The Untold Truth About Octatrack Tempo

Long time away from math. Forgive my asking. How can 0.01 be a 1/4?

Noobiii question. What is A440 please?

Thanks.

It took me a while to get the logic behind, but let’s say 103.125bpm is an A tuning. It’s not A440, but A440 shifted 8 octaves down (A1.71875).

(8 octaves = 2^8 = 256)

That’s binary 0.01.

With decimal fractions each position after the dot represents 1/(10^n): 1/10, 1/100, 1/1000, …
With binary fractions each positions after the dot represents 1/(2^n): 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, …

4 Likes

+1 i think is the good old devil in the detail. I love detail. And Artist interested in the detail as well as the broader scope. Very catchy subject heading.

Ha. Yep, he is. I’m hooked. Excuse the multiple post. I’m still chipping away on my new OT. Then this comes allot and blows my mind. Start will the most complex first right? I used used to, at least it gets easier. Any well turned advise for a visual person to get down to the Nitty Gritty? I’d love a like. I have acute dyslexia so please be kind to a mentally changed painter. Thanks. Great forum.

2 Likes

A tuning with A440Hz as reference if you prefer.

A 1.71875Hz is way too low to be used as a musical note.

1 Like

“That’s discrimination”, says the way-too-low note, “so I can only work as a tempo?”

:grin:

2 Likes

“You’re lucky, I’m used as a fork I can’t be used as a tempo :
26 400 bpm !” Said the poor A440 Hz.

1 Like

Could you elaborate?
You don’t care about the tempo you are really using?

1 Like

au contraire, this is the kind of thread that keeps me coming back.

5 Likes

Example at 103.125 bpm, if you use retrig or looped short length you are tuned to A440 hz.
Realtime recording of radio, (I didn’t choose!). At the end I change the tempo, hence change the tuning.

1 Like

not e.g. if you happen to neatly loop three cycles of an existing tone within that sampled length length though - it’s not a useful way to define concert pitch, the periodicity might lean it that way more than not though

What about the 432hz cosmic frequency :joy:

1 Like

432 hz corresponds to 101.25 bpm. Closest in OT is 101.208333 bpm.

Load a 101.25 bpm cosmic loop in a Pickup and sync tempo to it. :pl:

1 Like

2 Likes

That’d make 660hz, very close to a E.

1 Like

1 Like

Poor battery. Good

Chris alive. This just gets me thinking. Magic regs.

this is very cool, but what are the practical implications? Am I putting my samples out of tune (on a “micro-scale”)? If i start a project at 90bpm, but sample a record that is actually at 89.7 and play it back at 90, it will sound sharp?

Just trying to grasp it beyond the fun beard-stroking aspect.

1 Like