Therapsid MKIII

Thank you for the reply, I’ll certainly try your firmware.

1 Like

Am trying to sell my mk1 but can’t match it to the correct adapter in my box of power supplies. Could someone kindly post a pic of their psu? I’m in the UK BTW. I did email twisted but had no reply. Thanks.

15V DC, 500mA, center positive

2 Likes

Looks like a new batch is available for order as promised, for shipping at the end of July.

Just released an update on the ASID progress - many more remix features done. And also news for SidStation owners: implemented ASID support for the browser-based DeepSID player.

4 Likes

Completely missed that a new, completely rewrittten OS was just released. Updating right now, excited to see what’s up.

My Therapsid MK2 has been dormant for a while because the two 6581s I installed are not all well, so it’s a bit erratic sound-wise. I have more chips, and I also bought two ARMSIDs some time ago as a fallback, so I just need to swap them. This update is a good excuse to get on it.

And it’s really nice that TE have open sourced the firmware for the MegaFM, TherapSID and AY3. Good form.

1 Like

My Therapsid arrived today, I upgraded to firmware 2.3 visited deepsid, tested it with Hubbards Sanxion, took me straight back to childhood, well sort of I’d of been 15 when Sanxion was released.
I just love that RAW Sid sound there’s simply nothing like it, thank you.

2 Likes

Great to hear - have fun :slight_smile:

1 Like

Slightly OT but does anyone know what chips are in Therapkid?

No old soundchip in that one. The sound is based on digitally generated 8-bit wavetables and a 16-bit DAC.

1 Like

Oh I wondered if it was based on Swinsid or Armsid, so it seems bespoke, interesting. I’d like to try one at some point. I have a dual 8580 C64, not looking to replace it but Therapkid seems interesting because presumably it doesn’t have the envelope bug and noise floor.

1 Like

I’ve wanted to grab one for the same reasons.

1 Like

You could use an ARM(2)SID instead and configure the env bug away.

1 Like

When you open up that “mint” “A+” C128 you picked up from an estate sale at an Amiga convention and discover someone already got to the SID chip before you :cry:

I totally know better than to trust a complete in box C128 from an estate sale, but these are desperate times

1 Like

Ouch. Better bring a screwdriver next time :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

Still though, pop an ARMSID in it!

1 Like
3 Likes

Made some further development in the TherapSID firmware: support for the Turbo MIDI protocol of the Elektron TM-1. This enabled me to raise the speed to 8x and thereby have bandwidth exceeding the regular ASID protocol. Also added support for full stereo SIDs, combined with DeepSID playback.

Short demo here:
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CuH_XLnsAkq/?igshid=MTIzZWMxMTBkOA==

5 Likes

More channels might be incoming… In-development support for a third SID (which exists in the ARM2SID), so here is a 3SID C64-tune (9 channels) being played back using Extended Turbo ASID.

Video

3 Likes

What is the best hardware sequencer to use with the therapsid of you want to be able to make stuff similar to C64 music? Is it maybe a tracker or can you make these sequences with an OXI One or Torso T-1?