Thoughts on adding DN to DT? (as first hardware synth)

I’m weighing up the possibility of adding a Digitone to my Digitakt, in an effort to spend more time making music - away from the computer. I love the Digitakt sequencer, and am deeply enjoying the mental headspace and focus that not using a computer brings. :sunglasses:

Just wondering on what people’s thoughts are of the Digitone as a first hardware synth for someone who already understands the basic principles of synthesis via using VSTs.

My hope is that I could create entire tracks by using just the combo of the Digitone and Digitakt - or at the very least, the core ‘ingredients’ and idea - and I’m hoping to get some people’s thoughts regarding the possibilities, and limitations of that combo.

Thanks for your suggestions in advance. :slightly_smiling_face:

It’s a super productive combination. I synced them with a midi cable then sent the DT outs to the DN ins to keep the DT effects stereo. Some people go the other way to use the DT master compressor. The DN is my favourite synth. It is a little complicated at first for beginners, but take your time, learn one bit at a time with the manual in front on you, watch lots of videos and enjoy :slightly_smiling_face:

Edit: My technique was to work on complete patterns til something good popped out, copy that pattern to the next one on both machines, make changes to the patterns and change things up, next pattern, next pattern, etc til I had 16 awesome variations, then put everything into a DAW using Overbridge for arranging

7 Likes

Although the DN is perfectly capable as a subtractive synth (oscillators and filters), you will get more out of it if you’re willing to learn about FM synthesis.

The DN’s sequencer will seem very familiar to you because you are familiar with the DT, but it also duplicates the functions and has the same limitations as the DT.

Have you considered any other synth as something that you could sequence from your DT?

3 Likes

IMO DN is a very capable synth, either for FM percussive sound design, smooth drifting analog-like pads, or even nasty bass.

Note: if you’re not into FM, know that there are two filters (one multimode, the other bandpath) to tame the high frequencies from FM, or you can just use the two envelopes from the operators…
Lots of landscapes to explore with this synth!

2 Likes

Go for it. At first, just play with the presets and maybe a few sound packs. I would not worry too much about sound design at first.

/Thomas

2 Likes

The Digitakt and Digitone workflows are very similar, so you’ll learn it really fast. I’ve made some pretty complete songs with just Digitone and Machinedrum, so you definitely can make an entire track with just 2 pieces of gear. DN is very versatile in it’s sound design options. You won’t regret it!

Also as @craig said, run the outputs of the DT into the DN and you can them utilize the DN as a master effect for the entire Digitakt. Awesome combo!

3 Likes

Here’s some video tutorials for the Digitone :

And this one to set up Digitakt and Digitone :

Thank you Ivar!

9 Likes

There are a few ressources cited in this forum. Take the time to discover FM synthesis before you buy the synth, maybe: your ear might be more disposed to hear what you understood.

First thing first: the Tao of FM Synthesis made it seem simple to me :slight_smile:

Then you got a lot of links in different topics:

This is a bit deeper, but Gordon Reid’s SOS articles are still very relevant to learn any aspect on synthesis, IMO…
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/may00/articles/synth.htm

7 Likes

I’m a complete newbie in electronic music and, apart from a keyboard, the DN and DT are the only synths I have. I’d had never used a DAW before, nor any other synth.

And I really recommend them. They are both deep but very usable from the first moment. They help you stay focused on what you are doing and stimulate creativity.

Look at some tutorial, read the manual (after months I came back to the manual whenever I find another unknown feature: “so, what’s that compressor page I just found in the DT?”, “What is that retrig thing?”

All in all, I’ve learnt a lot of synthesis, I’m creating decent music, and I’m enjoying myself. On July I didn’t know what an envelope or an LFO was.

6 Likes

That sounds like a sick workflow. I think I would emulate something like that myself.

16 patterns x 2 should be ample material from which to arrange an entire track. Plus, you could sample the DN into the DT for further mangling. I continue to be amazed by just how far I can push the original sampled material into new sonic territories.

(I’m currently working on a track that took a rather pedestrian string sample, and now it’s basses, leads, arps, FX and an almost ghostly vocal sound :flushed:. All from one sample.)

Any further workflow suggestions are always appreciated. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Good work man - that’s impressive. Many spend far longer than that before even bothering to learn the basics of subtractive synthesis.

Thank you for those resources - I’ll definitely read those before committing to the purchase.

To be clear, I understand the rough principles of FM synthesis through using Ableton’s Operator - but I am far from an expert on the subject.

Obviously the DN is an FM synth, but if was to use it as a subtractive synth, would the sonic territory possible be vastly limited?

1 Like

We will want evidence of these tracks at some point! There are a few threads for different things. One is called something like DT + DN Only Music :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

How did you go wrapping your head around FM then?

Are you now at a stage where you can roughly dial in the kind of sound that you have in mind, or are you just experimenting and having lots of happy accidents?

Surely there is Cuckoo tutorial or similar on the Digitone that will break it all down, anyway. :sunglasses:

Something in between. My DT is second hand and came with some additional sounds. So, I look for something similar to what I want, and start tweaking from there.

At this point is difficult for me to imagine a sound and to create it from zero.

Thanks Craig - I’ll be sure to check that out.

(Although I’m sure it will only stoke the flames of the GAS) :grimacing:

1 Like

First off, the DT + DN combination is a winner on many levels, including size and immediacy. And if you want an FM synth, I doubt there is much better out there right now than the DN. So my general thought on this is “of course get a DN!” :slight_smile:

That said, if you are really looking for subtractive synthesis, you may wanna start with a synth that’s focussed on that.

I’m not sure what sort of sounds you are after, but I can at least assume you want something polyphonic given you’re eyeing the DN. Next question would be “how many voices?” And “does it have to have an integrated sequencer or would you be happy to use the DT’s 8 midi tracks to sequence?”

If you want to stay within the Elektron Universe (capitalised, baaam! ;)) I’d highly recommend the Analog 4 (Mk1 or Mk2 though I personally prefer the form factor of the Mk1). It’s a super capable and flexible subtractive synthesizer (that can also do a bit of FM) and it can be used in a 4-voice polyphonic mode. Awesome for leads, pads and (with a bit of practice) bass. It’s sequencer is comparable to the DT (but has some additions that make it a little more powerful, like pattern change modes & song mode). Price wise, depending on where you live, you could pick up a Mk1 used at a price equal to or lower than the DN (I paid £450 for mine)…which is INCREDIBLE value for what you get.

If you are not hung up on Elektron or having an Elektron-style sequencer built in, the options open up and it becomes a matter budget.

At the more expensive end, a Prophet 6 or OB-6 are amazing analogue polysynths with unique sound and joy for years.

At a mid-range-y price end for polysynths, the Novation Peak seems to be a crowd favourite on this forum. It’s a very nice synth for sure.

Similarly priced is a Dreadbox Abyss. It has (only) four voices but those are delicious voices (and it’s completely analog) :slight_smile:

Going for the cheaper end, you’re looking at something like the Behringer DeepMind 12, which is apparently great value for money (depending on who you ask). I struggle to recommend Behringer at any point, but the DeepMind I think is worth a look.

Something like the Korg Monologue also is an option. Also limited to four voices like the Abyss, I believe, but also on the cheaper end (like the DeepMind).

1 Like

I love that youtube channel.

1 Like

Absolutely killer combo. DN is also fantastic for sample creation.

And you can always add a cheap analog monosynth to the setup down the line. However, you might find that you do not have to, as the DN will get you very far - even in terms of emulating more traditional sounds. It is incredibly capable and as you know DT workflow, you will already be primed to dive into the parts that make it fun.