Theoryboard kickstarter

This was one I backed immediately but eventually withdrew. It looks like it could be fun but I’d rather wait for a v2 that had MPE/Lininstrument type functionality - the buttons/pads looked too horrible to live with for me.

1 Like

they’re replacing the big chunky buttons with more flat and wider buttons. check out the comments section and the creator explains the things they’re changing.

1 Like

Anyone still wanting in on this i see that Irijule has opened up pre-orders on their kickstarter site, for delivery in May 2018. The price is $399 (plus shipping i assume; i also assume it’s a pay now), which was the lowest available pledge amount before pledge funding closed.

This is probably some indication on a real price if this ever becomes an on-going product.

Work hard Irijule team; i’m looking forward to the finished Theoryboard in six months or so!

1 Like

only being able to play either the chords or the melody - but not both at the same time - was always the reason why i never went into controllers for that purpose! for me the TheoryBoard is a step into the right direction, for sure! since i cant really play the piano (apart from simple Cmin Melodies :smiley: ) im totally fine with the Layout as well. seems logical for the purpose. the only thing i still want to know is: how does it handle scale transitions? can it actually do that? for some more complex music, this would be a must! i will ask this guy that very question very soon i guess :wink:

anyway, even if it doesnt support that it will be a life safer to find new ideas for a track - fast! no complicated setup, no diving through menus to set the controller in the correct mode or something - just boot it up and let go! for me this matters most: i wanna get stuff done, fast! will definitely place a pre-order once i have money again :slight_smile:

So i ordered one at 400. I never liked the normal keyboard.I can read sheet music and know the notes and understand alot of the theory ect… But i find hitting chords on a normal key boards to be clumsy and always thought if i could just hit one button for a chord in a grid would be better.like a key board or something.

I think using color to separate the root note is great.I am a visual artist and i do think of chords like colors of a color wheel. so it seems very very fitting that you separate things by colors . look at the normal key board, it uses color to separate #'s and flats. The theory board takes it to the next step it seems.

When i working on music i dont want to think i want to just feel the vibe and hear it. I know the color and this type of lay out will really help. ( if not ill just sell it ha ha)

also yea they have new pads for the V2 that are not so tall and like mpc pads but clear. they were working with touch sensitivity on those to.

I hope to use it as my “key” board. I would live if they did a smaller one too if it turns out good.

2 Likes

Yeah a more portable Theoryboard would be good too – though i like the large format, it will fit very well. I definitely see the Theoryboard for me as both a performance instrument (where portability would be nice) and as a composition tool where a larger more comfortable format is nice. I think you might have identified a follow on product for Irijule, Peoplemuver.

Something occurred to me recently – a different mode, as it were, that i think would be useful for me. I’'d like to be able to switch modes where the left side keyboard is melody (instead of chord) just like the right hand keyboard. Then when both sides are in the same key, you could more easily play counterpoint, with a little practice to get some of the counterpoint rules down.

And then if you could assign different keys to the separate melody sides, then instead of counterpoint, you could play in bitonality. Bitonality in music theory is music made of two melodies in different keys. By choosing different keys you get different effects. Some key combinations will sound dissonant and harsh others very sweet and consonant yet outside standard tonality. Examples of great composers among many that used bitonality are Stravinsky, Bartok, and Milhaud – but it also has been used in prog-rock from the 70’s and 80’s, and modern jazz.

Improvisation in two different keys (bitonality) on a standard keyboard can be a real challenge – not that it would become easy in this proposed implementation on the Theoryboard – only more playable.

1 Like

February 3rd update if you aren’t on their mailing list.

I find this all very encouraging – it sounds like things are going well and they’re on schedule. Good that they are bringing in some experts for the manufacturing – that’s smart. It’s actually cheaper to spend more up front than to have to go back and fix things and face delays. Also good that they are paying such close attention to the touch and feel of the buttons. Looking forward to the new videos with the new features when they are available.

Definitely looking forward to this.

New stuff not yet announced is on the way.

1 Like

i’d be super excited if they just improved upon what they’ve already promised/demoed.

really excited for this…my keystep will soon be for sale :slight_smile:

Absolutely – What they targeted already is exactly on target for me.

1 Like

Is there a Mac app that does something like this? Or at least shows scales and chords on a keyboard graphic and lights up the notes on screen as you play them on your MIDI keyboard?

edit: just found one
http://www.mucoder.net/en/tonespace/

1 Like

New update (March 7th) from TheoryBoard – and a very good one.

Quite a redesign. Lots more buttons – with lots more features, and expanded music theory functionality, all without losing the core that got such a strong backing on Kickstarter in the first place.

So new is ‘modal interchange’. That’s jazz – as well as really opening up new compositional options. They also now have melodic bitonality – as i suggest here earlier.

Will be looking forward to the pictures and video coming up, showing some of the improvements on the user interface, and to see the new elastomeric buttons.

Also, hiring an outside firm to do a final review on the PCB is a real pro move. That’s smart to spend money up-front to get it right the first time, rather than having late design changes or worse a failed design that you ship.

Looks like there’s a fair amount of hardware engineering left – and they seem intent on longer-term support on software development.

ADDED: Oh and i forgot to mention the elephant that just walked into the room – the extra functionality of using the matrix of touch and pressure sensitive buttons for a matrix sequencer! (I’m holding off on buying a Polyend Seq, until i see how this works out.) Just as long as they stick to the original core functionality for the first release.

1 Like

April 10th Update:

Irijule is checking the PCB design prior to ordering the final board assemblies.

There’s a possibility of a slip in schedule, of a month or so, if a problem develops with the delivery of the enclosure.

1 Like

June 7th Update:

Massive update – plenty of news and large improvements. I am really impressed.

The capacitive control buttons are a huge improvement and a big surprise. Plus changing the display to OLED from LCD is also a big surprise. Even the elastomer keys look like they will way exceed the initial target.

The development team has gone way beyond my expectations, and have obviously been working very hard. Those who bought into this early are going to be getting a lot for their money. Quite some still left to see, including detail in the software implementation, but this all looks very hopeful.

Really glad i backed this. Shouldn’t be too long, maybe backers will have a Theoryboard in their hands by the end of July.

1 Like

I could not find if it has DIN or just USB MIDI… anyone knows?

Din is planned

Thx for getting in.
So when I order one now, I will only get the USB out?

DIN and USB are both planned

1 Like

what does “planned” mean though?
I understood it as they are already producing them to ship in july.

(but shipping is 70$, that’s pure ripoff. paying 400$ for that thing is ok for me, but shipping from the US does not cost more than 35$ actually.)

It means what it means. Go read some updates on it instead, eh?

no offense man, I just don’t get it.

like will there be a DIN port when I order one?
I never did a kickstarter thing yet so i’m a little green on this.
I understand it as “you pay less now than the final version will cost but get a prototype”, but the final design is ready so I just wonder wether there will be a DIN port or not.

maybe you can clarify?

thx in advance.