The Octatrack can be quite granular-esque [example inside]

that was pretty wild! I actually liked the reverb heavy vocal portion at the beginning best. But the other parts showed off lots of mangling. thanks for sharing

Wind your neck in J0n35y :slight_smile:
Enjoyed this from the start!

Yea me to, good job nikofeyn :slight_smile:

Thanks guys! I honestly thought it was some throw away piece as was being distracted by the kids and had an eye on the football so was very much just mucking about. And I think when you don’t sing much (nearly never) then listening back to your voice is very cringeworthy!

It has given me some ideas of what I’d like to try in future though. In fact, with Overbridge dealing with the mixing/recording of AK/AR then that frees up inputs and at least one track for more mangling. Would be pretty cool to use the OT as a vocal mangler along with some sample playback. Like the potential in that.

Here’s a track I made using nikofeyn’s ideas. Oddly enough once I hit Play on the sequencer just one time to activate the Thru Machine, I still got audio out of the Thru even after I hit Stop. Maybe that’s always been a feature of the Thru.

Live instrument is Microbrute instead of guitar. Because of the Microbrute’s filter, I didn’t use the OT’s filter as much. I did use the LoFi as tremolo idea though.

This topic is probably more appropriate.

I also use lfos on start to modulate grains.

Did you plug your guitar directly in the OT ?

Talking to me? Yes, but not for granular.

no talking to @nikofeyn … but it can apply too :slight_smile: didn’t know i could plug an electric guitar directly in the OT … thought i needed a DA or something

@ML no, i didn’t go straight in. you need something that brings your guitar signal up to line level.

my guitar was going into my eleven rack and then out its line level output into the octatrack.

3 Likes

I often plug my (passive) basses straight in and get pretty good level…certainly can work :slight_smile:

Love your jam on guitar. Very nice!

2 Likes

Straight in, passive guitar.

Now I have to try it granularesquely. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Guitar straight in, granular approach…

15 Likes

Lovely !

2 Likes

Granular percussions (Elektron demo sample). 128kbs mp3.

Principle : START defines the grain position, LEN (TIME mode) defines its length. I added an lfo on VOL matching LEN, in order to have fade in / fade out.

4 tracks, 4 instances of the sample with lfo on START.
At 2"30 I change TRIM Start / End values, it changes all instances trim.

Track 5 records and play CUE with feedback (CUE send), 1 octave up + reverb.

Comp + Delay on Master track.

(@Castor and @meshmachine if interested…)

14 Likes

Awesome setup!

1 Like

Fire :fire:

1 Like

This is exactly what I’m after. Thank you.

Are you applying the TRIG COUNT condition to every trigger on every track?

How do you octave up track 5 playback while recording on the same track without the audio cutting out / glitching as the play head passes the record head?

No envelope need with it. I added trig counts, but there are not essential.

Lfo is an lfo designer making a tri wav
Step 1 = -127
Step 2 = 0
Etc…
Slides everywhere (trig + tempo).

Constant pitch up is a secret recipe for the moment. :content:
I used 2 recorders. :wink:

5 Likes

Teaser : I’m still working on this, not easy, but I had very interesting results with realtime granular approach from incoming audio, radio for instance (possible with an existing sample).

Setup with 6 voices (6 tracks sampling grains), 1 track for grains preparation (delay, pitch, feedback), and 1 master fx track.

The grains track let you apply an envelope to grains (per step), and the 6 voices record those steps (RLEN=1).

I play the 6 voices with midi plays free tracks, with 6 defined notes, 6 different channels corresponding to track 1-6. They send recording note, then a chromatic sample trigger.

5 Likes