Sticky buttons; like the actual texture is sticky

So I searched the forums and all topics regarding sticky buttons are talking about that they dont jump back instantly. I’ve got a different issue: My buttons are actually sticky. Tried cleaning them with a bit of alcohol, but the problem remains. Only the bottom row is affected.

Is there a magic solution?

1 Like
2 Likes

If its any thing like the rubber coating on say an ableton push or the first mpc live then the only thing that will get rid of the sticky is removing the rubber completely with acetone. Wear the right gloves.

Electronics manufacturers need to stop using this material, or find something with the same properties but doesn’t degrade like this. It’s really no good for the longevity of otherwise excellent devices.

I kind of wish PBT was used more in general, either dye sub or doubleshot for lettering. They’re excellent for computer keyboard keycaps.

12 Likes

And

1 Like

Thanks a bunch will try green soap first… feels nastyyy

I think they should fix that shit for us. I’m certain it’s unhealthy. If it liquifies to the touch that means our oils dissolve it and it MUST enter the skin at a microscopic level.

They should replace the parts that have that crap on them for us.

And I think we should all start hammering them with emails, saturate their inboxes, with requests/demands to, A) stop using that shit, and B) fix it for us. It’s absolute garbage.

:face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

my MPC sucks. [I love it tho]. And I have a PERFECTLY good mouse, that is untouchable. I shouldn’t have to replace a perfectly functioning mouse because they covered it in goo.

2 Likes

I just resolved this issue with Elektron. I sent them this message and just received replacement buttons for my Digitakt and Digitone for very little cost. I agree with others, they need to trash this material and replace it with something that doesnt degrade. The coating on my Arturia minibrute was even worse, if you can believe it. AIAIAI TMA-2’s - the list goes on, so many popular products use this awful coating.

" Hi, I’ve had my Digitakt and Digitone since Jan 31 2020 (just under 3 years). The rubber coating on the buttons has gotten very tacky/sticky. They had gotten this way on their own slowly over time, and the problem became worse when I tried using basic household cleaning products to wipe them down.

I have read posts on the Elektronauts forums about others having this problem. Some have said you can completely strip the rubber off using isopropyl alcohol, but I don’t want to do this especially for the colored buttons. What official solutions are there from Elektron? Since I am under 3 year warranty, am I able to get a set of replacement buttons for both Digitakt and Digitone?

I have proof of purchase of these from 2020. I didn’t register my products on the website until just now, but I did buy them less than 3 years ago."

(I then included my serial numbers)

They responded with a draft order for the discounted buttons ready to go. Hope that works for you too.

4 Likes

do these new replacement buttons fix the sticky surface issue or is it the same?

They are the same buttons. So it could happen again.

My understanding is these things all accelerate wear:

• High humidity
  • Not keeping your own hands clean, or clammy hands
  • Using any kind of cleaning products on the buttons

I’m just going to dust and wipe with a cloth, no product, from now on. Also have decksavers to keep moisture out. Once the warranty is over it’s going to be more like $50 to replace all the buttons.

1 Like

it should be $0…the fault is theirs for coating [whatever gets coated] with that stuff. its KNOWN that it melts over time.

its gotta go. the old plastic buttons on my MD and MM are the same as the day I got them. and they dont stick down either. the rubber shit on the sides seems like it likes to stick to the holes cut in the faceplate. my OT button 13 LOVES to stick down.

8 Likes

is this a wide spread issue? certain buttons of a certain bad batch or all of them are potentially bad? cause sticky buttons is what would keep me from buying it. im so close to deciding between a syntakt or digitone.

Would be nice if Elektron would provide a 3d file, so people can just 3d print those buttons…or some other crafty person (not me) could recreate them!

4 Likes

I forget what that crap is called…someone on the forum knows it. talked about a lot in the MPC thread. LOTS of companies use it.

you gotta get it and live with it…or else youre avoiding ALL kinds of gear. so if yer getting an Elektron box…get it, its worth it. but the buttons may, over time, get a little sticky to the touch, seems unavoidable these days.

Once they go really aside from replacing, the only other longterm solution is to remove it completely with alcohol, I would not use acetone as it can soften plastic.

So far I have not had any issues with my Elektron gear with this coating, but I have had the problem with other gear from monitor speakers, to computer peripherals to AIAIAI headphones to moog parts.

I am not a fan of the feel of this stuff or the look either, but when it goes gooey it makes the gear useless, I actively avoid buying products which use it now.

Not sure if it is relevant or related but since using alcohol hand gel I noticed door handles in my car getting sticky. Could be coincidence or could be related to the hand gel, however I will say with 100% certainty that I have had this coating go bad on other products years prior to using alcohol hand gel, so I’m not suggesting it is the only possible cause, but it might be a factor in some cases.

2 Likes

Thats interesting. I wish they’d just go back to that formula then. I imagine this problem is costing elektron money and goodwill from their fanbase, so hopefully they change soon. But right now i’m guessing it’s the whole last 5+ years of elektron products using these buttons (the round button Mk1 boxes had a different feel right? I think it’s all the MkII buttons onwards)

1 Like

its the oils from our skin too. it eats the stuff. touch your face then touch your mouse…its over. its unavoidable. and will obviously be worse from some than others. but any creams, residual “food” on your hands, oils…no win. you gotta be so dry that youre almost cracking, but then in that case all the dead skin will stick to the stuff giving your gear that “cool” ashy look. I seriously have a mouse in which the little wheel on top is liquid. awesome mouse too. cant use it. :frowning:

the buttons on the Elektron boxes are not the worst offenders. the coating seems quite thin, compared to some. they’ve done the best so far. I have a little box…its knobs also almost liquified. had to replace the knobs.

its seems that if you’ve touched this surface with a substance it doesnt like and let it sit for a while without touching it again…it degrades faster.

I just wish they’d stop using it.

2 Likes

may be if someone can make 1:1 button replacements that’s wont ever get sticky… POM/delrin plastic? id totally buy that.

can someone clarify, are the buttons PAINTED or are they molded in colored plastic?

Mine are not letting loose any of the fabric, its really just like the coat is sticky. Might be the first step in their wear

On my Digitakt only the arrows are slightly sticky, I hope it won’t be the same with the other buttons.

The fact that companies use this coating all the time looks a bit like “planned obsolescence” to me - if your device looks worn, ugly and old you are more likely to buy a new one.