"The Pipe" from SOMA Labs

One for sale on SOS U.K…

Gone already!

Its a nice effects processor https://www.instagram.com/p/BrK13OEoxU0/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=g9hfcnadgld0

I got the flat and the bassy mic. They shipped separately and I haven’t used the flat since the bassy showed up

Yeah I can imagine wanting all the mics!
Not to mention whacking all the other gear through it using the jack input, which was a master stroke by Soma!

were the two mics included or did you order and had to pay for one extra? and may I also ask if you got a printed manual included or not? because mine came with one standard mic and no manual. thanks a lot! anyways, a great esoteric funk machine… i really really love it…

I’ve bought two The Pipes, including a special order from Soma. The direct purchase required me to specifically ask for the flat and bassy, and they adjusted the price accordingly. The other vendor included all three mics in the package, which I didn’t expect, but I assume their price was adjusted to include the cost. No printed manual either time.

The full set of mics is a must, as their differences are definitely musically useful. Yeah, the bassy is great as @PlumWrinkles mentions above, but with certain of my amps it’s sometimes too boomy for my taste.

1 Like

wow thank you so much - that helps a lot - so the flat is not the standard mic, correct? will go and get me the two others - the pipe is so “no words”… :grinning:

is it normal that with some algorithms you can here a click/noise/pop when you switch/touch/lift your finger on/from the sensor FX? especially with reverb / delay sounds… did someone have the same experience? or could it be that i have a grounding issue with my unit?

Actually, I forget which one is guaranteed to come with a stock pipe. If you’re unsure which one you have, compare the lengths of the flat and stock. The bassy is obvious.

Yes, I think The Pipe is 100% The Shit because its dynamic response makes its expressiveness like playing an acoustic instrument. It’s a whole different ballgame than wiggling or Elektron-ing.

No, I don’t get clicking with the sensor FX. Are you in a particularly dry climate?

okay - thanks a lot - I will check on the net or see if i find a dealer which explains the diffs and shows pictures - in regards to the clicks and humidity we have 62% humidity at the moment - so you have a smooth overlapping when you touch on/off the FXs - great :slight_smile:

I’ve never noticed clicking, but the sensor can remain permanently actuated when the humidity is high. I’ve had to implement a fix by installing extra resistors.

1 Like

Look what I found - it explains the 3 different mic types…

2 Likes

I prefer to smoke my soma in a vape not a pipe :pray:

Ordered mine! This will for sure be the most unusual instrument I own once it arrives :joy:

2 Likes

I haven’t seen any new Pipe tracks in a long time, so I’m sharing me practicing for live performance:

I’m still trying to find a Pipe response that I like. This wasn’t the best take for this setup, but the only one I have a recording for:

Pipe improv:

1 Like

What kind of potential do you see in singing into it? I liked your music to tie off piece.

Thanks. Actually, in all my Pipe tracks, I’m using the Pipe’s straight mic algorithm, and I’m singing with outboard processing. The Pipe’s contact mic is super-responsive, reflecting all your vocal and oral nuances, so the better you sing (the more practiced your vocal and breath control), the more you’ll like it. I’m no singer (at all) so it takes a lot of practice to keep the timbre and rhythm together. My improvs are pretty rough, but I do like playing it–you just pick it up and blow–so I share these little demos of what the Pipe can do.

1 Like

I was initially interested in the pipe as a percussion instrument and also long evolving drones, but I became curious if it can be sung into with good results. I’m looking forward to hearing more from your explorations with it! :alien: