The Tula usb Mic.... anyone try one yet, how is the quality?

looking forward to hearing how it works out for you

OK, Iā€™ve had my Tula for the better part of a week and Iā€™ve been using it a lot to record some scratch/demo content for singer songwriter songs Iā€™m working on guitar, some M8 tracks to pull into my PC, as well as a lot of time using it as a mic for zoom calls at work.

A few thoughts:

1. As I expected, the build quality and design is really nice. Very premium feeling. Also very small. It fist perfectly in the case with my M8!
  2. The onboard noise cancellation is minimal, and thatā€™s a good thing. It can cut out some hum from an air handler or nearby fan, but doesnā€™t seem to negatively impact sound quality. It also records two files, so worst case you can post-process the non-NC file and wet/dry mix them after the fact to get a compromise on room vs. NC sound. The table stand is really good!
  3. As an audio scratchpad, the sound quality is a lot better than recording directly to my iPhone 12 mini, which was where I previously most of my audio jots for songs Iā€™m working on.
  4. As a zoom/discord/audio call mic, the quality is pretty great but Iā€™d recommend keeping it on a mic arm or stand to get it closer to your face. It comes with a stand mount, and the quick-release mechanism on the bottom of the Tula is really quick to swap between the kick stand and a mic stand. I saw some promo materials about Tula before I got it saying that it was ā€œoptimized for good quality being on a table in front of you on its built-in standā€, but the proximity effect of having it ~4-6 inches from your face vs. 16-24 inches was very noticeable for me when doing some tests. Having it just set on a table sounded really great for playing guitar and singing, though, especially using the omnidirectional mode.
  5. Not needing a preamp or phantom power for a mic of this style is really, really liberating.

Iā€™ll try to post a few recordings in here (especially some A/B demos against my iPhone) when I have some more time to sit down and record with both devices at the same time.

4 Likes

I also have it, it looks and feels nice, but not impressed by the sound and donā€™t find it handy that you canā€™t clearly see the input level (only 1 led that turns red when too high).

thinking that Zoom H2n might have been the bettter choiceā€¦

I have one. Itā€™s great for when you want sound into eg octatrack without fuss. Quality is fine. My other option is vastly expensive condenser and preamp but I can rarely be arsed to set them up, desk stand space, cables etc

Each mic will sound different to different peopleā€¦ I have some that are very expensive, and sound like crap with my voice, but work great for others!! You have too finds one that works for youā€¦
Tula finally finished the new update so you can put it in 44.1 mode to work with mpcā€™sā€¦ now you can use it directly over USB with mpc as a audio interface.

2 Likes

Not impressed with the sound quality. I bought one for the love of my life to help her with zoom meetings while the AC was running in the summer (we have quieter ones now) and it did help for that.

She doesnā€™t use it anymore.

Iā€™ve used it a few times, recording directly into morphagene. High quality recording wasnā€™t needed so I had no problem using it.

To me it sounds about the same quality as an iPhone mic.

It does look nice.

It is noticably more detailed then my tascam recorders, it isnā€™t really a velvety kind of sound like the soyez mics, but it is smooth. It works well with more bassy and mid-range material, it cleans it up and can sound amazing with the right voice, I use it mostly for me and it sounds about as good as anything I have tried. My wife not so muchā€¦ her voice is so rich she will sound good with even my rode nt-1a, but just didnā€™t click with this one.
It is a very good sounding mic though, maybe something is wrong with yours? It should atleast sound good enough to impress most people for a mic under $500.

1 Like

Mine matches the video demos comparing it to other micsā€¦ So nothing wrong with it.

1 Like

Iā€™m looking for a USB mic while Iā€™m visiting family in the US and this thread popped up. I was considering Beyerā€™s current USB offering, but after reading through the thread again, it sounds like people thought very highly of the Tula. Iā€™m curious if folks are still using theirs and if support has been solid. I donā€™t mind spending extra money for exceptional results.

Iā€™m away from my studio a lot and I love the idea of fast capture with my iPad or laptop when thereā€™s no audio interface available.

1 Like