Octatrack:be or not to be…

Wow,thank you mate.I was waiting for that kind of example ,really .:pray:t3::wink:

2 Likes

Yes and no.

Yes and no.

If you want to nail two bits of wood together, you need a hammer. If you want to tighten screws, you need a screw driver. If you want to pull your car apart, you need a bloody decent socket set, a few screw drivers, hammer, and probably a bunch of other tools, and a damn good idea of what youre doing.

Thats the most important bit. Knowing what you are doing. If you do, then you know the answer to your question.

1 Like

Another element that is important is that the OT allows, due to its architecture, to be able to switch between different tempos, atmospheres, beats without changing the project. I use a pattern + 1 part (with scenes) = a jam, song etc… there are 4 parts per Bank (x16). it is therefore, understanding how it works, easier to switch from one style to another. Without stopping the reading and having possible transitions or not etc,. so pretty cool, because on maschine it’s still rare to put everything in a project! there are obvious limits on LOt and many things are simpler and more fun on maschine or other digi but as a ‘‘all’’ center and live fun it is indeed the best ! :wink:

1 Like

…once beyond three elektron machines at once, u cross another level of expotential realtime complexity that becomes counterproductive for many…

and if ur happy with that machine 3 already, there’s a another big questionmark why u really should add the ot now on top of that all…

so, i’d say…it’s more NOT TO BE…

ot has many tricks up the sleeve…but with ur setup as mentioned i really don’t see any essential advantages it could add to ur ballpark…but i see many reasons why it’s more likely to slow u down in ur workflow…work with what u got for now…it’s ALL there and right in front of u…

if u’ll find one real world point where u say, oh i’d love to this or that but i just can’t because of this or that…then, come again…

1 Like

It depends on what you want from it really. In some ways, Maschine is light years away from OT as a sampler. But in many more ways, OT is king. Best to research a bit as it’s an exotic machine, bringing things you didn’t even know you would use.

4 Likes

Yes,that’s true.My main goal is experimenting with the sound I could take from my gear.
I know there are some limitations,but from what I saw on YouTube on ezbot’s or cuckoo’s Sources it gives some unpredictable results and those fx mangling features could add something Extraordinary.
But as mentioned above, this can be counterproductive.

2 Likes

…if u only make sure, u can adress/play ur elektron gear via the pads of ur machine as an alternative to all the klak klak zak zak workflow they already offer, to add also realtime recording into their stepsequencers and also be able to sample various stuff from there for further resampling and mangling within the machine and u got one play button that starts the whole ballpark, u’ll have an endless array of sonic options and various workflows to become one at ur hands already…really no need to climb the ot mountain peak for now…

machine worx as a great centerpiece, has some of the finest pads to play and ur digi format trinity from sweden is already topnotch the way it is…so stop thinking, start mangling and creating…

2 Likes

Thank you all people for your advice!

The Mk3 has to be used with a computer right? If so you can use it to create base themes/your current workflow and then load samples over USB to the OT for live performance or fun experimentation while still being able to sequence/sync your other boxes.

That’s the path of least resistance it seems (if you really want to add an OT)

1 Like

Yes,that’s the way I’m thinking about.
I’m sure OT could bring something unpredictable to the process.
I also looked in the direction of push, but having a maschine already, I think it would be superfluous. In parallel topics, I read about push and its capabilities, that in principle it can replace all devices, but I like that in Octatrack a lot can be done without unnecessary dancing with a tambourine, and in Ableton you will have to prepare all this additionally.

1 Like

Roctatrack!!
:monkey: :sparkles:

6 Likes

Some of this depends on finances. If you add the Octatrack, it can start to cast a different shadow on your other gear. Depending on cash, maybe you will sell one or a couple. And then keep the Octatrack a while then sell and head another direction.

However, if finances aren’t much of a problem (which is a great place to be when considering the OT) then the Octatrack simply becomes another tool in your arsenal. Your Maschine centric setup still drives things, but then you add the OT when you need to, or instead focus on it entirely.

OT, Maschine and Push, while all different, all have the effect of wanting to be the centre of a setup, so adding a combination of these can complicate a workflow.

However if you think you can manage this, then you might find the OT can become an excellent live performance brain, while the Maschine more central to a studio workflow.

The OT has about 4 or 5 solid hats it can wear, so it doesn’t always have to operate in the same way every time you power it up. This can be a blessing and a curse, and then, you will always find new workflows with it that surprise you outside of the main ways.

The OT is highly experimental box, offering a lot of ways to work with sound. But it has a DNA of a two channel mixer I think, at its heart.

3 Likes

I use it with MPC One as sound module, or to playback stems i created in abelton live, its a somewhat hard to read maschine, which needs a lot of attention - BUT it gets better over time. So at the beginning its a little frustration, but if you learn it till muscle memory - then its not that hard. If you have any other Elektron Maschine, its quicker to learn.

1 Like

Yeah,that’s true.Well,I think I’ll grab one piece ,because of I’ve already sold Digitone and Syntakt and found myself more interested in sampling , it will be a great accompaniment for my equipment and workflow .

1 Like

Hi @Open_Mike !

OT = Occupational Therapy. :content:

3 Likes

That’s a shame - the Syntakt and Digitone would be fantastic with the Octatrack :laughing:

So to OP. OT was TO BE! :smiley: please share your early experiences if convenient. Would like to hear your views as I am also in my early chapters with OT.

1 Like

I found Digitone’s sound cold for me ,yes it’s got lots of possibilities,but wasn’t hooked by its sound .
As for Syntakt ,it’s nice device ,but the sound pallets looks narrow and some maschines ,especially chord, aren’t so attractive.

1 Like

Yes,for sure ,will send you my thoughts on it.:wink:

1 Like

Transmission received! Carry on with your mission.

2 Likes