To be or not to be? Octatrack MKII?

Hey thank you so much for the detailed reply.
I once owned a MPC Live. Didn’t mesh with me at alllllllllll. Got a digitakt and took off like the wind.

The reason im asking these questions now is the OT is $140 off for the next few days. I’ve wanted one, so makes sense to get it now while the sale is active.

Again, I appreciate the response.
Cheers!

I’ve been using an octatrack for four years. I write songs on it, play solo live, use it as a looper in a band, record in the studio with it, sample with it, do midi sequencing, prep samples, the list goes on. Ive never used song mode once. I dont even know how to switch song mode on.
I think of octatrack as a three layer machine, 8track recorder, 8 track audio sequencer, 8 track midi sequencer, mixer, all at once, and you are free to configure it how ever you want.

It is a very special machine.

4 Likes

To be… https://www.instagram.com/p/B5tE_5ghouy/?igshid=fqbwzzlst9by

1 Like

Nice, glad to hear your explanation. Maybe I will use the song mode, maybe I wont. But it does seem there are some more intricate features on the OT that does set it apart from the digitakt.

And hey, listen, I love the digitakt. If I don’t end up getting the OT, im perfectly happy with the digitakt.
but I think there is a lot more to be discovered with the OT. but that’s just my humble opinion, having never touched an OT before.

Thanks again for the reply, much appreciated.

2 Likes

pfft, dude, that was killer. great job. definitely like the style there. thank you for the demo and for sure, keep it up. :+1:

1 Like

And to answer your question, yes, scenes make amazing builds, transitions, breaks, you name it. I usually have 2 types. Cross fader types, where the effect is done by moving the cross fader. And punch in/out types. Where the scene buttons are just literally a switch to turn the effect on or off.

2 Likes

Live sampling and resampling be da bomb.

The way I set it up I can start building my own sample library really quickly.

Which is the machines other great strength, you can set it up as you need/want.

2 Likes

So, be it!

1 Like

guess you saw that already?

5 Likes
4 Likes

Actually yes I did. This is actually the thing that made me question my decision to get it or not to.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply Mircotribe, that’s certainly one of the key features that I am drawn towards.

A thread like this pops up every couple months. (not a criticism, just an observation)
And the usual suspects certainly chime in with anecdotes covering the features that make the OT indispensable, for them.
Lists of pros, lists of cons, a video or two.
Some heming, some hawing…
This is a feature of this forum, not a bug.

Sometimes the topic starts as a transition from digitakt, or an MPC, or even an Analog Rytm. It really doesn’t matter where it started, since all roads lead to the same end.
So I’ll save the next 20 routine posts and say that in the end it is always distilled down to this:

There really is only one way to find out if the OT is for you. Get one, read Merlin’s guide, and really give it a go for a few months.
If it works out, then you will know. And if it doesn’t work out, then you will know.

And be willing to accept that if it doesn’t work out, you may let it go, only to be lured back to it a 2nd or even 3rd time down the road, since it can do so much, but in its own peculiar ways.

13 Likes

appreciate that AdamJay, you are right, I’ve got one ordered. I’ll give it a whirl and see how well I mesh with it.

Thanks man.

this post can be closed………………………

1 Like

As a new owner and made a similar post myself,
it’s the most daunting out of the elektron gear to understand and to know if you really need it. and is a decent amount of money to purchase too,
so pretty understandable people want to hear opinions before they buy

1 Like

no disagreement from me!

1 Like

Almost every month ! :content:

Definitely. My first 2 weeks were like WTF is this ? So annoying limitations! I keep my RC505 looper, I need an MPC 1000 again to complete it!

After 3 weeks : wow, this thing is crazily amazing ! I didn’t use the MPC nor the RC505 after. :pl:
After 5 years with the OT, I can say I’ll keep it forever !

4 Likes

the day you sell your OT we can close this forum

3 Likes

Amen. No way, I hope to die before that forum is closed !

And wouldn’t sell it for a MKII. :pl:

8 Likes

I never thought I’d buy an instrument that I would have to study a manual, guide, and watch numerous video’s in order to understand how to use it.

I started with an Arturia Minibrute just to avoid menu diving and key combo functions.

And now I’m diving into the love it or hate it OT and I’m ecstatic! But I have had the intro to the Elektron world with a Digitakt for the last year to work up to it.

I really enjoy the way it’s helped me to get a more organized approach to what I want to compose.

And it’s fun thinking of how I’ll be able to start figuring out how to use the OT mkii to put the 60+gb of skeletal tracks I’ve noodled and improvised over the years to use finally and all in one bad ass, hands on instrument!

As I’ve been working toward getting the money together I just kept thinking of Pedro from Nepolian Dynamite saying in my head as I thought of the OT telling me ‘Purchase me, and I will make all of your musical dreams come true.’

2 Likes