The sound of the A4/AK... like or dislike?

…back to this again!

Uh-huh.

Volume doesn’t define fatness or richness or depth - I personally thought we were talking about qualities beyond how high you’ve dialled a sub

Again, this points more to issues with arrangement, sound choices, or mixing skills

Me too! Even if something ends up playing a background role, I search for character. With analogs I mostly tend towards richer sounds, something that makes you stop with a bit of a wow. But of course other people look for different things.

Thanks for posting these, I’ll take a read! Do you know if any of them specifically relate to bass use?

1 Like

For me this is the argument.
I’m sure that A4 it’s a great instrument.
I know that it can deliver juicy basses.
I know that it can produce a lot of amazing evolving sounds.

BUT…

compared with other synths, A4’s vco at init sounds thin and flat.
One more opinion: it is weak without modulation of more parameters. It really shines if heavy modulated.

I agree: it’s a subjective matter, it’s only personal taste. This is the reason why we’ll be stuck on this topic for ever, talking about it for ever and ever… :joy:

1 Like

No!! I like it!!! You’re WRONG!!! EVERYBODY IS WRONG!!! :stuck_out_tongue: :joy:

:heart_decoration:

5 Likes

No need to upoad anything. I find your comparison very comprehensive and interesting.

The fact that you own an Erebus and a Toraiz AS-1 (which I‘m lusting for as a bass synth atm) shows me that you know what you‘re talking about.

As does your statement about the init osc sound ;p

1 Like

Well for what it’s worth, here’s
Dälek:
Same thing with the Analog Four, I’ve been using that a lot for basslines, synthlines and atmospheres. They’re versatile, man. I can’t say that I use it for one thing, I’ve been using it kind of all over the place, which is nice!” (endquote)

Some producer once said something like 'there’s always one particular sound that a synth can make that other synths can’t" I like that sentiment and feel that, for me seems true for the Analog Four. Personally, I don’t really love the Analog Four for bass but it’s workable. It really suits people who want the most bang for buck and be dawless. I think it shines in ambient sounds, FX and getting lost in creating that sort of stuff.

Keep in mind, the songs you love might have been made using gear before the Analog Four was made. So if you’re chasing “that sound” then, yeah; why not try some other stuff. I recently got my hands on a JU-06A, totally different experience; almost instant gratification to get some of “those sounds i recognize and love”" but also kind of boring compared to the sonic adventures i can have with just the Analog Four.

3 Likes

I would love to see a video of him deconstruct songs. I love Dälek & honestly if the past two albums are mostly A4 basslines, it’s pretty clear the A4 is more than capable for bass.

Without getting too off topic… I’d be interested in hearing more of your thoughts on the JU-06a if you’ve posted them anywhere? I LOVE the sound of the Juno 60 and haven’t had chance to hear much of the 06a clone yet.

I like this quote too, but generally it works better when thinking of synths with a real character. What’s the one sound the A4 can make that no other synth can? I’m interested in people’s thoughts… but I suspect that instead of a real recognisable signature character, it’ll just be more repeated chatter about how it can do modulation or ‘fit better in a mix’ as that’s the pretty standard theme.

I personally don’t think anyone is going to be chasing or copying the ‘analog four sound’ in the future, because it doesn’t have much of a desirable sound. Rather, it has some desirable tricks in the programming. IMO, if Elektron were to make something with as much potential for complexity, but with hefty, characterful analog VCOs and VCF… oh, and without the horrendous workflow… Now that really could be a future classic!

The Dalek quote is interesting, although I’d still suggest is pretty rare. I’d also suggest they might be employing other synths / subs underneath to bolster the sound (which many many people do - hell, I stacked Sub Phatty and a Peak the other day, and you could swim in the sound it had so much depth - it’s just worth bearing in mind). I think the point was and is, that it really isn’t regarded as a go-to bass synth. You can always find one or two exceptions, but the point still bears some truth.

For sure, you can make a bass sound with a load of stuff, I don’t think anyone is suggesting the A4 doesn’t play the low notes! Just that it really isn’t suited to it, because of its inherent sound and character (or lack of it). It’s a weird thing, how so many people often agree the A4 isn’t good at something (bass stuff being a good example) whilst also getting really defensive about it, determined to proclaim “but it can!”.

