The Perfect Mixer [MOTU Ultralite AVB]

I’m enjoying my 828es.
I had planned my routing for each input and output before I got it - default routing has outputs 1and2 automatically configured for your B pair of speakers. (The A pair is to the main out iirc)
Took me a while to figure out why the routing matrix didn’t seem to be responding as I wanted…worked fine once I switched off the B pair.

It’s still very much listed as an active product on Motu’s site.
https://motu.com/en-us/products/audio-products/compact-mobile/

The DAC is significantly upgraded. In fact there was an earlier version of the MK4 that was upgraded but didn’t have the Sabre32 DAC that is featured on the other high end MOTU products. It was available for about a year and then they added the Sabre32 DAC to the MK4 around 2018, I believe.
I use it daily, it replaced my Duet 2 and there was no loss of quality. I lost nothing with the switch, only gained more inputs and a much better Mac driver with lower latency.
And on that note, the drivers are upgraded as well, as it utilizes the newer AVB driver. If it’s stability and low latency you desire, MK4 > MK3

3 Likes

Found a mint mk4 on one of the 2nd hand sites here in japan. I was just about to get something else when the item got listed. Happy I won’t have to compromise and I’m looking forward to the box arriving :slight_smile:

Anything I should know as a new mk4 owner?

Sounds strange I know, but I think these interfaces are great for Dawless setups.

I’ve just got the AVB UltraLite as master and also a pair of 24 channel Ai / Ao rack boxes. They can all be networked together to essentially give you an extendable dynamic digital patch bay, where you can record any of the patch points.

All of the mixer and routing logic is stored on the MOTU units rather than a computer, so you can use them entirely without being connected to any DAW. I can patch the synths and FX I want to use into an analog mixer - although using the onboard mixer could be interesting.

Good to hear you can address mixer controls via OSC. I’ve only just got the kit, so not had a chance to play yet, but would be great if you could create some kind of MIDI / OSC hookup to be able to change mixer params, but also to switch between routing presets. Then when you do want to use Ableton or whatever you could have a MIDI clip to jump you to the right routing settings for that specific project.

The units are a few years old now, but seem really solid - would recommend.

Anyone have experience with the mk4 and/or AVB on Windows?

I’ve an Ultralite AVB - works great with W10 both Intel i7 and I recently upgraded my mobo and chip to an AMD Ryzen. Though I don’t use the AVB features or mixer other than to open up channels etc.
Also using an ADA8200 with it and works well.
Cubase/Ableton/wide range of VSTs and acoustic/eurorack IO.

1 Like

Just tried it. It works perfectly. Thx a lot you really helped me to solve a problem the best way. So now I use AUM and can record my live session multitrack with my iPad and use any virtual instrument as well. Very very good :slight_smile: I plugged my Micro express midi interface to the Ultralite midi in, to be able to control the virtual synth, it works. And yes it’s still possible to use motu Discovery app to control the internal mixer if connected to the motu network, just switching between apps works well for me.

2 Likes

Does the Ultralite comes with a usb-c cable to usb-c for the new macbook pro?

MK4 listed as ‘no longer available’ in Long & McQuade’s website here in Canada. They have a MK3 in stock though. Usually things list a delay or estimated ship time for either the warehouse or manufacturer. They only list it as above when a product has been discontinued. Hopefully not the case. I’ve been eyeballing interfaces and this was on the list.

I just got my mk4 a few days ago. No problems with Win10. It works perfectly and I am super happy with it! Only complaint I have is that it lacks a monitor output knob.

1 Like

What is the Main volume knob for?
I always thought it was a digital monitor controller.

oh snap. well I’m new to this thing so please excuse my ignorance: pushing the knob actually switches between “main vol” and “phones”.

1 Like

MOTU 828es ADAT with an Apogee Ensemble on W10. Works perfectly and fantastic sounding.

Cool - yeah exactly I remembered that feature, it has been on the ultralite since the early models

I have a mk2 and it’s amazing, noticeably better than the Duet had them both at the same time. It just sounds so accurate with MSP5’s. Drivers were fine, I love the DSP fx too.

MOTU UL mk4 user here, anyone know how I can optimize my latency?

Is it also still the power button? I don’t like that solution. On my mk3 the push action started wearing out and it got harder and harder to use.

What problems are you having? What have you tried?

yeah it is. I agree it’s not ideal. Seems like in 2020 dedicated power buttons are not a thing anymore and it’s driving me insane. At least the UltraLite still has a power button even if it’s not dedicated. Hopefully it will hold up better than yours :slight_smile:

Nope
Comes with FW cable if you go for the hybrid version (Mk3)