The Virus TI2 desktop made me sell all my synths

I picked up a Snow a few week ago. While the sound is great, I find the programming from the unit itself a bit tedious (I don’t use a computer much). I’ve actually been using it as a multi fx unit for a mono synth. The EQ, FX, delay, reverb etc. is pretty good and very convenient in 1 box.

Yeah, that’s why I choose the ti over the Snow.

1 Like

The TI is my workhorse.

16 part multitimbral, 16 part!

You can get super creative with sound design. I do not, repeat do not use the CPU to program this synth. It is very easy to navigate around without staring at a CPU screen. Yeah the mod matrix is not the most pleasant but I’ve programmed on much worse, cough Matrix 6. As mentioned the built in effects for a synth are top class, three LFO’s, stellar filter section, etc.

You can get pretty precise with taking a sound out of your head and throwing it down on the canvas with the TI.

Not to mention the build is legit. Feels like a fucking tank, knob resistance is perfect, buttons have a solid crisp punch/rebound and the lights/screen give it a nice touch.

I would never sell, maybe upgrade to a TI2.

10 Likes

Yeah I love my ti2 polar, sounds amazing and easily the best build quality of any synth I’ve owned.

1 Like

Still making extremely slow progress on an editor. Not fast enough for it to be useful though tbh. More of a little sideline in learning Swift on Mac. Day-job and other responsibilities are taking too much time.

Wish there were some better resources for coding native editors. I’ve looked at several systems, but can’t help but feel that they all have their flaws.

Does anyone have their own favourite environment for doing this kind of thing?

1 Like

My first synth ever was a Virus C, had wanted one since I was a kid and still have the thing. had a TI2 desktop for awhile but sold it for other synths.
Although there are better synths out there now imo, I know everything about the virus and wouldn’t let it go because its become such a integral part of my musical vocabulary

edit* Also love how it pays homage to synths of the past with its user interface mostly being based off the Memory Moog :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Not sure about being loose over time. I don’t think that should happen, but one of my Ti Polar keys became loose and no sound triggered when I pressed on the note. I opened it up and ended up replacing the contact strip. Never had a problem since.
Used one of these :
KCS10_a600

2 Likes

Bought a 2nd-hand TI2 today. What a sound…I midi-control it wireless with my iPad via bluetooth, works perfect and can not notice any latency. Also bought the ‘Touch for VIRUS’ IOS app made by Maarten Lierop, very happy with it.

3 Likes

I noticed tonight that once the volume is past about 75% a slight crackling appears in the left channel. What would cause this.

I guess I’ll ask all the standards…

Headphones and main outs?

If you swap the left and right on the main outs does the issue follow the virus or the mixer/interface?

Is the issue on all patches, or maybe just ones where amplitude is different in the stereo field?

Did you try different cables?

Yup received a new Ti2 a few days ago. Not my first Virus synth. There is definitely something special about these synths .
Congrats and enjoy !

2 Likes

Where dis u get it from?

That was about 7 years ago just google Virus keybed contact strip.

1 Like

Hey, heads up that the Mystery Island editor is 30% off until 6/30. It was $35, pretty stoked!

2 Likes

Oh crap, if somebody wants an additional $5 off PM me with an email address and I can forward a “welcome credit for your friends” email they just sent me.

edit: already gone… and may not work with the sale anyway, without buying a couple librarians from them. It was a $35 minimum to use.

If asked before, i’m sorry…

What (hardware/software) midi device you all are using to control the Virus TI2?

Several, e.g. Digitakt directly to TI in single or multimode works nice, otherwise Ableton with ESI 4x midi interface. Even use it on older Mac via USB.

I also have the Mystery Islands editor but rarely use it as I enjoy programming the TI via the panel.

I control (edit) my Virus TI with an Electra One, easy peazy :blush:

2 Likes

Reaper on Windows or Roland MV8000.

1 Like

I send Midi either from Octatrack or from MPC One. I use my Electra One, if I need to manipulate Sounds during Performance. Programming is done all on the machine itself.

4 Likes