As a further aside, I’m involved in a shit-ton of gigs (over 1300 per year when COVID isn’t keeping us all locked up) and work with hundreds and hundreds of other musicians… and I don’t ever see or hear anyone rolling with an A4 for bass. But it’s apparently really hard to accept that here!

I think there’s potentially quite a lot of ‘proving my purchase to be a good decision’ in these A4 threads (and in general on Elektronauts, as someone suggested recently before the thread was shut down, I’m not sure why). And that comes with frequent implications that anyone who dislikes the A4 can be written off as someone who “doesn’t put the time in” or is somehow a lesser mortal for preferring “instant gratification synths” (not you in this post @Burn_Cycle, but your use of the term reminded me!) whilst in reality, the conversation is often steered by people speaking as if they’re a great authority on the subject, when they might have little experience with synths, performing, or music production in general (again, I’m not suggesting anyone in particular, it’s just a general observation).

3 Likes

The “sitting well in a mix” thing is funny because it’s not instantly apparent what it means, especially if you’re not that familiar with the A4 but last night I noodled with the Lyra8 and A4 and made a simple noisy techno track, and honestly the A4 with it’s “lack of character” was PERFECT for the drums under the almost-too-much-character Lyra8. No matter how over the top I went with the Lyra8, when properly gain staged the drums sounded good without me doing basically any mixing. I think it’s great and in a way a much better or at least more usable “character” than some older synth that sounds really lush on it’s own but drowns out everything else.

Better drop me a pm “what do you think about ju-06a?” ill give the honest rundown (compared to 101a and d-05 since i had/have those). Wouldn’t want to derail by focusing on the ju-06a. But when we’re comparing w A4 : I have a feeling most would like the sound of ju-06a , it sounds familiar and programs like a breeze, no menu diving. Saves you a lot of time when you find out all you actually want is a juno lead. I Don’t think this would spark any debate like with the a4, any1 can use ju-06a and make a decent bread and butter synth lead or bass. Using the A4 as a bread and butter synth doesn’t make much sense to me personally, when it shines at weird FX and p-locked grooves.

I approach this mindset in terms of a go-to patch, not character (I think thats what the quote literally meant , being so particular). I have 3 patches on the TX81Z i love (not lately bass) that i instantly fell in love with, perfect, done. No other synth can approach them. For the A4, it’s difficult to pick just one patch in that way but i have a few go -to ambient patches and noise patches i cant replicate with other synths so far.

Examples are better than vague terms. Here’s a sound i sure can’t make with a Juno,etc (timestamped to my exact example):

Notice how the sound changes drastically with the use of aftertouch and the general modulation madness going on there. Ofcourse theres reverb in it, but thats just the DNA of the A4 and the Reverb could possibly be described as “the A4 sound”.

In terms of character, i could argue the versatility of the A4 is the character. Same video totally different sound example. Instead of a modular madness going on, it sounds like a 90’s rompler to me:

When you got the A4 loaded up with go-to sounds that make sense for you, It’s neat. If it wouldn’t have any memory, than it would be pretty terrible dialing in whatever you wanted to achieve. In that case i would prefer the Ju-06a for everything.

9 Likes

…hey kids…let’s at least agree on the fact, that there’s no other truu analog synth out there,
where people got lost in arguing about it that much… :wink:

alone for this, it remains a unique machine of it’s own…

and i feel big pity for every kiddo here, that states it did’nt do the trick for me…especially in bass sounds…poor uuuu’s…swedish mindset is not for everybodys cookie candle…
fair enough…
play elsewhere…

and big spoiler alert…no bassline from mode selector came from a truu analog synth ever…
those clean but fad lines u guys expect in first place, all come from crushed digital osc’s, tics and snippets of modular stripped up in logic and lots of further compressor treatment at the end of the day…while truu analog low end can be found in any truu analog synth…
but to become relateable in any recording, it’s another compressor job again…
yup…the world’s not fair…i know…
but hey…peace…anyways.

