered by the midi tracks on the OT. Also couple instances of ABsynth for ambient granular stuff. The output of my sound card through my space pedal, into OT. Bam. Bobs your uncle

hehe I thought of that! but I’m not at the level to demand such a piece of gear for a gig hehe

actually I was about to cite you as an inspiration for this setup! since I remember asking you about your OT-only set, and I really liked that idea of having stems for certain elements (in my case, synths), placing a trigger on the first step and just removing it when I want the synth part to evolve… it’s a pretty clever, simple trick.

I don’t know that Voiski guy, but I’ll look him up!
In terms of carrying a synth with me… I would rather avoid it since I like the idea of just having those two machines, but I feel a tiiiny bit tempted of getting a Behringer TD-3, since that’s a sound I can’t replicate (or at least not that accurately) with my synths, and seems like a really hands-on synth to have live. Time will tell.

And remember that you don’t HAVE to only play the drum parts with the DT, you can use single cycles, or even short melodic loops for some minimalistic ambient parts. Same for me, I really like using the Digitone live, but there are killer drum sounds on there too!

I actually do this a lot! I play a lot of melodic elements from the DT (both samples and one-shots or SCW) since I really like the sound of it, and the envelopes respond really well.

1 Like

Awesome! Thanks a lot!

I actually used this kind of setup for the few shows I played during last summer, melodic stems on the OT and drums on the M:S, and it worked really well! It’s fun to play along to your own tracks, feels like being in a band again :slight_smile:
The only downside is the time it takes to recreate the patterns on your machine.

Regarding bringing a synth, honestly don’t worry about it if you have fun with the drum machine! Just bring what feels good, and if you want to jam, just buy a Volca, they’re great, small, inexpensive, what more could you ask?

1 Like

I just remembered that little beast korg released - NuTekt, which is mono but tiny AF, and it could also make a GREAT FX processor… maybe CUE outs to the NuTekt and back into the OT…? sorry, it’s the G.A.S. speaking through me… :nerd_face:

My story is pretty simple. The last few years I’ve got to play 2-3 hours for three nights over seven days at a small music and arts festival in an art space created by friends of mine. I don’t mind saying this is the biggest gig I’ve ever had among a history of not very many gigs lol.

Every year I wanted to include a bit of “live PA” as we used to call it in my set and despite lots of experiments I always end up ditching that idea. Turning a few of those hardware jam ideas into proper songs in my DAW and then just DJing at the festival lol. I thought about complicated setups, bigger and smaller setups etc. I dunno, it just never felt right and I’ve never done it. With DJing I’m perfectly confident having only played for myself in the extra bedroom all year then showing up at festival and performing for people. With a live hardware setup, not so much.

It is also all mostly outside and I almost lost my PA and DJ setup to a storm the first night a couple years ago…

Sorry. Dunno if there is advice hidden in there somewhere. Maybe do what makes you most comfortable? I see people performing live like KiNK with these (to me) massive, complicated setups. I have two hands and one brain that doesn’t multi-task.

If I convince myself to try something live this year it be with only the Model: Samples and MonoStation b/c I simply have no budget this year : )

1 Like

yeah, Kink’s set is pretty insanely big for me as well! I guess it’s really personal.
Cenk plays with really big sets as well, although I think he alternates between machines… either case, still a lot for me hehe. I have a few gigs on February, then (if I have the time) I might focus on this new set strategy

You mean loading stems that are much longer than 64 steps, but let them retrigger every 64 steps again and then for variation remove the trigger on step 1?

1 Like

Yeah, you loop the beginning of the stem in order to make your transition for example, and when you feel the song can start, you take out the first step so the stem can play in whole

3 Likes

I guess having a bunch of pieces in a setup doesn’t mean each song needs to use all of them (referencing to what you said about Cenk here). I feel like I’ve mostly seen people try to incorporate most of the gear most of the time when it comes to big live setups, but maybe I’ve just not been watching closely enough.

I’ve also tried just raw practice to remember the songs, note cards, a note book, printed charts and graphs for each tune to remember what all is going on. None of it ever stuck for me.

1 Like

yeah, I always take some notes with me! although I try to keep them to a minimum - a playlist (I used to decide on the moment but sometimes that made transitions way too long) and maybe some notes regarding transitions for some tracks…

I’ve always tried to play with a set that fits in my backpack (now with the virus is barely there, super tight :stuck_out_tongue: )

1 Like

godddamnnn this guy Voiski is GOOD!
I listen to his most recent set first, which is actually only Alphabase and one FX pedal (laptop just for MIDI routing and compression) - great stuff, super energetic and intense.
I’m now finishing this one, which I think is the setup you mentioned - I think I like this one more since it’s a bit closer to what I do/like - really inspiring!

2 Likes

oh, and another thing that makes me a bit adverse to the Virus Snow setup…
the DT doesn’t send program changes when changing patterns, but when the first note hits… so, every time I unmute a MIDI track, the first note of the track sounds with the previously used program… which sucks. I’ll investigate to see if there’s a way around that - I think I already tried using a trigless trick on the DT and it didn’t work…

I had this issue when prepping for and performing my last live set that was sequenced by the DT - on one of my MIDI tracks the first note of the previous pattern would sound on the subsequent pattern if there wasn’t a trig there. Setting parameter/trigless trigs didn’t work for me either. I was using Pattern Mutes so my workaround was to remember to mute that track before the pattern ended, then make sure the following pattern had the pattern mute in place on that same MIDI track as well. It was annoying, to say the least.

1 Like

that sucks. what I’m trying to do is map the volume of each of the synth’s part, and turning the track on with the volume down first, then re-activating with a higher volume… also a pain in the ass