The Octatrack is amazing

Hello,
I just wanted to share my happiness for being an Octatrack owner.
I loaded a bunch of vinyl hip hop drums samples and the fact it’s stereo make the samples sound bigger than on DT. It make them sound as they was recorded and mastered so it’s very cool.

Really love the SET and AUDIO POOL workflow. Easy way to have a clean separate differents projects like hip hop and electro.

8 Likes

keep the good news coming my friend

1 Like

I did a Sophie study on my lunch break.

The recipe is basically

1. max out speed on LFO’s, assign them to anything pitch related (faux FM if you will)
  2. apply chorus
  3. apply compression

Drench your samples in steps 1-3

https://www.instagram.com/p/CL6ZHB1hUv9/?igshid=4nfj7r4fel0r

The Octatrack is amazing!

Edit: ooh, play around with the amp settings as well for some fun results…

13 Likes

Nicely done.

Yeah she definitely rocked them clanks.

1 Like

Thank you, it was a fun excercise. The only down side for doing this on the octatrack is that the lfos don’t go into audio rate. But the compression and chorus make up for that. Would be interesting to hear someone do similar stuff on Digitakt.

:thinking: I think they can at fast bpm…

Anyway, with lfo designer, you can make tri or square waves going 8 times faster…
Cymbals and metallic percussions synthesis lab - #10 by sezare56

Lfo on rate for more pitch amplitude.

17 Likes

Ooh, right the LFO designer I always forget about that! Thanks for the tip

Holy cow! I just used your tip and some of the sounds are INSANE! Even more hollow and metallic. Very cool. Thanks again!

3 Likes

Yeah yeah spamming this thread!
I took @sezare56 advice and further ventured into to Sophie territory and I think I went beyond after that.

How bout double compression on the master track! WTFnot? Every crease in the current running through this machine is being picked up by the dual compressors, I hope the audiophiles over at the OT sound quality thread don’t listen to this cause they would probably get a stroke…

Here it is never the less “Ode to SOPHIE”

https://youtu.be/iqA7dChdRBA

Also the Octatrack illustrating why I won’t ever sell it… it truly is amazing. I tried doing the same thing on some of my other devices and I didn’t even get close to this result…

19 Likes

Sounds good! What type of samples did you use as base?

Basically normal drum samples (kicks and what not) from the factory content. The track with the beat is samples from Mars modular sample chain…

1 Like

Reminds me of the famous drum break of In the Air Tonight by Phil Collins.

1 Like

Id be scared to push it this far in case something explodes internally :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you, that is one epic drum break!

Dude, this is amazing. Really nice demo. I should do a study like this on the OT where I go to the very edges of its capability. There’s no need to be afraid, hehe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfcaTZebx9Q

That OT demo with Baseck is insane !

7 Likes

Thank you! Yeah exactly… think of the voices in your head that are telling you not to do this or that. Do exactly the opposite of what they’re telling you, writhing the realms of Octatrack of course!

2 Likes

Are you modulating the compressor envelopes with LFOs? Plocks? Scenes? Of not, give it a try.

I’m totally ignorant regarding Sophie and their music, I watched your clip and while the sound isnt my thing at all, Im enjoying your stoke on OT experiments :slight_smile:

I’m modulating something, can’t remember what though! But yeah that is definetly a thing to try out as well… and thank you! Octa sure rewards exploration imo

Man! Really, really cool! I need to look more into your details here - very inspiring!