I think this is sort of like the character of Analog Four. Droning epic ambient modulated sounds like this soundtrack. You can hear my first youtube example a little up in the thread and compare with this when clicking a bit anywhere on the timeline but compare this for instance:

2 Likes

I really like the noise generator on the A4 - you can really go to some great places with 4 tracks and 64 steps of pure lush noise. I also run the DFAM’s noise through it and modulate that, its gets noisey and crazy pretty quickly…

While the A4 did take some time to shine, I’ve had it now for 4 years and still am finding new ways to make sounds I really like… I like its complexity and it make the sounds I want…

6 Likes

Always loved your videos :+1: great patches

1 Like

The chances of you knowing that for a fact are nil. Those of that statement being true aren‘t great either.

They used a lot of analog gear in the early days. And Moderat (which were the ones mentioned earlier, not Mode Selektor) made heavy use of a modular system for at least the last two albums.

A nice loopop overview of some more overlooked features of the A4 and what makes it shine. These, and the neighbor functionality are unique features and make it a very special synth. It’s DCO’s so no, it doesn’t have the instant liveliness of VCO’s but thats easily dialed in through the tons of modulation options, not necessarily costing an LFO or an env even. And thats a lot better than almost every DCO synth out there!

6 Likes

I’m not respinding to this specifically, but more generally your comments about having a hard time finding a punchy & deep bass sound. It took me a while to feel comfortable dialing in bass that sounded properly deep on the A4, but I’ve learned a couple things. Apologies in advanced if you already know this, it’s hard to keep track of everything everyone has said in this thread. Some folks on this forum suggest using the HP setting on the second filter and adjusting key tracking to 32 to getting more booming bass, which is true. For a while I was only getting half decent bass because i was using keytracking on Filter 1 as well. Again, you might already know this info but I hope it was helpful! take care

4 Likes

I used to have an A4 and traded it towards a Prophet 6. At the time I was looking for something with a “dumb” interface with no menus and more immediacy, like an instrument—the P6 is perfect for this. I still have the P6 but I miss the A4. When I listen back to recordings I did with the A4 I am reminded of how good a computer it is. I did not find it immediate to work with, but for me it shines by bridging the gap between “modular music” and control. Those moments I would have with a modular patch where I’d think “whoa, this is great, but I want to insert a step here or add modulation to just this step” and I’d quickly realize how much of a patch I’d have to undo or how many more patch cables it would take to achieve the idea at the expense of killing “the moment”. With the A4, I could just p-lock some things or copy/paste steps and be on my way.

This is how I approached the A4. I did not find it “expressive”, but rather “very facilitating”. I am not a professional. No serious bass. To me, the sound is good enough—it has some sweet spots, but it also has more range and capability than most synths that are being compared to it. Those sweet spots may not overlap with your expectations/hopes/dreams/fantasies. It does not do “lately bass”.

14 Likes

Surely then it’s more desirable to have a Digitakt sequencing a better sounding synth?! That gives all the p locks etc…

Tried 3x to love it. Amazing sequencer, effects, sounds too(especially the drums sounds!), but couldn’t get my “sound” from it. Exchanged for a Prophet 6 and never missed it. Sooo much in love with the Prophet. The Sound ! The interface and immediacy. Perfect. I got back in love sequencing with Ableton/Push/Key step and capturing the best jams. The filter is soooo satisfying ! Rarely got this with the A4 MKII and if than often the creative window was gone because the programming took too long. But that is just me. Everybody is different.

5 Likes

“Better” sound will always be subjective. This can only be determined by the user. One can achieve complex ideas with the A4, and the sound follows that. Would I reach for the A4 for a specific sound? I can’t think of any, honestly. Would I reach for it for a process or exploration? More likely. My memory of the A4 is of “open” buzzy/airy pad sounds (someone mentioned Oberheim further back, i could kinda see that), or very tight/rubbery single vco lines like an MC-202.

I personally dislike Elektron sequencers for external MIDI sequencing. You miss out on slides, performance macros, breath, velocity, and aftertouch modulations. I think the modulation settings of the A4 (and AR) are incredibly understated and a big advantage over the Digitakt/Digitone sequencers.

2 Likes