Third month with octatrack

Thnx I appreciate your advice

Sure thing. So, in its default FREE mode, there’s no telling where in the cycle an LFO will be when you hit play. I tended to use SYNC TRIG for a more general purpose LFO that always begins predictably, though there are many different options, as shown here:

3 Likes

Just to clarify, because their name is confusing, SYNC TRIG is not synced to trigs, it restarts at the beginning of the track (usually the beginning of the pattern), with TRIG it restarts at each trig played, which seems the most common lfo behavior.

I oftenly use HOLD for random lfos. I’d like this on all synths.

4 Likes

Wait for a month. :content:

After one year :

2 Likes

I think one of the most important things is saving frequently: parts, patterns, recordings and project.

2 Likes

A thing that happened a few times during my first months with the new born was that I changes samples within slots and was wondering why the f my patterns sounded differently.
Learning from this: I rarely change samples in slots that I know I have used somewhere. Sounds obvious in retrospect but during the early times those things feel hard to get right. It takes some time to get a feel for how the machine behaves. Just like a baby that you show teddy and it laugh and smiles but don’t dare to bring the elephant! :point_right::exploding_head:

1 Like

this is the creepiest octatrack thread i’ve seen around here.

but yeah, sometimes I save my project three times in a row just to spoil myself.

1 Like

Is it possible to save and reload baby steps (patterns), like on the younger siblings?

…that patterns contain all the essential data to sound as u designed them anytime u turn a machine on or chosse that pattern again, no matter from where u came or where u go came with the digis…

before that generation, every machine has it’s own kind of data structure, where pattern and sounds where two different kind of things to be considered…

…in the a4 it’s this pattern versus kits thing…in ot it’s the pattern versus parts thing plus the two different sample slot lists…

1 Like

OK I´ve reproduce the problem, and yes, FREE mode is the devil. I have to check deeper this LFOs TRIGs because I don´t find defferences between some of them. I think is caused by the sample time and how long it takes.

Well… Thanks all

1 Like

From MD manual. Hope it helps.

3 Likes

The first rule of the fight club is: “save your work”, the second rule of the fight club is: “SAVE YOUR WORK!!”. THE THIRD RULE…

3 Likes