The sound of the A4/AK... like or dislike?

That argument doesn‘t work in reverse.

1 Like

The A4 is imho great for Berlin School.

1 Like

:man_facepalming:t3: :joy:

1 Like

Exactly the point - it doesn’t work in either direction.

Just because “serious musicians” or “pros” use something doesn’t imply that it’s the best thing for that purpose. People should use the tools that work for them. If it happens to be that same tools that other people use, cool. If not, cool. It has no bearing on whether a tool is good for the job you are using it for.

I’m sure you can find plenty of threads in “secret weapons” where folks use things for unintended uses to great success.

And threads about popular gear that people just don’t like.

5 Likes

Not to mention that this is an official track with loads of mixing, mastering and so on to make it sound perfect. It´s not smart to compare a total fully produced sounds in a song with the flat raw sound of a synth. Any synth can be turned into “that” sound.
IMHO doing that is simply just trolling. The A4 is fine as a bass synth. It´s the creative mind behind the machine, not the machine.

10 Likes

Finally? :slight_smile: You’re funny.

I’ve never said my sounds are sick, quite the opposite really, no problem admitting I’ve got a long way ahead of me.

I don’t own an A4 anymore, but fancy the idea of getting one again. IMO for bass, the A4 is a synth that fits well into the mix without additional processing, whereas the Moog usually requires additional processing to fit well into the mix.

1 Like

sure, sorry for mentioning it

3 Likes

I sold my A4 because I didn’t like the bass sounds I could get out of it. But now I totally regret letting it go. I have other synths that are great at bass. But nothing analog that has the modulation capabilities of the A4. Maybe I would want the A4 if it was my only synth. But in a setup where its modulation strengths can shine along with other gear with ground-shaking bass, it is a great synth.

1 Like

Are we rowing backwards a little?

Ok sorry, my bad. Gonna tame my tone a bit. Sometimes :slight_smile:

1 Like

No that was not the point. The original argument asking which pros use the A4 is logical. Turning it around isn‘t.

I would say in the majority of the cases it implies exactly that - it’s at least a pretty damn good indication (with the exception of sponsoring or endorsement). There‘s a reason why you see the same tools over and over in pro studios.

1 Like

You do you! Validation is optional! Consensus is temporal!

What do you mean?

First you said that with all the A4s capability one had to try hard to not come up with punchy bass lines. Which sounds very much like you find it very easy to program bass on the A4.

Then you said, obviously not everyone has the patience to put in the time to create dope sounds. Which sounds very much like you did.

I said earlier that I can‘t get satisfying bass out of the A4. Then I proved that I put in the time to try. You asked me to show references to underline my point. I did that.

Now I‘m asking you back. Fair enough isn’t it?

And the best you can come up with is that your not happy with your sounds either?

Sounds cool. Who needs logic?

When it comes to finding the right bass sound, professionals do

Ok let‘s talk about pros.

I‘m a bit on thin ice here as I never went fully pro but I can confidently say that I earned a few bucks that definitely helped paying the rent making music for film.

The most important thing about gear I learned during that time is this:

you grab the thing that just works. You have a deadline and no time to f*** around. If a synth requires me to sit with it for 2h to get the right sound out of it it‘s not the right tool for the job.

And if I can dial in that sound in 2min with another synth that costs 2K USD then that‘s very well invested money bcs it boosts my productivity.

And productivity is key if your life depends on music.

Elektronauts Should provide plenty professional arguments on using the Analog Four. Here’s some interviews that mention various (pro) artists thoughts/feelings on A4:

Basecamp: Elektronauts
Sonic Mayhem:Elektronauts
AUX 88: Elektronauts
Wilco: Elektronauts
Pepe Mogt: Elektronauts
Factory Floor: Elektronauts
James Orvis: Elektronauts
Daniel Birczynski:Elektronauts
Dälek:Elektronauts
Pawel Blaszczak:Elektronauts
Headless Horseman:Elektronauts
Collapsing Scenery:Elektronauts
K.A.N.T.A: Elektronauts
Zonal: Elektronauts
Timo Kaukolampi / K-X-P: Elektronauts
Rik Simpson: Elektronauts
Joel Pickard: Elektronauts
Rogét Chahayed: Elektronauts

7 Likes

These subjective opinion threads seem to really have no end.

7 Likes