Thoughts on quitting, because it's all good

I’m in a bit of a strange place now, when it comes my music. I’m thinking I’ll quit. I don’t feel that itch anymore, not that inspiration. But strangely, I feel pretty good about that.

This has been a good year for me creatively, and if I ever had a need to prove to myself that my work can stand on its own, that’s now accomplished.

But it’s like I’m done, kind of. Not as in I’m giving up or I’m fatigued by the effort, but just … well, done. Like, I enjoyed this ride. I’m happy I took it. I don’t need to take it again. I don’t need to continue. Time to venture elsewhere.

Anyone ever felt like that? Quitting because you’re kind of happy where you are and you’re actually okay with letting it be and move on to new stuff now?

Note that I’m not saying I’ll actually quit. I’m saying, emotionally, I’m at a place where I’d be totally fine with it. And that’s just kind of strange, to not have that fire burning anymore and yet not feel put out, and I’m curious to hear if anyone else been at the same place and what you did, where you ended up?

44 Likes

Are you sure this isn’t just the relaxing period of satisfaction after completing a trilogy of great work? Enjoy this time. Listen to loads of new music without thinking about writing any. After a while, I guarantee the urge will come back! You’re an artist!

50 Likes

What he said :arrow_up:

He’s wrong about 303’s, but he is right about this :laughing:

35 Likes

I went through this with guitar, but in a different way. I was hurt in my military service, and I struggled to play guitar comfortably for 6 years. I have chronic pain in my shoulder that I use to fret. It cracks, and pops with very little movement. It’s like being uncomfortable all the time…I came to the conclusion that I’ve gone as far as I can go. After that many years of struggling to play comfortably, without pain, I felt a great relief when I sold my pedals, guitars, and amps.

I’d wake up, see my gear, and it was like I was torturing myself by holding on to it. Guitar was a passion of mine, and I really identified as a hobby guitarist.

I think I understand your feeling a kind of ‘journey complete’ mindset, and it’s fun to move your attention to something that engages you more.

11 Likes

i felt like that for photography. i had a burning passion for it for years, but then it just fizzled out and that was fine. now i just make jam videos and take photos of my kids and dog :D.

i usually let some things rest due to two reasons

1. im fatigued, everything i do is samey and i get writers block
  2. i feel content, i dont feel like i want to explore any more avenues with what im doing creativly… the fire is basically gone.

usually the cure is just to let things rest for a longer while. 1) usually takes a cpl of weeks for me to feel “hungry” again 2) (where your at) can take years at worst.

im currently at option 2) when it comes to singing. the sucky part about that though is that vocal training takes a long time and doesnt get easier with age, so the longer i stay away the longer it will take for me to get back to where i want to be (when i feel like getting back that is)

5 Likes

lmao :rofl:

2 Likes

I tend to take long breaks since it’s a hobby as opposed to a profession. Sometimes I’m just not inspired. Sometimes I hate that I’m not inspired and sometimes I just don’t care. I figure just go with the flow. If it’s not how you feed yourself, there shouldn’t be any pressure.

19 Likes

well said

1 Like

Knowing when to quit is good for the soul, though I’m going to miss those EPs. Go about drifting and I’m betting you’ll eventually find another creative outlet, if you don’t have another already. Appreciate your work!

I went through a similar thing with guitar. Played for years as a kid and just fell completely out of love with the timbre and solo capabilities of it it over time. After 10-ish years I stumbled into piano and craved it. Just recently began working with hardware and love that as well. Playing guitar might as well be filling out tax forms

I’m rotating , like they did in the past in agriculture to keep the ground fertile . There are periods i’m more into music , followed by photography (also my fulltime job) , and then there are periods where i’m preparing for an ultra marathon … when i’m not feeling the music i just stay out of the studio for a while , the inspiration or envy will come back , it always does …

3 Likes

Yes and no.

As far as the output is concerned, I still want to make things.

I just want to branch out.

I think I’ve checked off 8 out of 10 things on my lost of things I want to accomplish and I feel good about it. The output is a decent representation of my soul.

I’ve got another audio project I need to work on to satisfy the 2 missing bullet points- my love for experimental music and sound collage.

After that, then I want to shift over to writing stories coupled with the robust technology of our modern day to tell a intricate story.

Music right now does feel a bit segregated from reality and my mischievous hair wants art that interacts with the world.

