"The Pipe" from SOMA Labs

I should say that it fits in really well in a non-tonal context, like playing its various algorithms (not just the mic) with a modular setup. I mean where gestures and textures matter more, and you don’t have to coordinate pitches to stay in key–unless you have the singing skills, which I don’t. I’ve tried it with an auto-tuner, but I’d still have to practice a lot.

It’s great for percussion, for kick/snare patterns. It’s super responsive to dynamic and tone variations, so you have a lot of control over the nuances of those two sounds, which makes your beat far more lively than an ordinary drum sequencer. But it’s all you, so it only holds the groove as long as you do. When I’m playing a groove and reach out with the free hand to wiggle a knob on another piece of gear, I lose the groove, and the music weeps. I also haven’t yet hit on an easy way to make the bass/snare sound good in the live mix. It’s fun to play, but I’ve been too lazy to make it fun to listen to.

I wouldn’t use it live myself, I just want to sample bits then manipulate in my sampler. At least that’s how I envision myself using it.

It’s good for that of course. There’s a good variety of algorithms, which I expect you can see demoed on YouTube. What you won’t be able to sense from YT is the way each algorithm responds to vocalizing and other sounds you make into the contact mic. It’s not only very sensitive, but the algorithms often move in unexpected ways depending on how you change your voice, so the thing is always generating novel modulations. And then there are the knobs. I’ve been concentrating on processing the straight mic sound for live performance because I have a lot of Eurorack to cover me for me for novel sounds and modulations.

Some Digitone and Model:Samples with Pipe on the side

3 Likes

that was a really nice use of the Pipe!

1 Like

Is this a Pro-3 or a The Pipe video? I figure The Pipe’s starved for attention, hence this necrobump:

2 Likes

Late to the party, but just ordered a Pipe!

Kind of wondering why there is so little talk and videos about this curious instrument? Is too niche for most people?

(Might add an Enner later as well :))

3 Likes

Will be interested to hear how you get on with it.

4 Likes

I had the pipe on my list. The demos from soma are great. It seems very expressive and can create a good connection between sound and body.

But i think the instrument makes more sense, when the person is trained to sing notes. So this made me avoid the pipe.

Did you already had the opportunity to test it?

…in theory, it’s a great concept…

but it was one of the rare occassions, i used thomanns money back guarantee within 30 days of use…

it get’s pretty heavy after a while in action…
the mouthpiece is a great and solid thing…and most of the algorithms are great, too…
BUT it also has some pretty cheap dsp’s in there to create all the wet standard fx make up and i was surprised to learn, there’s no way aoround them…so, no matter how dry u wanna go with a reverb and it’s tail, it always remains an essential part of the whole signal chain…

so u got a very unique and direct way to translate all sorts of mouth and throat sounds/impulses into something, but no chance to get all that also dry…at least some uberobvious same cheap reverb is always “singing” along with u…

So, I got it and tried it for a bit. It is harder than I thought to master it. You really need to practice and experiment with it to get better sounds out of it.

So far, I like it, but not sure if I keep it. It depends on how well I will master it :stuck_out_tongue: not sure if I’m capable enough.

It is nothing like singing though. The manual offers some clearly explained excercises which will help you learn to play it.

1 Like

I hope you will master it! And maybe we can hear something someday :wink:

did you keep your Pipe?

the mic part is really fun but running a line in is so so cool

1 Like