The perfect sample pack for your Digitakt?

Hey everyone, I’m thinking of putting together a Digitakt sample pack and curious to know what people would want, cheers :+1:

What samples is your Digitakt craving for?

Would you want “sounds” included in the pack?

What about demo patterns, are they important to you?

What packs have you bought recently that you rate highly?

What I like in a perfect sample pack, is when you feel inspired when browsing the sounds. Not just when listening to demos.

Usually we’ll all feel inspired but the demos and when purchased, it is often that packs are not much more than what was used for the demos and then some fillers.

Dont be like that, dont fill your pack with stuff you wouldnt use yourself just so that you boost the number of one shots / files…

A perfect pack should have nice original or great sounding drum shots. Quite often I happen to be browsing drum one shots and find that they all sound the same.

Digitakt’s stock sounds are actually more than decent but you’ll find yourself wanting more in no time.

What I find myself craving, is chords or pads or loops that I can compose with or chop up or feel inspired by.

Sounds, like fx style sounds or kitchen noises or whatever are best left out of the pack :wink:

Also size matters, Digitakt has 1Gb storage. While that feels like a lot, if you have a decent sample folder or already have packs loaded, you can find yourself strapped.

1 Like

Hey @nIdaL thanks for your reply!

Absolutely, each sound needs to inspire

Sure thing, quality content only, agreed

Do you want a pack that covers all basses… maybe a genre specific pack like Hip Hop or Techno that has a variety of drums, basses, leads etc… or a pack that just covers only chords or drum breaks for example?

Ok, interesting, when you say loops, what kind of thing?

Yeah, I think also important is good sample cropping, too often there is too much silence at the end of samples taking up precious space.

When I say loops, it depends on the genre…

It could be just a curated pad that loops nicely or a little looped chord progression…

Breaks is a great idea too but often they arent included for copyrights issues.

Truth be told, if you happen to play/compose/program dope breaks yourself, chances are you’ll keep them for yourself :wink:

Hey!

In no particular order, some input from me, but it’s all personal of course.

Awesome. I think it starts with the type of genre. Often packs that have a combination of different genres I tend to use less. So I by now only opt for specific techno packs if they fit my taste (warehouse rave industrial kind of stuff), and are great quality. I’ve bought some other types of packs, but mostly then also I buy them because they have a character to them. So I’d say: put some of your style in it; it won’t be for éveryone, but it will stand out to all the generic stuff. (For example, I’m sure you’ll know what I mean: some of the samples or patches packs on the Elektron Website are great in this, you really know what kind of esthetic you’re getting with some of the different packs)

If not specific style or genre, then, following the previous, I like packs most with samples with character. Not too “outspoken”/weird that they’re unuseable, but simple samples that stand out, which helps me come up with new tracks.

I like good quality simple oneshots way better then weird stuff or loops. If that base is covered, it’s a nice bonus if there’s also a selection of unconventional samples that might be better for mangling - in that case I’d convert them for Octa.

Apart from genre and music taste:

I mostly use folders on the DT. But the Electronisounds techno pack was a great start to quickly have a lot of bases covered in the DT. You know that one? It’s got lots of bread and butter quality one shots. All made into sounds that fill up half of the DT banks. I mostly only use sounds for only that pack, plus some of my own favorites. I think their implementation of two banks of synth and bass one shots and single cycles is done really well. There’s a lot of good ones in them. Really showed my the possibilities of DT beyond being a drum computer. They also made the pack so that it used very little MB. Its not got a very big personality or outspoken voice / style, but for general purposes I liked it a lot.

To answer your questions:
Sounds option: can be nice, no dealbreaker.
Example patterns: not interested.
Addition: good SoundCloud / YouTube examples, highly appreciated! There’s many packs that only demo some of the patches, and I’m often hesitant to buy them.

What styles/genres are you mostly working in?

Same here, I prefer more specific packs

Yep, I likey

I’ve not purchased it but I know the one yes

So is loading up sounds as opposed to samples your preferred method of working with the DT? I personally only use sounds if they happen to have lots of settings, if its just a case of loading a simple kick I’ll load one to the sample pool.

Good to know

Cool

Understood, I agree

Long time producer, working on anything from Ambient, trip hop, house, techno, electro etc… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Didn‘t read the above suggestions, maybe I‘m repeating some things.

I often really like it when there‘s multiple variations of the same sound. Kinda the same frequency response, but different startpoints in the phase. Or various cycles through the noise form.
Just to get some sort of round-robin through the samples.

Chords or tone- or noise-type sounds are also always nice when they‘re perfectly loopable, just so it‘s more flexible to form with holding notes, pitching around, etc. Just for the sake of utility.

Good descriptions about root notes or bpm are very helpful to have on longer samples with instruments playing.

Yeah so no, I’m not sure if sounds would be something I’d focus on, but please see the other responses to make your decision:)

Additional: there’s pros and cons for this one, but I sometimes appreciate it if a pack is nicely over-organized. For example a folder with 48 and a folder with 44.1. Plus, and sometimes this really is a timesaver, when samples are organized in many different subfolders per instrument, I love it when the pack also has a folder with all samples batched together (name files all starting with the abbreviation of the type ideally). I always use that folder, don’t like to browse through different folders. But the next person might like that, so offering the samples double, in both ways of folder structure, is a nice help.

Ok interesting, will keep in mind

1 Like

@Lauli
@nIdaL
@lesstalkmoredisco

Hey guys, I’ve created a couple of sample packs and since you helped me with your suggestions I thought I’d thank you by giving you a bonus discount code for the packs.

Discount Code: 6SC6F06PNI

The code is valid for 50% off your purchases
And can be used 5x times before it expires

All the best

2 Likes

Key labelled tonal stuff?

1 Like

Yes :blush:

Bought! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Amazing! Hope you enjoy!

Bought as well