Thinking of ditching MD for AR

Why not keeping the MD - and for analog punch get a used jomox airbase sequenced by the MD ?

2 Likes

Reading about all the issues you seem to be having with your MCL, and fact you donā€™t like the sounds of the MDā€¦donā€™t keep it just cuz itā€™s rare or a status thing. Get something you enjoy making sounds with.
If itā€™s a constant struggle with the MDā€¦it will be a blocker when you start creating.

1 Like

This is usually the same thing I tell people right before I offer them a 6 pack and a pizza for their deviceā€¦

4 Likes

I was thinking, tho the pizza and beer is a nice offer, he could alleviate some musical stress by selling the MD+MCL, probably reclaiming 3k and getting something that offers some more fun, for him. And having a little money left over forā€¦.pizza and beer :slight_smile:

2 Likes

IllustriousGentleEidolonhelvum-max-1mb scanners-michael-ironside

5 Likes

Been eyeing MD for almost a year now and missed out on an mk2 at ā‚¬800 a few months back. Doesnā€™t look like I can get one under 1k except the mk1

Would be the mk1 still be ok? Afraid that 32 steps might be a bit too limitingā€¦

If you get a MCL as well (or maybe at some point) Iā€™d go for it, especially if you are okay without UW (do any MK1 units have UW?). MD has so many tracks you can make some really long patterns with trig conditions, track speed and microtiming. At least you can try out the base MKI and if you need to expand you can just get a MCL; I recommend it. (Though you have to accept that it is in constant development.)

I actually like some of the sounds it makes, particularly with the FM and PI machines, but making good kicks and snares is time-consuming and Iā€™m always coming back after being away for a while and wincing at how what Iā€™ve wrought sounds. I donā€™t really want to let it go. I just always feel like my brain is never going to be big enough for the thing, itā€™s always my master instead of the other way around. So at the least I need to get something simpler that has both synthesis and sampling but more advanced than Cycles.

Uhhhā€¦ no thanks. Oneā€™s enough.

I mean I might keep the MD and change nothing, at least for a good long while. Itā€™s kind of a clinical little box. VERY computery. Was attracted to ARā€™s emphasis on more direct performance. I dunno. I might embrace the snowbeast. It really has a mind of its own though you have to relinquish so much control and that makes it a bit of a fun toy good for generating surprising stuff but idk about it being my bread and butter drum machine after all.

Iā€™m confused, are you looking at Analog Rytm (AR) or Analog Four (A4)?

Sorry! Typo!

1 Like

I already have the DN which is quite similar to MCL (timbre wise)

No not Model:Cycles. MCL refers to Megacommand Live.

Oh crap, I have no clue. Seems a bit complicated for my use, but will look around

This video is great.

1 Like

Linking my post from a similar topic. Some thoughts I had as a Rytm MK2 owner that then bought an MD.

2 Likes

I think I remember reading someone describing MD and AR a while back as, ā€œMD taps, AR thumpsā€ and I think overall thatā€™s a fair assessment. Not saying MD canā€™t get thumpy, but it prefers to tap. AR will thump all day but canā€™t tap like MD can. Okay now Iā€™m tired of this example.

2 Likes

See? If more of what you find the most inspiring is not enough to replace any feelings of desire for something you clearly want, than you can just get the AR and be done with it.

Again, Iā€™m not trying to be rude here but this thread is about 100 posts too long given you answered your own question in the first post.

Geezā€¦ being a bit condescending arenā€™t we? If youā€™ve been reading all of my responses you wouldnā€™t be saying that. Iā€™m still not sure if Iā€™m going to bother with the AR right now. Inevitably Iā€™m going to try it out, but Iā€™m not 100% definitely going to abandon the MD. As the topic title says ā€¦ Iā€™m ā€œthinkingā€ about it.

Also, I think this thread has actually been really interesting???

4 Likes