Thomann sold me a used up DK as B-Stock - is this considered fraud?

Surely they would check the serial number before issuing a refund? Either way they shouldn’t send an item out like this, very unprofessional.

“Used up” is an understatement based on those pics!

I’ve used Thomann frequently for their excellent customer support, so it’s a shame they seem to have dropped the ball so hard here.

Hope you get it resolved soon.

1 Like

I am just thinking out loud, did someone potentially do a switcheroo just to get a better condition Digitone Keys? I understand if it was broken and non-functional but this …. :dizzy_face:‍:dizzy:

your units serial number should match both the box serial and the serial number in your email receipt you recieved upon purchase. have you checked em against each other?

That’s a tarnished piece of kit you received. Hope it gets resolved soon.

I think Elektron had problems with coated buttons turning sticky for a while, would fit the date it was produced. Electron (or Thomann) should send you free buttons in that case.
Elektron device: on several of the boxes I had the volume knob felt wobbly, but when I opened the unit I found no problems with the pot, and they always worked fine.

Edit: here’s a thread about sticky keys on the D1

Good that they already said it was not refurbished, because now they have no basis for the claim that it’s a unit that was “replaced under guarantee”. But if they still do, demand to know what was the cause for the replacement, how the unit was repaired and tested, which parts were replaced, and why nobody bothered to clean it and fix the pot.

Isn’t the serial number also in the invoice or shipping documents? That would settle that.

That’s something you will never know. At the same time I find it hard to believe a company like Thomann would risk its reputation by deliberately sending you a ‘used’ product and refusing to take it back. Not too pleased myself seeing anyoning shaming a company or the other way round unless all real facts including proof are on the table.
You might be a bit pissed atm, but in the end I’m almost confident they will sort you out.

About a week ago I thought I lost my money from an order at Kytary. Payed but no confirmation and no reaction. In the end the mailed me with an excuse, and told me they received the payment. Got a tracking number the same day and the order arrived a few days later. Imagine if, in the meantime, I already shamed them in public…

3 Likes

This was my issue with the OP’s approach… holding back the name to be able to shame them later is a poor move, IMO… stating who the retailer is from the off based on the facts is fine and would then allow others to chime in constructively, like what’s happened since naming Thomann.

I also find it hard to believe a company like Thomann would risk its reputation by sending out a ‘used’ product when they state they don’t sell ‘used’ products (only 30 day returns), even when the proof is presented to them.

Anyway, I want to put it out there that when I started the thread and some asked me to name and shame the company in question I did not, I felt confident they were taking the time to find out what happened. So its not as if I started this thread full of rage and wanting to tear them down.

Might be worth check the serial and seeing if it was ever registered online… not totally sure but it sounds like based on there rules of “bstock” it should technically be under factory warranty by elektron although looking at the device it is almost certainly not.

1 Like

Let me put it this way respectfully, I did not want to name them as I wanted to give them a chance to do the right thing instead of straight going into “kicking up a fuss and having them react” mode, so it would show they can take care of customers without having to resort to “pitchforks at the gate”. If I went full on shaming mode, we would not have known that.

And what difference does it make from me officially stating it then or now? I think people are still chiming in constructively now. Would the comments been even more valid a few days ago?

Well, look on the bright side, at least the plastic film is still on the screen.

7 Likes

The keyboard stand I ordered with it is rather nice too!

1 Like

one thing to consider in all of this is that maybe thomann’s got egg on their face because they accepted back something they shouldn’t have in their 30-day window and they’re trying to reconcile just wtf happened on their end while trying to take care of you.

1 Like

See this… it might be a cultural thing (I know you said you’re in Asia) where you think naming them is shaming them and disrepectful(?)… or that you can somehow ‘leverage’ this to your advantage… whereas I personally think being upfront and factual from the start is the better approach.

Like I said, what if this mystery retailer eventually ‘did the right thing’ by you, then you don’t name/shame them and a fellow Elektronaut goes and buys the same Digitone Keys… that’s fine because you’re sorted out?
That was my point… good luck sorting it anyway. :+1:

1 Like

And I replied to that point saying I would share they did the right the thing.

If a company messes up and is able to fix it, that is where it really counts.

And it seems both of us have different ways to handle a situation, neither has to be wrong or right :slight_smile:

Have a good day

According to their website, Thomann has 18.6 m. customers around the world and processes est. 7 m. orders per year. There is bound to be the one order which fails from beginning to end.

I cannot imagine you getting a satisfactory answer to why they failed your order. So I don’t see much point in beating yourself up about the hole thing more than neccesary.

Thomann offers more than the German or EU law demands. You can send back your item, without naming a reason within 30 days.

4 Likes

Hopefully no one else has experienced something like this and it is just a crazy one off case.

Hi, You won’t like to hear my reply but I recommend not overreacting.
If I understand you right they have offered a full compensation. What do you want more? Acknowledgment of something because your ego is hurt?
How many lifetime and energy do you intend to spend on this case?
Shit just happens especially when humans are involved. So I would take the money and choose a different supplier.

P.S.:
I’ve never heard and experienced that any company in the world acknowledges something without need. Just out of many legal reasons.

And be aware that even this forum is no law free space. With all that details and claims you’ve provided here IMO they could easily accuse you because of damage of reputation and so on and require substantial compensation.

Good luck with your decisions!

6 Likes

I’m going to admit, I use to be somewhat of a perfectionist when it come to having a pristine piece of gear.
But over the years I’ve learned that not caring as much about the little things and doing what you can to minimize hassle helps you live a better stress-free life.
Your mind is more calm overall.
Its true we all constantly buy gear. And think about our gear too much.

With that being said and after viewing the photos,
besides the loose button that fell off (maybe thats an easy fix), and the tiny chip on key (maybe that can be an easy replace also),
I think if you give it a detailed clean like with a q-tip it should be looking like a 8.5 or 9 out of 10 condition.
Plus they said you can have an additional 20% discount or so and that seems fair.

I’d stop worrying about this whole fiasco and forget about the customer service emails and after a good cleaning just accept it and learn to love it.
Its not as bad as I imagined. I pictured like smoker grime and what not.
Yours seems to be more old dust.
Just take your time detail cleaning it and you should realize its not that bad considering you also have an additional % discount.

Thats my positive approach.
Save yourself all the stress & hassle and keep it…you will be more happier and calm once its nice looking.

6 Likes