The streaming era of music production

i think it’s not just about streaming platforms, but about listeners habits as well.

1 Like

Around me, most of Spotify users are just listening to it as a radio. Their habits is entirely shaped by the platform, and the “likes” these users give.

But I get your point.

2 Likes

but the decline of album-centric paradigm started much earlier, in mid/late 90s.
it happened gradually.

1 Like

Probably not a general rule, but while techniques/gear/software have had a tremendous impact on the process, they have little to no impact on the final result for me.

And I don’t know what people are talking about claiming music is no good these days: I am loving a lot of stuff that’s coming out.

Absolutely. But it needs more curation. And no, algos don’t cut it.

1 Like

A similar thing can be observed with Netflix. It’s highly ironic to see a generation mocking their parents for watching TV is basically a slave to the “content” offered by Netflix, or the likes. People unwillingly watch mediocre content in Netflix just because that is all they have. I don’t see how that is different from being subjected to content offered to you 24/7 via TV.

3 Likes
Off-topic stuff about Netflix vs TV

The difference is vast. I had to spend 4 months back at my folks house recently, with them in control of the remote. There’s nothing on most of the time, so my mother rewatches things she’s already seen recently most of the time, and the real shitter here is that she pays Sky for more channels (on top of the TV license) and still gets subjected to adverts every 20 minutes or so. Netflix is way more choice based in terms of content and time of wanting to watch it, has higher quality shows than most TV stations can afford to produce nowadays, and it doesn’t subject its subscribers to adverts - plus subscriptions can be cancelled whenever. Netflix is far superior in almost every way and entire series can be watched on demand. I don’t understand how you can’t see that it’s better than scheduled TV.

2 Likes

Literally what I did some years ago now. Used to listen to gabber all day long and I ended up discovering music I never knew existed!

I love it, I’m always discovering.

What do you mean, used to?

1 Like

Yeah good point, I still do.

2 Likes

That’s a good point. Just because someone releases an album doesn’t mean it’s filled with good songs or a cohesive structure. I bought so many albums back in the day with 1-3 good songs and 8-10 filler tracks. Maybe modern artists who release singles or short EP’s are just sparing us from the bland filler tracks.

1 Like

When you consume the four quality shows out of their entire catalogue, the remaining sh*t show becomes TV in my eyes :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think it is also important to remember that these music streaming services are just not for small independent artists. I mean anything where you have to pay a distributor to be on the platform is a bit questionable as far as profitability goes for a small independent when you could just be on bandcamp. If you ever become bigger the streaming stuff starts to be ok but at that point I wonder if the extra money from streams is significant to bigger artists.

There are interesting opportunities on the live streaming side of music like twitch now which is cool. Also not sure if it is good but I kind think the idea behind that oda speaker was really neat https://oda.co/ really like the idea of making music knowing it will be played on a specific device.

I get a lot more out of music when I have a little backstory.

1 Like

I use it like radio, but then I have used radio like a recommendations service for 30years. I find shows/DJs/playlists/algorithms I like, note down the tracks/artists I like the sound of, and then go digging for more of their work (or buy the single/album).

2 Likes

I agree with this. Whilst I have trained Spotify to feed me generally stuff I like, it’s lacking the context. It completely ignores the label-as-community aspect, the “this person inspired this other person even tho’ they ended up at very different points”. The algorithm is all tone and no culture.

6 Likes

No.

…no just from hearsay unreflected repetition ubersubjective halfknowledge felt truth instead of knowing facts hatespeech streamingfarm xyz bashings…here…please…

that’s all point- use- and sense-less…
almost 90% of the people, the average listener, are satisfying their daily sonic habits by STREAMING…

welcome to the age of information…welcome to the 21st century…

fact remains…
music is not made for other musicians in first place…
it’s made for the people…

and never ever there were that many musicians, that were able to get their stuff out there…
but hell yeah…chin up, pants down…we’re competing and drowning in a pool of round about 40thousand new releases per DAY…!!!

but the days of the user centrified paymodel, where the people can be finaleeee assured, their money ends up in the pockets of exactly those musicians they’re actually listening to…
is not that far away anymore…

and one CLICK will NEVER EVER catch up AGAIN with the profit once a physical sold recording was gaining…
there was the last century…then there was napster and all for free…now we’re here…
where it’s at…more money in the game than ever, just in the wrong hands…AGAIN…
but not for that much longer…no worries, my sonic friends…

but for now…sad but truu…so let’s swallow and face this…always work with what is there…
but WORK instead of ranting and complaining…

4 Likes

Its not like musicians made much more Money from album sales before streaming, anyway.

@ghostbuddy…at least not in comparison to, what the companies were earning…truu…
and in these post napster days, they’re back in the saddle again…
but that’s all yesterdays parties…soonish…

this

1 Like