Therapsid MKIII

You could use an ARM(2)SID instead and configure the env bug away.

1 Like

When you open up that “mint” “A+” C128 you picked up from an estate sale at an Amiga convention and discover someone already got to the SID chip before you :cry:

I totally know better than to trust a complete in box C128 from an estate sale, but these are desperate times

1 Like

Ouch. Better bring a screwdriver next time :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

Still though, pop an ARMSID in it!

1 Like
3 Likes

Made some further development in the TherapSID firmware: support for the Turbo MIDI protocol of the Elektron TM-1. This enabled me to raise the speed to 8x and thereby have bandwidth exceeding the regular ASID protocol. Also added support for full stereo SIDs, combined with DeepSID playback.

Short demo here:
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CuH_XLnsAkq/?igshid=MTIzZWMxMTBkOA==

5 Likes

More channels might be incoming… In-development support for a third SID (which exists in the ARM2SID), so here is a 3SID C64-tune (9 channels) being played back using Extended Turbo ASID.

Video

3 Likes

What is the best hardware sequencer to use with the therapsid of you want to be able to make stuff similar to C64 music? Is it maybe a tracker or can you make these sequences with an OXI One or Torso T-1?

To make the type of C64 music in my latest ASID videos, you would need an actual C64 or an emulator running some tracker like SidWizard. But you could also use Goattracker on Win/Mac. Otherwise you can of course use a regular MIDI sequencer and use the regular mode of the TS, but then you wouldn’t be able to do the wavetable stuff for instance.

1 Like

TherapSID available for preorder now! Just made a purchase :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

https://www.twistedelectrons.com/therapsid

1 Like

I forgot about how cool real 6581 chips can sound (outside of a chiptune context). I suddenly had an intense urge to order a Therapsid MKIII and find a pair of matching chips to make intense stereo patches and process stereo signals with that grungy sound… so I did.

I found a pair of matching 6581 4RAR chips and can’t wait for the Therapsid to arrive.

3 Likes

I’m really amazed by it so far. I have one 6581R4 and one 8580 and it’s really cool but I sometimes feel it would be better to run a matching pair but not sure… having one of each is also very cool :relaxed:

Mine has two 6581’s, are they matching you ask, I ain’t got a clue :joy:

I found someone selling two 6581 4RAR chips that were both made in 1987 within the same week. That’s close enough to “matching” for me.

Do you prefer one chip over the other?

They certainly are different but hard to say… the 6581 I feel is more rough… in a good way :grin:

Check out this YT-channel that post C64 songs with a mix of both chips.

And I have pointed a couple really bad things but still maybe interesting for you with my therapsid with the two chips in stereo.

https://youtube.com/shorts/LPNiqiFMVoY?si=J8F9S2CDwFpbj7jB

https://youtube.com/shorts/FZono3IAI8Y?si=XGzylWrhIFxOxYUc

3 Likes

really, I don’t think it works like that when your matching.

When your matching transistors you could grab 100 from the same batch then have to go through dozens to get two to roughly match.

with the age of SID chips as they degrade with age and their rarity id happily stick my neck out to claim its impossible to match two SID chips.

and then why would you want two matched anyway, as to my ears two that sound slightly different to each other would sound better in the stereo field.

PS and you’ll be lucky if you can ever obtain a 6581 that didn’t have a damaged filter, as the filter simply broke from people handling the chip.

Here’s two 6581’s doing the awesome Hubbard Knuckle Busters

3 Likes

That’s why I put quotations around “matching.”

I only need them to be similar and I usually purposely have slightly different settings (filter, etc.) on each channel to create a more noticeable effect. Minor differences between the chips is not an issue for me. It’s my understanding that the 4RAR revision of this chip has a pretty standard sound with less variations anyhow.

Without thorough testing, finding 2 chips made within the same week is good enough for me.

1 Like

I wholeheartedly prefer the 8580 to the 6581.

I grew up on the 6581 on my original 1982/83 “breadbin” but when I got my C64C in maybe 1986/1987 the 8580 blew that sound away. I modded my C64 to make the digi sounds play at the right volumes on the 8580, so it was the best of both worlds.

Some people like the slightly rawer sound of the 6581, but not me.

I watched demos as much as played games, and the tunes from demo musicians always sounded better on the 8580 to me.

It’s also why I don’t mind the sound of things like the ARMSID, because it’s pretty close to sounding like an 8580. Even my MiSTer after the SID improvements sounds amazingly good.

The only reason I say any of this, is just as a couterpoint to the majority of opinions that the 6581 is generally better. I say if you have a synth like the TherapSID, and you can get an 8580 or two, go for it!

My cousin and I also built Stereo Chorus pedals into our C64s. :smiley: And warm resets to get into the monitor easily.

I finally fried my C64C when modding it with a PAL switch and crystal. It worked for a short time, and then the VIC friend, and possibly other stuff. Luckily my parents got me an A500 that year for Christmas, so I didn’t care for a while. Eventually got myself a 128D though to sit next to my A500 and 386. :smiley:

2 Likes