The Woovebox - a tiny and cheap but ridiculously powerful groovebox

Thanks, that does help. One more question that probably no one else cares about but is the debounce done with components or in the software?

Also, just for the sake of the thread, would you post the youtube video here? I saw the youtube watermark on the website video but it seemed to be a direct upload and I could probably search it but people are lazy these days :smiley:

1 Like

I love talking shop! :smiley:
It’s using the Bourns-suggested circuitry from the datasheet, and further software filtering on top of that. I’m mostly happy enough with the performance now, but logging reveals minor glitches still happen now and then. There seems to be some discussion on how useful/appropriate the Bourns circuitry is though, with other suggesting different values for the caps or saying it should just be completely done in software, etc.

YT video here;

20 Likes

Well it’s been quite nice speaking with you and you’ve been very helpful, hopefully you’ll find time to come round and chat a bit or answer questions when people ping you. FWIW I find bourns to be rather reliable for potentiometers but I haven’t worked with their line of encoders, from the DS it looks pretty standard for a micro-encoder though.

With the potential that someone will one day sooner or later probably try and modify one of your devices, having debounce in the software is probably a smart move but I wouldn’t ignore whatever the suggested circuitry is unless it’s something you’ve done a good bench run on yourself for long enough to be confident about your data.

I’m guessing you have some kind of 3D print case for this in mind that you just haven’t had time to fully compile and I’ll look forward to seeing where the project goes. I’m going to consider how much use I’d get out of this before I make any decisions about purchase but my initial instinct says FUN FUN. Have to restrain myself a bit in times like that :sweat_smile:

Thanks again, cheers.

5 Likes

This is looking dope! I love these tiny things coming out of 1 man shops made with a lot of love
M8 Tracker, Nunomo groovebox, now this. :love_you_gesture:

6 Likes

mixed feelings.
specs are nice, but:
seems too small to be convenient in a live situation.
those horrible knobs (who made people think they are cool?!)
and overall «3d print some ugly case to make it still uncomfortable, but somewhat better protected» design approach is at least meh.

3 Likes

Good job @Woovebox, sounds better than the Roland Cloud 303 :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

@Woovebox i would recommend to use a professional speaker or speak yourself in the youtube videos on your channel, because AI voice always feels a bit “cheap”, unprofessional, etc.

7 Likes

I think this looks very cool, great value at 250 bucks and a ton of features. The PO TE should have made!
I like the display (I won’t need my reading glasses!) and the workflow (and indeed developers style) seems a bit like an ‘xox’ dirtwave M8.

4 Likes

Agreed. :slight_smile:
I suck at videos, but I’m a one-man-band with some sort of strange half Aussie half Dutch accent.

7 Likes

That trig modifiers are extensive to say the least!

2 Likes

I love what this can do. tonnes of functions & scope. wish it had a proper screen (elektron or m8 size), was a bit bigger for ergonomics, & had some proper buttons.

so much thought put in to the internals it’s a pity about the hardware imo.

still, a cool machine.

4 Likes

dont worry about that. the music world is international and authenticity sells best =)

1 Like

A couple more thoughts.

It’s a pity that there’s no USB MIDI host, adding a Launch Control XL would be great for playing live, but I guess it couldn’t be done as there’s probably no data connected to the USB port.

I think the ‘when’ conditions can be expanded with stuff like 7of8 (trigger the ‘do’ for the first 7 playthroughs, skip it on the 8th).

It’s great to see so many possibilities being offered in such a small package.
I was about to buy one, but after having listened to the demos, it sounded too lo-fi for my taste. I’ll wait for the bigger brother :slight_smile:

I’m sure no-one would mind your accent at all. But if you’re not comfortable narrating, you could consider some tastefully done text on screen (à la Knobs etc). Have to agree that text-to-speech isn’t great

2 Likes

@Woovebox Amazing anouncement! Is this unit on FPGA-technology?

Just a “regular old” microcontroller. :slight_smile:
All synthesis happens in software in an engine that runs at a fixed 44.1kHz clock.

4 Likes

Hopefully you have enough stocked :slight_smile:
I’ll pull the trigger when my salary kicks in.

I guess I should factor in import taxes as well.

1 Like

would you mind to share, what type of cpu you used for that awesome project?

1 Like

It’s an ESP32 that’s been optimized to within an inch of its life… They’re great, dual core, feature rich MCUs that pack a lot of functionality on a small surface area, while being quite frugal. You can get them with up to 8MB (slow) PSRAM and 16MB flash, and they can be had as FCC pre-certified modules which helps as well.

They don’t have the raw processing power of, say, a Teensy 4.1, but with some special attention to their strong and weak points (and are not afraid of assembly) you can get some very decent performance out of them.

10 Likes