Tips for buying a used MnM

First time Elektron buyer here. I’ve fallen in love with the Monomachine and I’m definitely getting one, but as I haven’t got enough cash to throw at a new machine, I’m looking to buy a used SFX60+ MKII. Since it’s quite a sum to spend on a synth that I have no experience with, I want to know if there are any common flaws/signs of old age to look out for on the used-market. Do some of the buttons and knobs wear easily, are there any other known glitches and faults? Appreciate any answers.

As you’re buying a Mk2 +Drive model, I wouldn’t be too worried. They’re the last iteration, so it should definitely have the rubberized knobs which make use much more enjoyable.

One thing I would look for is if it still has the original box. In my experience, gear that comes with the original packaging is typical better cared for. Not saying you should pass if it doesn’t have the original box (My Mk2+ didn’t, but the price was right.)

If you’re purchasing from someone who is the original owner, ask if they still have the proof of purchase. If the original purchase was less than 3 years ago, and they can pass the proof of purchase on to you, the machine will still be eligible for warranty repairs if needed, even after ownership has been passed on to you.
I’d say it’s worth spending $50-$100 more for a Mk2+ that is still under warranty.

I think there are common ‘rules’ for buying second hand gear, the MnM is no exception. I baught one on Ebay last year and I’m really happy with this decision. These boxes have three years (!) warranty - be sure that they are stable enough to stand this time…

An Mk2+ version is a ‘must have’ option.

just to balance it out

must have box?
and
MK11 only?
plaaeese, :astonished:

I have a MK1, 8+ yrs,

blown fuse in the first month, 1 encoder replacement, 1 led on the pattern steps is dull,
otherwise proven rock solid with extensive use in that time :+1:

not for sale btw

oh and i replaced the knobs about 6 mths in
(hate those square hard plastic ones)
in fact none of my E gear has original knobs, they dont have enough taper
for my liking, mine have a better feel and more space between

Turn all encoders in all pages and check for consistent data movement.

Also ensure that all encoders are perfectly straight. They are pretty fragile and can break easily if mishandled. Angled encoders (very slighlty) mean it has been repaired with glue,as I did with mine, wich runs perfectlcy fine by the way :slight_smile:

As for older models, I am the proud owner of a SFX-6 (so a very early model :slight_smile: ) and some strange things happen, like the pan of a track being altered by the volume knob of another track… But my other MK I runs perfectly !

Read much?

In my experience, gear that comes with the original packaging is typical better cared for. Not saying you should pass if it doesn’t have the original box (My Mk2+ didn’t, but the price was right.)

:thinking:

I recently bought a used MnM+ MkII off eBay from Switzerland. I had a bit more confidence because if it’s described ‘as new’ etc, then you have some come back if it’s not. Apart from the fact that I had to pay VAT on the import (I didn’t realise Switzerland was not EU) It was as described (virtually new) and I saved a few ££ off the shop prices. My old MnM (which I sold as I didn’t understand it at the time, but sorely missed it) had a faded line on the LCD screen, which never really bothered me, but something to look out for. I know MPC’s used to get this issue. Happy hunting :slight_smile:

Long time forumer/MNM’er and I am not aware of any consistent issues to watch out for. Check that you can send/receive MIDI, check that your audio outputs work, check knobs/buttons as mentioned. Check that you can make new snapshots in the MNM with “stuff” and then save and reload your “stuff”.

Optional: Check that you can send single-cycle waveforms using C6 if that is of interest to you. Check that you can back up your snapshots’ stuff using C6. This should be covered under your MIDI checks but you can re-check. Dubathonic is having a problem with C6 in another thread (see MD forum), so it doesn’t hurt to check this. But he thinks it may be a C6 vs. Mac issue.

well, i spent 600 for my mk2 + second hand in a shop, that means one year warranty (which luckily it didn’t needed)…

i was lucky but i saw quite a few around 700-750…
and tons of mk1 around 500-600

I m selling mine for that price (700) :slight_smile:

so you say you should definitely upgrade a MKII without +Drive to an +Drive-model?