6 Likes

seems like a grim prospect.

if electronics where to become non functional, i dont think i would live a life where i could sit down and enjot a bit of piano anyways… id figure id be to busy surviving…

2 Likes

you’ve only been doing this for a year … then maybe it’s not the right thing to do. i have been doing it for many years and i couldn’t even imagine it without it, it’s a kind of sideline activity and therefore it brings me back to my roots, whether one’s successful with it or not.

the only problem i have is laziness. i wish i had more energy …

1 Like

We’re friends now

1 Like

If your happy that’s what matters. Posts about quitting where it’s obvious someone is in a depression are the harder ones to read. We’re creative beings, and it’s not always art that needs to be the main creative outlet.

7 Likes

it may be good to consider whether you’ve gotten to a place where you feel like you’ve achieved your goals (sounds like this is the case) or if you’re burned out. it can be hard to distinguish the two sometimes. either way, there’s no shame in taking a break if the spark’s not there. maybe the break lasts weeks or years. that’s okay, right?

most people here (and the people i prefer to consider friends in real life) are engaged with the world in some way, whether it’s with some creative pursuit like art or music or being involved with the community or learning programming languages, etc. curious people tend to remain curious unless something’s really wrong. my grandfather was a hobbyist oil painter. he’d spend hours just sitting, smoking cigarettes, and painting. in his last years, medications impaired his dexterity, and he lost the will to create. it was one of the saddest things i’d ever witnessed — a loved one losing the joy he once had creating art. i don’t get the sense you’re there, at least.

years ago around my 40th birthday, i made a commitment to really trying to train a bit to become a stronger cyclist. i’d get up most days around 5 AM to ride with a local club of strong riders. my fitness improved dramatically. i felt strong, capable. after a few years of that, it just became not fun any more. i’d achieved my vague goals and didn’t need to prove anything to myself or anyone else. now i ride for fun. not every ride is a competition. i’ll still go for it here and there, but there’s no illusion of attaining my previous fitness levels, and it’s fine. cycling is not a career or some higher aspiration. it’s the same with music for me. my main goal in life is to be capable at whatever comes up. life is full of challenges.

you’ve proven you’re capable. take a rest if you want. it’s all good.

15 Likes

Been having the same consideration lately

Probably been listening to too many Brian Eno interviews :smiley:

3 Likes

I have a vague theory that electronic music is heading towards there on some level (and some of it already is there). A friend likened it to the notion of destroying a piece of art and only having a photo of it or a video of the destruction of it rather than the object itself, but that’s not what I’m thinking.

A lot of people I know who have modulars tend to make music as a way of listening to music. It exists in the moment and is gone when the power is shut off and the patch is disconnected, never to be recorded. It feels like a logical extension of the notion of “I make music for myself” and an alternative approach to the way music is consumed by people with voracious appetites for the new and unheard thing, which becomes dated shortly after release.

Probably a bit of a tangent, that…

10 Likes

There’s been a few times since joining Elektronauts where it feels that you and I go through very similar phases with gear and things :joy:

I can absolutely relate to what you’re going through. I’ve not done anything musical in a few weeks now. There’s no itch or inspiration. Now some of that is due to circumstances changing. My youngest, 10, has recently gotten in to Warhammer 40k so I’ve been helping him build and paint (very therapeutic actually) while my oldest, 12, has signed for a bigger local football team which has needed a bigger investment in taxiing him about. But I’m very conscious that I’m enjoying spending that time with both of them a lot more than I did up until as recently as the Summer.

So right now, I’m doing that stuff, then for “me time” I’m playing games online, watching movies, cooking more, exercising, etc. A hell of a lot more cooking actually - didn’t realise how great it is. The pandemic has very much changed me as a person - healthier, fitter, happier. I’m very content with my lot and quite comfortable with where I’m at.

So, will I quit music? Not at all. I recognise this as a prolonged phase. I’ve got an Osmose on preorder too and want to play with that when it comes. But I have scaled things back massively to just Push and laptop. I spent time converting all my songs, snippets, ditties to mp3’s so I can check them out whenever I like and feel like I will coast for now listening to my creations until I eventually think “Christ, I need to finally finish some of this and release”!

Never quite gone through what I’m going through before but I’m confident that at some point in the future I will have the urge again. I’m genuinely very proud of some of the things I’ve written and would love to properly finish them. Happy with kicking back and enjoying life without thinking about my music for now though. Will be interesting to see where I end up in 1, 2, 3+ years from now.

7 Likes

I can relate to your post. Actually I spend now much more time biking, hiking, and much less doing music. Im still following what is happening, but I just play from time to time just for the pleasure to play. But i do not try to compose or finish anything. It just play once in a while (typically twice a month) with some vst (diva or Tal J-8) and an Electra One controller and a launchcontrol XL. Im considering selling my few hardware synths since i do not use them anymore (moog DFAM, little deformer 3, …)

2 Likes