The seven circles of hell of trying to control an Elektron LFO's start point

OK I’ve got to sort this once and for all. I’ve asked about this in various threads and received some suggestions, but I just can’t nail it, so it’s getting its own thread.

In short, I’ve always struggled on Elektron boxes to set an LFO that begins at the same point in its cycle each time I hit play. On the Tonverk this is made harder (impossible?) by the fact there’s no LFO.T (trigger) option like on the Digitakt, so you cannot say “this trig begins the LFO”.

So, people - and I’m sorry if you’ve told me this in a thread elsewhere; I can’t seem to find where I asked - how are you achieving this?

I’ve tried a plethora of combinations of LFO settings and plocks on the first step of the sequence e.g. having the LFO dest, speed, mult and wave set on the track but then plocking the depth on the first trig of the sequence. No joy. I’ve tried lots of various on that e.g. having the LFO set to no destination on the track, then plocking the destination on the first trig.

Suppose you want a sequence (of multiple trigs, not one trig with a long sound) to fade in, from volume = 0 on the first trig of the pattern to volume = max on the last trig (assume 1 page). You use an LFO on the amp volume, of course. But every time I hit play (even after doing the double-stop thing to completely kill sound and reset LFOs) it begins at a random point in its curve.

I’ve seen some talk of using bus tracks for but that seems like madness to achieve something so simple, and in case it’s not quite the same (I can’t use a bus track to change a voice track’s LFO envelope, for example.)

I promise this is the last time I’ll ask about this. This is the thread. The one that solves it. Surely. Thank you :crossed_fingers:

4 Likes

Elektron just decided we don’t need to concern our pretty little heads with LFO triggering & slides. Isn’t life better this way?
I was shocked to see it just wasn’t possible, coming from the OT/DN/DT/ST/AR.

If people keep reminding them, we might see it in a future update.

You can trig lfo on the first step with Trig mode plocked, and use Free mode as track’s setting.

3 Likes

yes BUT this is broken for FX LFOs. I get that they are mono LFOs but they do not get retriggered even when configured this way.

I e-mailed support about it and they said they consider it a bug (as opposed to “dont care, wont change”)

There is also a bug on ONE and HALF mode in DN2: when the LFO runs the half or one cycle it resets its value to a specific value in the table instead of keeping the one at half of end of one cycle. This is in 1.11 and 1.12.

Is confusing because you assume you can trust the settings to set up specific sounds but once you start digging confusion hits quick.

This adds to the fact that we don’t have a way to see the effect of the LFO over the modulated parameter which in certain subtle configurations makes understanding what’s happening very confusing.