Tiny synth to go with OT?

That sounds like a great duo! The OT I like because I also play guitar, so I really enjoy the sampling, and the streaming of long samples from the card. I just wish the OT had M:S and DT precision for tuning sample playback…

Got it. Could be tough without having a long list of possibilities and watching for second-hand bargains. Novation Circuit Tracks hasn’t been mentioned, but I’m not seeing those pop up used.

1 Like

Circuit Tracks is not a bad option, though I think I would be paying for a lot of features I would not be using in that case. I’m also not a huge fan of the nova synth engine, but I have not spent enough time with it maybe.

1 Like

I think if I had to pair only one “small synth” with OT, I’d go with something small and bitimbral with lots of available voices and a good bit of onboard FX to give as much variety as possible. And something small but without super tiny controls.

So Roland JX-08.

6 Likes

I had never seen or heard this synth before and I love it :open_mouth: it’s a lot of money for me, but it seems well priced for what it does, and it really sounds beautiful. Thanks for the recommendation!

Im looking forward to pairing the 0coast with mine.

Also the Strega is a cool option, it makes some really amazing pads even though it’s mono.

The Wingie2 is a resonator that sells for under $200 and is outstanding for sampling.

Obviously micromonsta2 has to be considered.

Its no coincidence but a lot of these synths are sold out quite often. High demand for these guys. I think due to the high quality and fair price for what you get.

Point is, don’t overpay on reverb. People are charging too much for some of these synths.

2 Likes

Here’s a few that are pretty small and affordable (I aimed for lower than the nanobox):

Nunomo Qun mk2
Nunomo Qun Pocket synth, $95
Fred’s Lab Zekit
Modal Craft Synth 2.0
Modal Skulpt
Korg Volca FM2
Waldorf Rocket (used one for $250)
Dreadbox Typhon (They have some b-stocks for $290 available).
IK Uno Synth Pro on sale for $299

6 Likes

I agree, as a synth its limitations kill it. But I’m keeping mine as a dedicated reverb. If I was doing live shows, I’d consider mounting it permanently inside of the Lyra-8.

1 Like

Korg digital reverbs are really nice, sadly the reverb and delay are the only things I truly liked about the minilogue xd

1 Like

I love my micromonsta 2 with the OT

1 Like

Really? I rather like the filter and VCO’s wave shaping on the minilogue XD. I thought it was worth keeping even if I don’t use the digital oscillator or joystick as much as I had hoped.

How small and how affordable?

I mean you could pick up a second hand Waldorf Blofeld for like $300 and that’s way more than you’re looking for

OP-1. End all GAS.

2 Likes

How are people feeling about the new OP-1 field? So expensive!
The og sounds so good.

Perfect description of a Micromonsta 2 :wink:

2 Likes

Great list. You just reminded me of one you left out: Fred’s Lab Buzzy

3 Likes

Another happy Micromonsta2 user here.
Bought mine a while ago, when I was at the start of my path into electronic music, still with me now that I have a bunch of other “proper” synths, and still using it in every jam I do, despite having a Peak, Wavestate and other stuff.
Love it to bits, 3+3 oscillators, bitimbral, great Arp features, Drive, Chorus, Delay, Reverb, 3 lfo, 3 env per part, easy to use mod matrix, various filters… Super portable and one of the best UI to me, it’s menu divey but it’s so well thought thats a joy to use.

Another interesting small poly/multitimbral synth is the Fred’s Labs TÖÖRÖ

https://fredslab.net/en/tooro-module.php

5 Likes

Oh yeh, Buzzzy is a great sounding little synth. Crazy that it’s 16 voice and 4 part multi-timbral, which feels super rare these days.

1 Like

I didn’t read your message before writing mine with a suggestion to check the Tooro from Fred’s Lab

1 Like

Absolutely, that’s why it’s on my list. You would have to accept limitations in versatility of course.