The Sub37 firmware update

Since there’s a bunch of us here who own a Sub37 -

• the firmware update is released.

And it is grand.

The sequencer alone makes this ridiculously powerful now.

Over here:
http://www.moogmusic.com/products/phattys/sub-37#downloads-tab

Yea it’s unbelievably good. The on fly modulation abilities give it a whole other dimension.

I’ve had the Sub since Sept but I’ve learned so much more about it in the past month, now I can’t pull myself away from it.

The first week I got it I really didn’t like the sound. It comes with in my opinion not very good presets, not that I ever use presets but sometimes as a starting point, still I was finding it hard to coax out the warm sounds I got from the slim phatty. The more you delve in though, the more it rewards. The crunchy sounds it can create are what I love the most.

As Amos says in this video “it’s the power of modularity in a self contained synth”. Not that I’ve ever used modular or know anything about it but the Sub 37 makes me feel less rush to go down that route.

I didn’t find a list of changes in the new update…
I wish there was Osc FM for the Sub 37… that one Osc could modulate another.
Other than that, it is rather appealing

I’m thinking the Sub37 is a classic in the making. That’s what I’m thinking, while the rain pours and I’m having coffee. Yep.

The S37 is already a classic! It rips a new one for every other synth on the market today!

There is a technical reason that the Sub 37 can’t do that osc FM that you’re talking about.

I’m just going from memory, but basically, because the Sub 37’s osc can be modulated from many different sources it’s fed by a digital control, so they couldn’t have the osc do analogue modulation.

Osc 1 and Osc 2 pitches can both be set as modulation sources though… so it’s not “real” FM but at least there is some sort of work around.

Just a trade off from the design… but considering the Sub 37’s extensive modulation options. It’s a trade i’m happy with.

Voyager can (obviously) do true FM and i’m pretty sure the Little/Slim Phattys can also do this… but I don’t actualhave either a L/SPhatty or a Voyager so don’t quote me on that :wink:

So you didn’t sell it - good … keep that instrument… I would if I had one :wink:

Not sure what you mean by that… can you explain?

Want one so badly. Have a slim patty to cover me for Moog tones - ended up getting an A4 recently because of polyphony, portablity and as an ideas machine, and I’m loving it, but it’s just not as sexy. Oh well, better start saving … again.

Don’t be losers and get the Analog Keys and Sub Phatty
Both are essential to each other:)
I love the XOX sequencing in the Sub 37 and also its filter
You can get extremely acidy sounds out of it too

Not sure what you mean by that… can you explain?[/quote]
Make the “Mod Source” for the MOD of your choice, Osc 2 Pitch.
Now the pitch of that osc can modulate other parameters.
EG: the rate of an LFO that is controlling the pitch of Osc 1.

Not infront of my S37 right now and i’m hardly a synth guru, but I hope this helps…

So you didn’t sell it - good … keep that instrument… I would if I had one :wink: [/quote]
Yes. I had a temporary lapse of reason. It is gone now.
For the moment.

So you didn’t sell it - good … keep that instrument… I would if I had one :wink: [/quote]
Yes. I had a temporary lapse of reason. It is gone now.
For the moment.[/quote]
Allmost everything is temporary in this universe :alien: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: