The story of Elektron

Most Elektronauts probably know the history, but thought it would be nice to share this over here.

69 Likes

@maymind_trax did you author this article?

3 Likes

Yes I did! Hope lots of folks here enjoy!

43 Likes

Few companies have maintained the relevance and longevity that Elektron has

Nicely done :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Thanks. I didnt know the early years.

1 Like

Great trip down memory lane. Nice to hear from Troberg and @dataline.

I am curious as to why you omitted the Models from the article, but understand if you cannot, or do not, want to discuss why.

2 Likes

Thanks @papertiger.

Not including the Models was simply a word count issue. I didn’t mention the Analog Heat much either, though I wanted to! The piece was already really long as is.

4 Likes

Thank you for your response! :pray:

2 Likes

Nice work :smiley: :+1:

2 Likes

This is an awesome vid from SonicState featuring our favourite boi Cenk talking about the history of Elektron. It’s a little out of date (nearly a decade old) but of course this is irrelevant for the historical stuff:

6 Likes

While many have complained that the Octatrack imparts its own sonic imprint on audio ran through it, given the somewhat dated AD/DA converters, others have argued that it’s exactly this sonic characteristic that has infused so much of the electronic music we all know and love with a unique character. Clean is boring, as many have yelled from the rooftops and into chat forum screens.

Careful - with language this diplomatic, you may find yourself drafted by the UN to resolve thorny geopolitical issues. :rofl:

12 Likes

@maymind_trax, from memory, this is what I think or maybe I didn’t read it the right way or you have another perspective or I’m just a lunatic. I don’t want to be disrespectful, though.

‘‘Machinedrum featured a sequencer with the ability to extend up to 64 steps’’

It was 32 Steps on the first ever Machinedrum.

‘‘12 instrument tracks with the ability to load any number of ‘machines’ for drum-specific sonic sculpting’’

16 instruments.

Thank you for the article, a nice read. :heart::pray:

3 Likes

Ah, thanks for pointing that out, @Tchu. I’ll have that fixed in the piece regarding 16 instruments. I didn’t mention the first iteration of the Machinedrum vs the second because of space issues and because the second iteration is more common these days, but yes, the first one had 32 step length max.

1 Like

yeah I was initially nitpicking in my brain just like @Tchu but I then realized if you go over all the tiny differences between versions, it’ll be the longest article ever.

great job on the piece!

2 Likes

Easy way to extend the article to book-length. :innocent:

4 Likes

I would love to see a graphic novel.

7 Likes

@Wolf-Rami could sell it in his book store!

7 Likes

Funny to hear you say that, I was already thinking the same thing. I have a bunch of other quotes and information from all of the people I interviewed and it was quite difficult to keep the piece to this length, even though it’s quite long at 3500 words. I’m definitely considering working on a longer version of it that goes even more in depth, talks more about the three founding members more, and talks about the products I didn’t get to mention. Cool to hear that other people might be interested in such a thing.

Thanks to everyone for reading and sharing this. Quite heartwarming to see. Appreciate you all.

9 Likes

Haha thank you @obscurerobot :smile:

2 Likes

did they tell you when OT mk3 is coming out?

spill the beans :canned_food:

8 Likes