Theoryboard kickstarter

There’s no prototype, you’ll get the real deal either way. As far as I’m aware, din and usb will be included.

3 Likes

thx for the info

Also, I didn’t mean to be snarky when I said to check the updates. You’ll just get a really good sense of what will be included etc. Lots of things are planned, but ya know, it’s Kickstarter, so you never know.

3 Likes

Have they added anything particular recently?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1962606435/theoryboard-music-theory-made-easy/updates

click on the above link and read the latest update…it explains how the user interface will look / work.

Yes Finns there has been a lot added and improved. As i put in my post above the display is now OLED (big improvement), the control panels is capacitive and LED backlit (big improvement), and the buttons are vastly improved.

Plus earlier they expanded the left hand (chord) keyboard and added playing modes where the keyboards on either side have other music theory functions. In fact quite a bit functionally has been added from the initial design.

There is so much improved from the initial design that:

• It’s a little challenging to keep track of.
  • The original kickstater video doesn’t do the thing justice.
  • It really justifies the original target retail price, or something very close to it.

It looks like the sequencer feature is not in the first release – though i could be totally wrong on this. With the larger keyboard it could function as a four row matrix sequencer, as i mentioned in an earlier post.

I’m also of the opinion that delivery by the end of July may be a little bit too optimistic, we’ll see. There is good enough reason with all the improvements for this to take a little longer.

Not at all…

Nice summary of what’s changed from the initial prototype. I’m also a bit skeptical on if they’ll hit the July shipping goal. Either way, it looks like they’re really putting all of their ducks in a row on this one.

1 Like

“Ducks in a row” is right on zfigz, they definitely have a long term product intent with this.

So much has changed in functionality i wonder if Irijule has modified their patent application, as is surely justified?

I just received an email from Scott at Theoryboard HQ who informed me he’s removed the Midi in din port as he didn’t see any use for it. He also said he’s about to send off the logic board for production but if I could make a good case for it, he’d put the midi in din port back in. As I don’t use a computer in my setup and they plan to implement am arpeggiator and sequencer, i’ll need the din in to sync it with the rest of my gear, unless I use a USB Midi host.
Let’s see what he comes back with.
Super-impressed with his speedy reply and willingness to listen to his customers though.

2 Likes

i could do without the din port, but it would be nice to have the option if i ever got rid of my carbon seq.

1 Like

I left a comment at the Theoryboard Kickstarter site, with my preference for both USB and DIN.

1 Like

I let Scott know that my setup was computerless and hardware only so I needed midi din in to clock the arp/sequencer. I also said although in the minority having no computer involved, it maybe a fairly sizeable minority, especially amongst those considering pulling the trigger on a bit of hardware like the theoryboard. He said that’s a very good point and he’ll get back to me so hopefully he’ll reconsider and stick it back in.

1 Like

Thanks Chinchilla.

The percentage of users affected i wouldn’t know, but including both is still done frequently for new design of equipment, along with the disappointment at the lack of DIN midi a frequently posted comment, here and elsewhere.

That said i guess if it was one or the other only, which it is not, i’d prefer it was USB included.

1 Like

I misunderstood :eyeglasses: what you wrote Chinchilla, it’s the DIN Midi IN port that won’t be included. Two little letters make a BIG difference. DUH! Good to hear from Irijule that the DIN Midi OUT port is still included.

I can totally live with this. I could perhaps imagine uses for the DIN Midi IN, but the DIN Midi OUT is something for sure i want.

Looking forward to hearing more progress from Irijule when they get the new circuit boards.

1 Like

Ah, whoops! I totally thought y’all all meant Midi output…good to know!

1 Like

my guts say that this one seems much more useful than the theoryboard.

Latest Update

Sounds really positive except for the slip in schedule – will it be the last? The hand gesture sensing for chord strums is completey unexpected – not sure it will be in the initial software release but we’ll see. Scratch out one more advantage of the Isla Kordbot.

It looks like the build quality of the Theoryboard will be good, based on the work done and the standards Irijule is setting.

I’ve definitely been thinking of how the T-board will fit with my music production and performance. I’m convinced that there will be a lot of creative uses beyond the first intents for this controller.

2 Likes

September Update

Lots of nitty-gritty down in the weeds detail here.

Evan and Scott are sweating out the final details now on the Theoryboard. They went through many many iteration on the case design for this – which (a) is due to this being their first time with a mechanical design, and (b) it’s very hard to anticipate issues unless you’ve got the physical model in your hand or an awful lot of experience, and © now days it’s an awful lot easier and cheaper to make these iterations, so you do it and get a much better design. The case had to be a real challenge given the enlargements they made to the playing surface. Looks like they have that in hand now.

A lot more goes into the complete design of a mechanical/electronic/software system of this level of complication than you might be aware – unless you’ve done it a few times yourself. (I have.)

I don’t expect them to be on schedule but they will complete it in 2018, or so my intuition tells me. Do they beat Overbridge 2.0 to market? It’s a horse race. :rofl:

Looking forward to this.

Wish things were moving a little faster with this. I am glad they include the in performance key change method. Here’s a video that shows some music theory on how some key changes in music can sound so good.

Skip the first 45 seconds.

Now sure i can play these with a guitar too, or on keyboard pretty well – but the Theoryboard is just made for this experimentation.

So i am patient.

2 Likes

i’m currently enrolled in a coding boot camp, so no time for music, but it does irk me with how little they’ve updated though i’m sure they’re working their tails off.